still lacking plugin support??

McAfee
I have the latest versions of libjpeg, libpng, libtiff and libXpm
installed with LD_LIBRARY_PATH set accordingly.  I also downloaded and
installed gimpprint, and gimp-help.

After three compile attempts...

1) I still cannot save in any other format other than .xcf
2) There is still no 'file/print' menu option
3) The help-browser module still doesn't get built

Thanks for any help?

Graeme

P.S.: System:  Solaris-sparc9

Re: still lacking plugin support??

Owen-24
On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:59:49 -0400
McAfee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have the latest versions of libjpeg, libpng, libtiff and libXpm
> installed with LD_LIBRARY_PATH set accordingly.  I also downloaded and
> installed gimpprint, and gimp-help.
>
> After three compile attempts...
>
> 1) I still cannot save in any other format other than .xcf

Errr, well I presume you are using Gimp-2.2 something.

File->Save As->Select filetype by extension.

If that's not there, you have something wrong?

> 2) There is still no 'file/print' menu option

Well you have to have an image loaded before it will show "Print"

> 3) The help-browser module still doesn't get built

Read the results og your configure, it will probably tell you why it's not being built, so then go install what is missing

Owen

Re: still lacking plugin support??

Olivier Ripoll
McAfee wrote:
> I have the latest versions of libjpeg, libpng, libtiff and libXpm
> installed with LD_LIBRARY_PATH set accordingly.  I also downloaded and
> installed gimpprint, and gimp-help.
>
> After three compile attempts...
>
> 1) I still cannot save in any other format other than .xcf
Could you give us more detail, for instance:
        - are there some error messages when you try to save in other formats
or just nothing happens ?
        - launching gimp from a terminal, do you see messages printed when you
try to save to a .png or a .jpeg ?

> 2) There is still no 'file/print' menu option
there should be some useful information when you configure and/or make
the gimp about missing libraries and skipped functionalities.

> 3) The help-browser module still doesn't get built
you need to install gtkhtml for this (it required on my distro to
install some additional gnome packages IIRC)

> Thanks for any help?

The new (gimp2) "save" windows is different from the old (gimp1.x) one.
by default, the gimp is set to save according to the file name you give,
based on the extension. Maybe all you need to do is to type this extension.

Best regards,

Olivier.
> Graeme
>
> P.S.: System:  Solaris-sparc9

Re: Re: still lacking plugin support??

McAfee
Olivier Ripoll wrote:

>> I have the latest versions of libjpeg, libpng, libtiff and libXpm
>> installed with LD_LIBRARY_PATH set accordingly.  I also downloaded
>> and installed gimpprint, and gimp-help.
>>
>> After three compile attempts...
>>
>> 1) I still cannot save in any other format other than .xcf
>
> Could you give us more detail, for instance:
>  - are there error messages when you try to save in other formats or
> just nothing happens ?
>  - launching gimp from a terminal, do you see messages printed when
> you try to save to a .png or a .jpeg ?

Yes, the Gimp error console displays the message 'Unknown file type'
when I try to open or save any file type with an extension other than .xcf

>> 2) There is still no 'file/print' menu option
>
> there should be some useful information when you configure and/or make
> the gimp about missing libraries and skipped functionalities.

'configure' reported that it found libgtkhtml

>> 3) The help-browser module still doesn't get built
>
> you need to install gtkhtml for this (it is required on my distro to
> install some additional gnome packages IIRC)

libgtkhtml was created and installed prior to creating Gimp

> The new (gimp2) "save" windows is different from the old (gimp1.x)
> one. by default, the gimp is set to save according to the file name
> you give, based on the extension. Maybe all you need to do is to type
> this extension.

See #1

Owen wrote:

>>I have the latest versions of libjpeg, libpng, libtiff and libXpm
>>installed with LD_LIBRARY_PATH set accordingly.  I also downloaded and
>>installed gimpprint, and gimp-help.
>>
>>After three compile attempts...
>>
>>1) I still cannot save in any other format other than .xcf
>>

>Errr, well I presume you are using Gimp-2.2 something.

Yes, Gimp 2.2.6.

>File->Save As->Select filetype by extension.
>
>If that's not there, you have something wrong?

It is there.

>>2) There is still no 'file/print' menu option
>>

>Well you have to have an image loaded before it will show "Print"

Even with a .xcf image saved then opened, there is no "print" menu option

>>3) The help-browser module still doesn't get built
>>

>Read the results of your configure, it will probably tell you why it's not being built, so then go install what is missing

config.log contains no gimpprint errors:

configure:31674: checking for gimpprint-config
configure:31692: found /usr/local/bin/gimpprint-config
configure:31705: result: /usr/local/bin/gimpprint-config
configure:31713: checking for GIMP-PRINT - version >= 4.2.0
configure:31824: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/local/include
-L... -L... -lgimpprint -lm  >&5
config.status:1134: creating plug-ins/print/Makefile
ac_cv_path_GIMPPRINT_CONFIG=/usr/local/bin/gimpprint-config
GIMPPRINT_CFLAGS='-I/usr/local/include'
GIMPPRINT_CONFIG='/usr/local/bin/gimpprint-config'
GIMPPRINT_LIBS='-L/usr/local/lib -lgimpprint -lm'
GIMPPRINT_REQUIRED_VERSION='4.2.0'
GIMPPRINT_TOONEW_VERSION='4.3.0'

>Owen

Graeme

Re: still lacking plugin support??

Michael Schumacher
McAfee wrote:
> I have the latest versions of libjpeg, libpng, libtiff and libXpm
> installed with LD_LIBRARY_PATH set accordingly.  I also downloaded and
> installed gimpprint, and gimp-help.
>
> After three compile attempts...
>
> 1) I still cannot save in any other format other than .xcf
> 2) There is still no 'file/print' menu option
> 3) The help-browser module still doesn't get built

Did you mix different versions of GIMP?

The GIMP > http://www.gimp.org      | IRC: irc://irc.gimp.org/gimp
    Wiki > http://wiki.gimp.org     | .de: http://gimpforum.de
Plug-ins > http://registry.gimp.org |

Michael Schumacher wrote:

>McAfee wrote:
>

>>I have the latest versions of libjpeg, libpng, libtiff and libXpm
>>installed with LD_LIBRARY_PATH set accordingly.  I also downloaded and
>>installed gimpprint, and gimp-help.
>>
>>After three compile attempts...
>>
>>1) I still cannot save in any other format other than .xcf
>>2) There is still no 'file/print' menu option
>>3) The help-browser module still doesn't get built
>>

>Did you mix different versions of GIMP?

No. I had to do some housecleaning for these directories...
/lib
/usr/local/lib
/usr/sfw/lib
/opt/sfw/lib
what a mess!

I tried to delete all Gimp1.2 dependencies (without breaking anything
else).  I seem to have been successful in that, but I may have missed
something.  Gimp2.6 gets built and looks great with GTK but I just
cannot determine why I cannot get it to open/save png, tiff, jpeg files,
build the help-browser, nor print!!!

Does CUPS need to be installed for gimpprint to work (I don't think so
but thought I'd ask)?

I'm lost here?

Thanks for any help.

Graeme

Re: still lacking plugin support??

Carol Spears
On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 10:27:26PM -0400, McAfee wrote:

> Michael Schumacher wrote:
>
> >McAfee wrote:
> >

> >>I have the latest versions of libjpeg, libpng, libtiff and libXpm
> >>installed with LD_LIBRARY_PATH set accordingly.  I also downloaded and
> >>installed gimpprint, and gimp-help.
> >>
> >>After three compile attempts...
> >>
> >>1) I still cannot save in any other format other than .xcf
> >>2) There is still no 'file/print' menu option
> >>3) The help-browser module still doesn't get built
> >>

> >Did you mix different versions of GIMP?
> >

> No. I had to do some housecleaning for these directories...
> /lib
> /usr/local/lib
> /usr/sfw/lib
> /opt/sfw/lib
> what a mess!
>

> I tried to delete all Gimp1.2 dependencies (without breaking anything
> else).  I seem to have been successful in that, but I may have missed
> something.  Gimp2.6 gets built and looks great with GTK but I just
> cannot determine why I cannot get it to open/save png, tiff, jpeg files,
> build the help-browser, nor print!!!

whatever gimp-1.2 depends on should not affect gimp2 dependencies.  the
advice was to look for other instances of gimp-2.something on your
computer.  if the build process finds things in /usr/ it will not look
for things in /usr/local/ or where ever you might have things at.

i suggest that you watch the configure messages very carefully; it gives
you a lot of information.

gimp print is a separate package.

> Does CUPS need to be installed for gimpprint to work (I don't think so
> but thought I'd ask)?
>
> I'm lost here?

it is a separate package and it should also give helpful information
either via the INSTALL file or via the configuration spew.

take a deep breath, relax and read the spew ....

> Thanks for any help.

once the problems are taken care of and if you continue with gimp
logically you should never have these issues again.

carol

Re: still lacking plugin support??

Sven Neumann

please check if the plug-in search path actually points to the correct
folders. You can look at the plug-in search path and edit it from the
Preferences dialog.

Sven