why autocrop layer would not cut all the blanks?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

why autocrop layer would not cut all the blanks?

rich404
Three questions,


(1) can I group the layers together and then request autocrop? right now, I seem
to have to merge layers to be one to request autocrop. But that prevents me from
the ability to do changes as needed.


(2) After I merge to just a single layer, it seems autocrop can crop the upper
and bottom whites well, but not the left and right white, do you see the same
thing or any wrong I did?


(3) It seems gimp does not provide convenient tools like arrow etc, so I
basically copy/paste the arrows from powerpoint here, the issue is, it seems the
color cannot be copied. Is there way to deal with that?


Still a quite newbie, thanks for your kind help!

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/515/original/fermisurface_a.xcf

--
bsmile (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: why autocrop layer would not cut all the blanks?

Ofnuts-2
On 15/03/17 19:53, bsmile wrote:

> Three questions,
>
>
> (1) can I group the layers together and then request autocrop? right now, I seem
> to have to merge layers to be one to request autocrop. But that prevents me from
> the ability to do changes as needed.
>
>
> (2) After I merge to just a single layer, it seems autocrop can crop the upper
> and bottom whites well, but not the left and right white, do you see the same
> thing or any wrong I did?
>
>
> (3) It seems gimp does not provide convenient tools like arrow etc, so I
> basically copy/paste the arrows from powerpoint here, the issue is, it seems the
> color cannot be copied. Is there way to deal with that?
>
>
> Still a quite newbie, thanks for your kind help!
>
> Attachments:
> * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/515/original/fermisurface_a.xcf
>
1) Image>Autocrop image, once you have fixed 2) on the two layers.

2) You white background is not uniform it contains pixels with 253
instead of 255,

http://imgur.com/zHn0KH9

... and autocrop only works with completely uniform backgrounds. You can
fix this with "Levels", dragging the right hand of "Input" towards value
250 (or anything left of the line at value 253 in the histogram).

_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

why autocrop layer would not cut all the blanks?

rich404
>1) Image>Autocrop image, once you have fixed 2) on the two layers.
>
>2) You white background is not uniform it contains pixels with 253
>instead of 255,
>
>http://imgur.com/zHn0KH9
>
>... and autocrop only works with completely uniform backgrounds. You
>can
>fix this with "Levels", dragging the right hand of "Input" towards
>value
>250 (or anything left of the line at value 253 in the histogram).


Thanks for the explanation, but please be more specific where to locate the
option of value to be revised?

I right clicked my mouse to bring up colors->levels->input levels, output level,
I changed the value to 250, and then ok, then layer->autocrop layer, but no
difference, I right click my mouse again to input levels, it is still 255, like
never been modified before.

--
bsmile (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: why autocrop layer would not cut all the blanks?

Ofnuts-2
On 16/03/17 00:22, bsmile wrote:

>> 1) Image>Autocrop image, once you have fixed 2) on the two layers.
>>
>> 2) You white background is not uniform it contains pixels with 253
>> instead of 255,
>>
>> http://imgur.com/zHn0KH9
>>
>> ... and autocrop only works with completely uniform backgrounds. You
>> can
>> fix this with "Levels", dragging the right hand of "Input" towards
>> value
>> 250 (or anything left of the line at value 253 in the histogram).
>
> Thanks for the explanation, but please be more specific where to locate the
> option of value to be revised?
>
> I right clicked my mouse to bring up colors->levels->input levels, output level,
> I changed the value to 250, and then ok, then layer->autocrop layer, but no
> difference, I right click my mouse again to input levels, it is still 255, like
> never been modified before.
>
If you use Windows>Dockable dialogs>Histogram the right of the histogram
has two vertical lines, which indicate that that you have pixels with
value 253 as well as pixels with value 255. You should also see these
two lines in the histogram shown in the Levels tool. In Levels, if you
drag the right handle of the input (top bar) to the left of the two
lines (around 250), then everything bigger that the indicated value
becomes pure white, so this should change your pixels with value 253 to
pure white.

_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

why autocrop layer would not cut all the blanks?

rich404
>If you use Windows>Dockable dialogs>Histogram the right of the
>histogram
>has two vertical lines, which indicate that that you have pixels with
>value 253 as well as pixels with value 255. You should also see these
>two lines in the histogram shown in the Levels tool. In Levels, if you
>drag the right handle of the input (top bar) to the left of the two
>lines (around 250), then everything bigger that the indicated value
>becomes pure white, so this should change your pixels with value 253
>to
>pure white.

Thanks for your explanation. It seems I hadn't reduce the upper level low
enough. This time I reduce it to 230 and it works as expected.

--
bsmile (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

why autocrop layer would not cut all the blanks?

rich404
In reply to this post by rich404
To answer your third question, there are a number of scripts that will draw
arrows, one of which is described at:

http://registry.gimp.org/node/28566

The script itself can be downloaded from:

http://www.programmer97.talktalk.net/Files/arrow.zip

The arrows are drawn in the currently selected foreground colour.

>Three questions,
>
>
>(1) can I group the layers together and then request autocrop? right
>now, I seem to have to merge layers to be one to request autocrop. But
>that prevents me from the ability to do changes as needed.
>
>
>(2) After I merge to just a single layer, it seems autocrop can crop
>the upper and bottom whites well, but not the left and right white, do
>you see the same thing or any wrong I did?
>
>
>(3) It seems gimp does not provide convenient tools like arrow etc, so
>I basically copy/paste the arrows from powerpoint here, the issue is,
>it seems the color cannot be copied. Is there way to deal with that?
>
>
>Still a quite newbie, thanks for your kind help!

--
programmer_ceds (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list