where can I see this string in action (translation related)

where can I see this string in action (translation related)

Cristian Secară-2
Where or how can I see this string in action:

#: ../libgimp/gimpexport.c:444
#, c-format
msgid "%s plug-in needs to crop the layers to the image bounds"

?

--
Cristian Secară
https://www.secarica.ro

Re: where can I see this string in action (translation related)

Developers mailing list
TIFF exporting, I think

чт, 15 окт. 2020 г., 13:37 Cristian Secară <[hidden email]>:

> Where or how can I see this string in action:
>
> #: ../libgimp/gimpexport.c:444
> #, c-format
> msgid "%s plug-in needs to crop the layers to the image bounds"
>
> ?
>
> --
> Cristian Secară
> https://www.secarica.ro

Re: where can I see this string in action (translation related)

Cristian Secară-2
În data de Thu, 15 Oct 2020 13:48:31 +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine a scris:

> TIFF exporting, I think
>
> > Where or how can I see this string in action:
> >
> > #: ../libgimp/gimpexport.c:444
> > msgid "%s plug-in needs to crop the layers to the image bounds"

Not quite: the TIFF export dialog has another sting

#: ../plug-ins/ui/plug-in-file-tiff.ui.h:2
msgid "Cr_op layers to image bounds"

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 2:13 PM Cristian Secară <[hidden email]> wrote:

> În data de Thu, 15 Oct 2020 13:48:31 +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine a scris:
>
> > TIFF exporting, I think
> >
> > > Where or how can I see this string in action:
> > >
> > > #: ../libgimp/gimpexport.c:444
> > > msgid "%s plug-in needs to crop the layers to the image bounds"
> > >

> Not quite: the TIFF export dialog has another sting
>
> #: ../plug-ins/ui/plug-in-file-tiff.ui.h:2
> msgid "Cr_op layers to image bounds"

I'm not sure if it really matters. The translation is straightforward,
and the %s variable is just the name of the file plugin like TIFF or
PNG or whatever.

Re: where can I see this string in action (translation related)

Hi!

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 12:37 PM Cristian Secară <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Where or how can I see this string in action:
>
> #: ../libgimp/gimpexport.c:444
> #, c-format
> msgid "%s plug-in needs to crop the layers to the image bounds"
>
> ?

If not mistaken, these are labels shown on an intermediate export dialog
(back from a day where export had a 3-dialog workflow: choose path, then
this dialog, then the format options dialog; now it has a 2-dialog
workflow). This intermediate dialog is not shown anymore (now the export
code automatically does what it says here, which is not a problem as it
doesn't actually modify the image but a copy of it), but the code is still
there in our codebase lurking (this change is before my time, so before
2012, I don't know when exactly).

Someday we might want to do something about it (anyway I have big plans for
the export process, though I'm not sure when I'll get there). In the
meantime, I'd suggest to just translate to what it seems to mean, it won't
matter much anyway as none will see it. So don't bother too much.

Jehan

P.S.: there is actually an environment variable you can set to force the
intermediate dialog to appear. I can look it up if ever you really want to
see the strings on GUI.

> --
> Cristian Secară
> https://www.secarica.ro