wrapping a map

Bugzilla from iw@ukulele.com
What's the tool that wraps a flat image around a hemispherical shaped object?
I'm trying to make a flat map (geographical) look slightly curved.

Thanks,
Wayne

Re: wrapping a map

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
On Saturday 14 May 2005 23:34, wayne wrote:
> What's the tool that wraps a flat image around a hemispherical
> shaped object? I'm trying to make a flat map (geographical) look
> slightly curved.

The filter
Filters->map->object...

You will have to pick a sphere and enlarge the whitespace around your
image until the area of your image gets only as curved as you want
(and do not wrap around the whole sphere).

> Thanks,
> Wayne

Re: wrapping a map

On Saturday 14 May 2005 05:36 pm, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

> On Saturday 14 May 2005 23:34, wayne wrote:
> > What's the tool that wraps a flat image around a hemispherical
> > shaped object? I'm trying to make a flat map (geographical) look
> > slightly curved.
>
> The filter
> Filters->map->object...
>
> You will have to pick a sphere and enlarge the whitespace around your
> image until the area of your image gets only as curved as you want
> (and do not wrap around the whole sphere).

When I do Filters ->map->object, the "map object" selection is grayed out. How
do I un-gray it?

Thanks,
Wayne

Re: wrapping a map

Andreas Waechter
wayne wrote:
> When I do Filters ->map->object, the "map object" selection is grayed out. How
> do I un-gray it?

AFAIK some filters only work on RGB mode images or a flat image.

--
Andreas Waechter
mailto:[hidden email]

Re: wrapping a map

On Saturday 14 May 2005 10:15 pm, Andreas Waechter wrote:

> wayne wrote:
> > When I do Filters ->map->object, the "map object" selection is grayed
> > out. How do I un-gray it?
>
> AFAIK some filters only work on RGB mode images or a flat image.

Thanks, that did it.

Wayne

Re: wrapping a map

Bugzilla from horkana@maths.tcd.ie

On Sat, 14 May 2005, wayne wrote:

> Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 16:34:49 -1000
> From: wayne <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Gimp-user] wrapping a map
>
> What's the tool that wraps a flat image around a hemispherical shaped object?
> I'm trying to make a flat map (geographical) look slightly curved.

Filter,
  Glass,
    Apply Lens

might be enough for what you need.

Map to Sphere is probably overkill but also an option.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org
Abiword http://www.abisource.com