smooth the image

Misslo777
trying to make the spiral smooth.

I tried manipulating the selections many different ways and even made some paths
but none helped make it smooth.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1068/original/log.xcf

--
lasercurrent (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

smooth the image

Misslo777
>trying to make the spiral smooth.
>
>I tried manipulating the selections many different ways and even made
>some paths but none helped make it smooth.

No easy way that I can think of.

Using the gmic_gimp plugin www.gmic.eu First a smooth(NL-Mean) then a
Constrained Sharpen gave a sort of result, a bit too much 'fuzzy', which made a
big 3 MB file. (even a xcf.gz was > 1 MB)

Using paths is the way to go.

Truthfully Gimp is not the best tool, use a vector application such as Inkscape.
However not easy to get that exact spiral even in Inkscape, so a center line
trace, then back into Gimp and stroked the path. That one not too large, so
attached. The path is in the paths dialogue.

Guessing you originally used gfig - ancient plugin, should be retired.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1069/original/log-ink.xcf

smooth the image

Misslo777
>No easy way that I can think of.
>
>Using the gmic_gimp plugin www.gmic.eu First a smooth(NL-Mean) then a
>Constrained Sharpen gave a sort of result, a bit too much 'fuzzy',
>which made a big 3 MB file. (even a xcf.gz was > 1 MB)
>
>Using paths is the way to go.
>
>Truthfully Gimp is not the best tool, use a vector application such as
>Inkscape. However not easy to get that exact spiral even in Inkscape,
>so a center line trace, then back into Gimp and stroked the path. That
>one not too large, so attached. The path is in the paths dialogue.
>
>Guessing you originally used gfig - ancient plugin, should be retired.

Well done this is precisely what I was trying to do.

I tried using paths in gimp but I guess I needed to try center path from
Inkscape which you did.

Greatly appriciated.

--
lasercurrent (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)