small suggestion for consistency

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

small suggestion for consistency

Developers mailing list
Hello devs,
I'm here to suggest a small change in the ui for consistency.
I haven't open a bug since I want you to tell me if it is worth before committing the BR.

The menu layer should named layers for consistency with the other menus like colors, tools, filters.

TIA

--


Marco Ciampa

I know a joke about UDP, but you might not get it.

------------------------

 GNU/Linux User #78271
 FSFE fellow #364

------------------------

_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: small suggestion for consistency

Simon Budig
Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list ([hidden email]) wrote:
> The menu layer should named layers for consistency with the other
> menus like colors, tools, filters.

Would you suggest to change "Image" to "Images" as well?

Both feels wrong to me, since the "Layer" menu mostly deals with actions
affecting just one layer (the current one).

"Filters" is a collection of multiple filters, "Tools" is a collection
of multiple tools, "Colors" deals with multiple colors in the image.

Bye,
        Simon

--
              [hidden email]              http://simon.budig.de/
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: small suggestion for consistency

Developers mailing list
On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 11:37:12AM +0200, Simon Budig wrote:
> Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > The menu layer should named layers for consistency with the other
> > menus like colors, tools, filters.
>
> Would you suggest to change "Image" to "Images" as well?

No. Image deal with _one_ image at a time. Level deal with one or more
levels at a time (see below).

> Both feels wrong to me, since the "Layer" menu mostly deals with actions
> affecting just one layer (the current one).

Level groups are made not of just one level.
Same as for a stack of levels.

> "Filters" is a collection of multiple filters,

right

> "Tools" is a collection of multiple tools,

right

> "Colors" deals with multiple colors in the image.

right

and levels deals with multiple levels in the image, in groups and in a stack.

... but this is just an observation and a suggestion ...

TIA

--


Marco Ciampa

I know a joke about UDP, but you might not get it.

------------------------

 GNU/Linux User #78271
 FSFE fellow #364

------------------------

_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: small suggestion for consistency

Developers mailing list
On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 03:17:20PM +0200, Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 11:37:12AM +0200, Simon Budig wrote:
> > Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > > The menu layer should named layers for consistency with the other
> > > menus like colors, tools, filters.
> >
> > Would you suggest to change "Image" to "Images" as well?
>
> No. Image deal with _one_ image at a time. Level deal with one or more
> levels at a time (see below).

sorry s/level/layer/g

--


Marco Ciampa

I know a joke about UDP, but you might not get it.

------------------------

 GNU/Linux User #78271
 FSFE fellow #364

------------------------

_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: small suggestion for consistency

Simon Budig
In reply to this post by Developers mailing list
Hi Marco.

Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list ([hidden email]) wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 11:37:12AM +0200, Simon Budig wrote:
> > Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > > The menu layer should named layers for consistency with the other
> > > menus like colors, tools, filters.
> >
> > Would you suggest to change "Image" to "Images" as well?
>
> No. Image deal with _one_ image at a time. Level deal with one or more
> levels at a time (see below).
>
> > Both feels wrong to me, since the "Layer" menu mostly deals with actions
> > affecting just one layer (the current one).
>
> Layer groups are made not of just one layer.
> Same as for a stack of layers.
[...]
> and layers deals with multiple layers in the image, in groups and in a stack.
>
> ... but this is just an observation and a suggestion ...

I might be missing something obvious, but when looking at the Layer-Menu
I can see one menu entry that affects all layers simultaneously:
Layer->Stack->Reverse Layer order.

All other entries are really quite specific to the currently selected
layer: either by moving it to some other position in the stack,
selecting a layer in a specific relation to the current layer, Change
the current layer size etc...

Granted, some of these implicitely affect the other layers in the stack,
but there always is the one designated layer that the operation is
defined by.

True, if the current layer is a layer group, these operations work on a
set of sub-layers, but that is more an effect of having currently
selected a layer group - the operations still work on the currently
selected item in the layer stack (and its child items).

It feels a little bit like bike shedding, but I still believe that
"Layer" is correct.

Bye,
        Simon
--
              [hidden email]              http://simon.budig.de/
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: small suggestion for consistency

Developers mailing list
I tend to agree with Simon that “Layer” seems appropriate for this usage.
On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 10:00 AM Simon Budig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Marco.
>
> Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list ([hidden email])
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 11:37:12AM +0200, Simon Budig wrote:
> > > Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list ([hidden email])
> wrote:
> > > > The menu layer should named layers for consistency with the other
> > > > menus like colors, tools, filters.
> > >
> > > Would you suggest to change "Image" to "Images" as well?
> >
> > No. Image deal with _one_ image at a time. Level deal with one or more
> > levels at a time (see below).
> >
> > > Both feels wrong to me, since the "Layer" menu mostly deals with
> actions
> > > affecting just one layer (the current one).
> >
> > Layer groups are made not of just one layer.
> > Same as for a stack of layers.
> [...]
> > and layers deals with multiple layers in the image, in groups and in a
> stack.
> >
> > ... but this is just an observation and a suggestion ...
>
> I might be missing something obvious, but when looking at the Layer-Menu
> I can see one menu entry that affects all layers simultaneously:
> Layer->Stack->Reverse Layer order.
>
> All other entries are really quite specific to the currently selected
> layer: either by moving it to some other position in the stack,
> selecting a layer in a specific relation to the current layer, Change
> the current layer size etc...
>
> Granted, some of these implicitely affect the other layers in the stack,
> but there always is the one designated layer that the operation is
> defined by.
>
> True, if the current layer is a layer group, these operations work on a
> set of sub-layers, but that is more an effect of having currently
> selected a layer group - the operations still work on the currently
> selected item in the layer stack (and its child items).
>
> It feels a little bit like bike shedding, but I still believe that
> "Layer" is correct.
>
> Bye,
>         Simon
> --
>               [hidden email]              http://simon.budig.de/
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-developer-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership:
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
>
--
https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list