use existing flag?

cfigura
I'm using gimp on a debian/KDE installation.  Is there a 'use-existing'
type flag for gimp startup?  If I click on a few image icons in a konqueror
window, a separate instance of the Gimp is fired up for each image.
I'd much prefer that the image be opened in the existing instance of the
Gimp (if one exists).

I haven't found anything pertaining in the Gimp docs.  Does anybody know
of anything out there?

Thanks for your help.

--
Charles Figura                 [hidden email]
Dept. of Math, CS, & Physics   http://mcsp.wartburg.edu/figura

Re: use existing flag?

Michael Schumacher
Charles Figura wrote:

> I'm using gimp on a debian/KDE installation.  Is there a 'use-existing'
> type flag for gimp startup?  If I click on a few image icons in a konqueror
> window, a separate instance of the Gimp is fired up for each image.
> I'd much prefer that the image be opened in the existing instance of the
> Gimp (if one exists).
>
> I haven't found anything pertaining in the Gimp docs.  Does anybody know
> of anything out there?

There is gimp-remote. It seems like the handler configured in Konqueror
points to gimp instead of gimp-remote. You should check if this has to
be reported as a bug to the Debian KDE package maintainer.

HTH,

The GIMP > http://www.gimp.org      | IRC: irc://irc.gimp.org/gimp
    Wiki > http://wiki.gimp.org     | .de: http://gimpforum.de
Plug-ins > http://registry.gimp.org |

Re: use existing flag?

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
On Tuesday 31 May 2005 14:38, Charles Figura wrote:

> I'm using gimp on a debian/KDE installation.  Is there a
> 'use-existing' type flag for gimp startup?  If I click on a few
> image icons in a konqueror window, a separate instance of the Gimp
> is fired up for each image. I'd much prefer that the image be
> opened in the existing instance of the Gimp (if one exists).
>
> I haven't found anything pertaining in the Gimp docs.  Does anybody
> know of anything out there?
>
> Thanks for your help.

You just have to run the gimp-remote executable binary, instead of the
GIMP. It is created and installed with the instalation of gimp.

Re: use existing flag?

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
On Tuesday 31 May 2005 14:56, Michael Schumacher wrote:

> Charles Figura wrote:
> > I'm using gimp on a debian/KDE installation.  Is there a
> > 'use-existing' type flag for gimp startup?  If I click on a few
> > image icons in a konqueror window, a separate instance of the
> > Gimp is fired up for each image. I'd much prefer that the image
> > be opened in the existing instance of the Gimp (if one exists).
> >
> > I haven't found anything pertaining in the Gimp docs.  Does
> > anybody know of anything out there?
>
> There is gimp-remote. It seems like the handler configured in
> Konqueror points to gimp instead of gimp-remote. You should check
> if this has to be reported as a bug to the Debian KDE package
> maintainer.

You'd better report it to the KDE project itself. It is this way in
other distros as well.

> HTH,
> Michael

Re: use existing flag?

Sven Neumann

Michael Schumacher <[hidden email]> writes:

> Charles Figura wrote:
>
>> I'm using gimp on a debian/KDE installation.  Is there a 'use-existing'
>> type flag for gimp startup?  If I click on a few image icons in a konqueror
>> window, a separate instance of the Gimp is fired up for each image.
>> I'd much prefer that the image be opened in the existing instance of the
>> Gimp (if one exists).
>>
>> I haven't found anything pertaining in the Gimp docs.  Does anybody know
>> of anything out there?
>
> There is gimp-remote. It seems like the handler configured in Konqueror
> points to gimp instead of gimp-remote. You should check if this has to
> be reported as a bug to the Debian KDE package maintainer.

That would rather be a bug in KDE since the gimp.desktop file
installed by GIMP clearly tells the file manager (and other users of
the .desktop file) that gimp-remote should be used. The .desktop file
specification is supposed to be implemented by KDE. But perhaps
Charles is simply running old versions of GIMP and/or KDE?

Sven