text mode, need instruct sequence

12

text mode, need instruct sequence

Gene Heskett-2
Greetings all;

I, like Ruben Safir, am A. tired of the lack of good docs, and B. the
churn in how it works. I just had occasion to caption some pix as an aid
to my wife who is not a computer whiz, in setting up a piano keyboard,
and the air was quite blue around me by the time I got done because
every time I tried to set one option in the text panel it reset
everything else back to the defaults.  And an 18 px black character
isn't more than a visible dot on an 8x10 printout, so I click on the
size and add a zero to make 180 px. Then I am going to put it in a black
area of the printout, so I select the color white and hit enter and it
resets the size to 18px and the font back to sans from sans serif. Thats
bs at its finest.  So is the text box when its under the top ruler and
you can't see that its decided to reset everything back to the defaults.
So please tell me the correct sequence of key or mouse strokes to set
that up and if possible set it as the defaults so I don't have to get so
frustrated just to add a line or 3 of text captions to a picture.
You've made 4 hours of very frustrating work out of captioning 6 photo's
that ought to be 3 minutes plus print time each. If this worked. But
IMNSHO it sucks dead toads thru soda straws. So please make it
_Just_Work_, write some docs that tell us how to use it, and then stop
the churn.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: text mode, need instruct sequence

Rick Strong-2
Gene,

By my reckoning, an 18 px letter is less than 1 pt high on an 300 dpi
print—virtually invisible. Try setting the text size to 18 pts. (POINTS, not
pixels) to be legible.

Good luck.
RS

On Friday 02 October 2020 18:36:07 you wrote:

> Gene,
>
> By my reckoning, an 18 px letter is less than 1 pt high on an 300 dpi
> print—virtually invisible. Try setting the text size to 18 pts.
> (POINTS, not pixels) to be legible.

I have done that, Rick, but 18 pts isn't near big enough for older eyes
either, so you backspace to get rid of the dust specs, look up to the
text box and its reset to 18px. Frustrating is a very weak description.
You spend 10 minutes bounceing from one place in that tool, to another
trying to get it to keep what you selected long enough to type one line
of text. Repeat for every line of text you want to overlay on a pix.

> Good luck.

I don't need luck, I need instructions that work, please read my whole
message.

> RS

My whole point is that there is no way to set the defaults AND setting
anything else restores the default of 18 px, switches it back to sans
font, and the selected color back to black.  Changing ANY of those
settings should change them at the very least for the lifetime of the
current session. ANY TIME YOU CHANGE ONE THING, IT RESETS EVERYTHING
ELSE BACK TO THE DEFAULTS. INCLUDING CHANGING WHERE YOU WANT TO PUT IT
BY LEFT CLICKING THE SCREEN WHERE YOU WANT TO START TYPING. And if your
put it here click is too high, the box disappears under the friggin
ruler at the top of the screen so that you can't see if its decided to
restore all the defaults

Since you have not addressed my main bitch at all, how about telling us
how to change the text defaults to something that IS usable and by
makeing those the defaults, 90% of the frustrations would be addressed.
Maybe _you_ have a sequence that works, but no one has told the users.
Put it in a format I can print and tape to the wall for next time.

Ruben Safir
On 10/2/20 5:05 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I just had occasion to caption some pix as an aid
> to my wife who is not a computer whiz, in setting up a piano keyboard,
> and the air was quite blue around me by the time I got done because
> every time I tried to set one option in the text panel it reset
> everything else back to the defaults.  And an 18 px black character
> isn't more than a visible dot on an 8

Yeah - that has made me crazy as well.  The text tool's behavior is
completely unpredictable.  Everytime you touch it it does the unexpected
and it goes back to some default that it pulled from god knows where.

Mine has been stuck on 65 px like it is stuttering.

There used to be a decent scripfu text widget in the filters that is gone.

And one needs a drop down menu for font.  Who knows what fonts are
installed.  In 1998 I did this with the GIMP

http://images.mrbrklyn.com/brooklyn/tourmap.png
http://images.mrbrklyn.com/.cache/640x435-bars2.jpg

Just try doing that now.

or something like this

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.nylxs.com - Leadership Development in Free Software
http://www.brooklyn-living.com

On Fri, 2020-10-02 at 19:38 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> My whole point is that there is no way to set the defaults AND
> setting
> anything else restores the default of 18 px, switches it back to sans
> font, and the selected color back to black.  Changing ANY of those
> settings should change them at the very least for the lifetime of the
> current session.

It does, but you must change them in tool optoins, not in the on-canvas
controls. You can also have gimp save tool options on exit, or you can
save them at any time, from Edit/Preferences (click on Tool Options in
the list on the left).

slave liam

Full-time "slave" in voluntary servitude since 1997

On Fri, Oct 02, 2020 at 08:41:39PM -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-10-02 at 19:38 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >
> > My whole point is that there is no way to set the defaults AND
> > setting
> > anything else restores the default of 18 px, switches it back to sans
> > font, and the selected color back to black.  Changing ANY of those
> > settings should change them at the very least for the lifetime of the
> > current session.
>
> It does,

:(

No - it doesn't

It is one of things that used to work but is now broken

http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/resources - Unpublished Archive
http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com

Re: text mode, need instruct sequence

Rick Strong-2
My eyes are nearly 80 years old, I am going blind in one of them and I can easily read 18 pt type.
Anyway, you need something larger. OK. Try double clicking on the "A" tool and setting the type specs in the dialogue/tab that comes up on the right. Screenshot attached. I assume you are using the latest version.

Rick

On Friday 02 October 2020 21:02:35 Rick Strong wrote:

> My eyes are nearly 80 years old, I am going blind in one of them and I
> can easily read 18 pt type. Anyway, you need something larger. OK. Try
> double clicking on the "A" tool and setting the type specs in the
> dialogue/tab that comes up on the right. Screenshot attached. I assume
> you are using the latest version.

No, stretch is 2.8, so totally different view, that double-click worked.
But the save didn't, on rerunning orvile it was back to 18px. But it
seems to have saved for the session, which is a huge help.  Thank you.

> Rick

Try this:

To save a setting--in any tool in GIMP--it's like PageMaker used to work.
• You open GIMP, but NO FILE.
• Make/change your settings for whatever tool, including text.
• Close GIMP, again with no file open.

When you reopen GIMP, it will have retained your last tool settings (with no
file open) as your opening preferences.

Rick

Re: text mode, need instruct sequence

Liam R E Quin
On Sat, 2020-10-03 at 12:31 -0400, Rick Strong wrote:
> Gene,
>
> Try this:
>
> To save a setting--in any tool in GIMP--it's like PageMaker used to
> work.
> • You open GIMP, but NO FILE.
> • Make/change your settings for whatever tool, including text.
> • Close GIMP, again with no file open.

This depends on the preference setting that i mentioned earlier, "save
tool settings on exit".

Full-time "slave" in voluntary servitude

Re: text mode, need instruct sequence

Hm, how many text layers do you have?

If I create a text layer I can create it with the particular font and font
size. When I create another text layer, I can set the font, etc in the new
layer to something different. If I then decide that the font is wrong in
the first text layer, and I select that text layer, it comes up with the
font and font size that I selected in the first place ie, what it was when
I left that layer. If I go back to the other text layer it shows the font
and font size that it was when I left THAT layer.

So
1) I create a text box/layer (call it One), set the font to something, and
the font size to 16 pts. I type something eg One. [I create a text box by
clicking on the text tool, and clicking on the canvas.]
2) I create a second text box/layer. (call it Two). I set the font to 64
pts. I type something eg Two. [I create a new text box by clicking
somewhere outside the first text box.]
3) I decide that the font size in One is too small. I switch to that text
layer [By clicking in the text box.]. *The font size now shows 16 pts*. I
change the font size. I don't delete the text. I just change the font size
(to say 32 pts).
4) I switch to layer Two. *The font size now shows 64 pts*.
5) If I switch between text layers the font size alternates between 16 and
64 pts.

Each 'line of text' is in a separate text layer. Each text layer retains
the font, font size and other attributes that it had when you last left it.
Any new layer contains the attributes of the previous text layer that you
created.

Cheers,

Cliff

My Amazon author page : https://amazon.com/author/cliffpratt
My Facebook author page : https://www.facebook.com/cliffprattauthor
My Search on Kobo : https://www.kobo.com/search?query=Cliff+Pratt

Re: text mode, need instruct sequence

Gene Heskett-2
On Saturday 03 October 2020 21:23:35 Cliff Pratt via gimp-user-list
wrote:

> Hm, how many text layers do you have?
>
> If I create a text layer I can create it with the particular font and
> font size. When I create another text layer, I can set the font, etc
> in the new layer to something different. If I then decide that the
> font is wrong in the first text layer, and I select that text layer,
> it comes up with the font and font size that I selected in the first
> place ie, what it was when I left that layer. If I go back to the
> other text layer it shows the font and font size that it was when I
> left THAT layer.
>
> So
> 1) I create a text box/layer (call it One), set the font to something,
> and the font size to 16 pts. I type something eg One. [I create a text
> box by clicking on the text tool, and clicking on the canvas.]
> 2) I create a second text box/layer. (call it Two). I set the font to
> 64 pts. I type something eg Two. [I create a new text box by clicking
> somewhere outside the first text box.]
> 3) I decide that the font size in One is too small. I switch to that
> text layer [By clicking in the text box.]. *The font size now shows 16
> pts*. I change the font size. I don't delete the text. I just change
> the font size (to say 32 pts).
> 4) I switch to layer Two. *The font size now shows 64 pts*.
> 5) If I switch between text layers the font size alternates between 16
> and 64 pts.
>
> Each 'line of text' is in a separate text layer. Each text layer
> retains the font, font size and other attributes that it had when you
> last left it. Any new layer contains the attributes of the previous
> text layer that you created.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>
> On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 11:02 PM Rick Strong <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > My eyes are nearly 80 years old, I am going blind in one of them and
> > I can easily read 18 pt type.
> > Anyway, you need something larger. OK. Try double clicking on the
> > "A" tool and setting the type specs in the dialogue/tab that comes
> > up on the right. Screenshot attached. I assume you are using the
> > latest version.
> >
> > Rick

And so far, for all the pontificating here, none of which seems to apply
to the 2.8 I am trying to use. That alone is more than ample evidence of
the control churn as far as I am concerned.  I have changed the font,
color and size, then clicked save at the bottom of my tool edit window
until I've about wore out the mouse and the save button.  But the next
time I launch GIMP, its still black, sans, and 18 px.  If you can make
2.8 text Just Work so setting one thing does NOT restore the totally
useless defaults for everything else, AND the save and restore buttons
actually do that, I need the exact sequence of operations that ACTUALLY
DO make it work in the 2.8 being published by debian.

OR push debian to update it to your version of 2.10 unpatched by debian,
don't even allow branding patches.

OR setup a repo we can download a WORKING copy of 2.10 or whatever the
current version of the day is, from your own servers in .deb format.

Take your pick, but please, get your users a WORKING copy of GIMP.

20 years ago I could ask how to do something and get instructions on how
to do it that worked.  Now its 2020 and all I am getting is claims that
it Just Works, without even qualifying the answer with a versiion number
or a step by step that does work.

> > > RS
> >
> > My whole point is that there is no way to set the defaults AND
> > setting anything else restores the default of 18 px, switches it
> > back to sans font, and the selected color back to black.  Changing
> > ANY of those settings should change them at the very least for the
> > lifetime of the current session. ANY TIME YOU CHANGE ONE THING, IT
> > RESETS EVERYTHING ELSE BACK TO THE DEFAULTS. INCLUDING CHANGING
> > WHERE YOU WANT TO PUT IT BY LEFT CLICKING THE SCREEN WHERE YOU WANT
> > TO START TYPING. And if your put it here click is too high, the box
> > disappears under the friggin ruler at the top of the screen so that
> > you can't see if its decided to restore all the defaults
> >
> > Since you have not addressed my main bitch at all, how about telling
> > us how to change the text defaults to something that IS usable and
> > by makeing those the defaults, 90% of the frustrations would be
> > addressed. Maybe _you_ have a sequence that works, but no one has
> > told the users. Put it in a format I can print and tape to the wall
> > for next time.

Here's an ex cathedra thought: why don't you upgrade to version 2.10?

Cheers,
RS

Re: text mode, need instruct sequence

I'm using 2.10.20 and it works as I describe above. I have been using the
Gimp since 2.8 and before, and it has always worked that way.

What version are you using, and did you try what I described or did you
just read it?

On Sunday 04 October 2020 00:10:53 Rick Strong wrote:

> Here's an ex cathedra thought: why don't you upgrade to version 2.10?

I grabbed the bz2 srcs about an hour ago but theres too many missing
dependencies.  Is there a downloadble deb that will install of stretch?

> Cheers,
> RS

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: text mode, need instruct sequence

Users mailing list
There's a flatpak on gimp.org. If you want a Debian version, there is one
of those too, available through the debian repositories. Both
2.10.something. Where did you get your 2.8 version from?

Cliff

On Sunday 04 October 2020 00:18:45 Cliff Pratt via gimp-user-list wrote:

> I'm using 2.10.20 and it works as I describe above. I have been using
> the Gimp since 2.8 and before, and it has always worked that way.
>
> What version are you using, and did you try what I described or did
> you just read it?

I tried it, but I also have to figure out the equivalents since 2.8 is
different. I could try posting a small screenshot if the server will
take it. But not tonight. Its been too long a day already.

Where you say the editor shows up on the right, mine shows up at the left
border.  It has 4 icons in the bottom border, one says save, the next
says restore, a trashcan and something on the right I haven't yet
identifiedI have not identified. But so far, no one has told me where
the save button writes to so I could at least check to see if the button
even works since theres zero reaction from clicking on it. Same with the
restore button, no reaction and nothing is restored. It might as well be
welded to sans, black and 18px, and the 18px makes it worthless.

> How many text layers do you have?

Most pix just one string of text.  Sometimes 2.

wrote:

> > On Sunday 04 October 2020 00:10:53 Rick Strong wrote:
> > > Here's an ex cathedra thought: why don't you upgrade to version
> > > 2.10?
> >
> > I grabbed the bz2 srcs about an hour ago but theres too many missing
> > dependencies.  Is there a downloadble deb that will install of
> > stretch?
> >
> > > Cheers,
> > > RS
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> >  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law
> > respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: text mode, need instruct sequence

Gene Heskett-2
On Sunday 04 October 2020 00:55:20 Cliff Pratt via gimp-user-list wrote:

> There's a flatpak on gimp.org. If you want a Debian version, there is
> one of those too, available through the debian repositories. Both
> 2.10.something. Where did you get your 2.8 version from?
>
> Cliff

I'd love to just to be on the same page as you are. But this is stretch,
debian 9, 2.10 is not available from the debian repos for stretch. And I
just checked, no flatpack installer for stretch.  So thats out.

How does a flatpack compare to an appimage? I am using several of those
here and they seem to work well with truely stable performance. An
AppImage is truely selfcontained, having all the dependencies it needs
right in the image.  The image is huge, the launch is slow but commodity
drives today are $90 2T's.  Plenty of room and I have 32GB of memory to
play in here. Seems like a good way to assure that it Just Works for
everyone.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: text mode, need instruct sequence

Ok, I now have 2.8.22 running in Ubuntu in a VM. That's as close as I can
get to your setup - Debian 9 and Gimp 2.8.?.

This is vanilla, out of the box, no configuration.

I created a new blank image, and selected the text tool. In the Tool
Options the font is "Sans", the size is 18 px and the colour is black.

In the tool options I change the font to "Serif", size to 36 px and the
colour to green. All this in theText Tool Options. *Note that this changes
the default foreground colour to green*.

I click on the canvas and drag to get a text box. Type "Abcd". The font is
"Serif" and the colour is green, and the size shows as 36 px.

I decide that I want the test to be blue and 42 px and the font to be sans.
I make sure the text box is selected.

I click the font button and select "Sans" in the drop down list in the Tool
Options. The text immediately changes to Sans. It stays green and 36 px.

I change the colour to blue and the size to 42 px in the Tool Options.
Those attributes change immediately. Changing one has no effect on the
other and changes are immediate.

*Note that this does not change the default foreground colour which remains
green*.

If I click and drag another text box elsewhere, it takes the size and the
font from the first box, but it shows the colour from the default
foreground when I type some text. But if I type some text and* then *change
the colour in the tool options it doesn't change the default foreground
colour.

I haven't seen it 'reset' any other options. If I had to guess, I'd guess
that you have another, invisible text box, you've clicked in that and it
uses the font and size option from that box. That's why I asked how many
layers you have.

Cheers,

Cliff