sharpening filters

Milan Vymazal
Hi there

This is the first time I have asked a question about using Gimp and  I`m
not sure if it goes to the right adressee. If not, please forward it.

The question is very specific:

*What settings of the "Unsharp Mask" filter (radius, amount, threshold,
etc.) in Gimp 2.10 correspond to the value of 20% of the old "Sharpen"
filter in Gimp 2.8?
*

Or, to be more general: *What`s the relation between the two filters?*
**

To be honest, I`m not very happy that the old filter has disappeared.
For my purpose, it worked fine.

Best regards

Milan Vymazal, CZ

Re: sharpening filters

Liam R E Quin
On Sun, 2020-10-25 at 13:34 +0100, Milan Vymazal wrote:
> *What settings of the "Unsharp Mask" filter (radius, amount,
> threshold, etc.) in Gimp 2.10 correspond to the value of 20% of the
> old "Sharpen"  filter in Gimp 2.8?

None; i think they use a different algorithm. I find i get the best
results with unsharp if "amount" is noticeably larger than "radius".

The G'MIC plugin also has some sharpen filters.

slave ankh