un-install before re-install?

Users mailing list
When I launched GIMP today I got a cool popup that 2.10.18 is available.
It says "Even though you use the last version, it is recommended to
reinstall.  New revisious come with package fixes".
https://i.imgur.com/7HuGQzj.jpg

Does this mean to un-install then install the new version?  Should I
always uninstall
first or just this time?  (Thoroughly like with Revo?)

I haven't done that since I last had an issue (incidentally because I'm
using the 32-bit version).  IIRC I made some customizations at some point.

Bill

Re: un-install before re-install?

Jernej Simončič-3
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 00:55:08, Bill Kristy via gimp-user-list wrote:

> Does this mean to un-install then install the new version?  Should I
> always uninstall
> first or just this time?  (Thoroughly like with Revo?)

If you're on Windows, there's never a need to uninstall previous GIMP
version when upgrading - the installer is specifically made to
properly upgrade any older version.

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< https://eternallybored.org/ >

A university is a place where men of principle outnumber men of honor.
       -- May's Mordant Maxim

Re: un-install before re-install?

On Mon, 2020-03-30 at 15:55 -0700, Bill Kristy via gimp-user-list
wrote:
> Does this mean to un-install then install the new version?

If you are having problems running the current gimp i'd suggest an
uninstall (but try renaming your profie folder first and see if that
cures the problems).

Otherwise it should not be neeeded.

ankh

Full-time slave in voluntary servitude

Re: un-install before re-install?

Users mailing list
Thank you very much Liam!  That's what I've thought, but the wording of the
message I quoted made me wonder if something (like a package update) would
make uninstalling necessary.

On Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 18:29:00, Liam R E Quin wrote:

> If you are having problems running the current gimp i'd suggest an
> uninstall (but try renaming your profie folder first and see if that
> cures the problems).

On Windows uninstall and reinstall should have the same result as just
doing an upgrade (the installer doesn't touch user-specific settings).

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< https://eternallybored.org/ >

If God had intended us to go around naked, He would have made us that way.
       -- Olum's Observation (and see Martha's Maxim and Farrow's Finding)

un-install before re-install?

Luthien
>On Windows uninstall and reinstall should have the same result as just
>doing an upgrade (the installer doesn't touch user-specific settings).

Very cool, Jernej, thank you very much for eveything!

--
coyote (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)