sharpen filter

Marco Ciampa-2
(Re posted here because got no answer from the dev ml...)

what happened of the "sharpen" filter in GIMP?
Will it return one of this days?
What can I use in the meantime?

TIA

--

Marco Ciampa

Re: sharpen filter

Alexandre Prokoudine
On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 12:12 PM, Marco Ciampa wrote:
> (Re posted here because got no answer from the dev ml...)
>
> what happened of the "sharpen" filter in GIMP?

It was removed.

> Will it return one of this days?

Unlikely.

> What can I use in the meantime?

Unsharp mask.

Re: sharpen filter

Marco Ciampa-2
On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 12:17:23PM +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

> On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 12:12 PM, Marco Ciampa wrote:
> > (Re posted here because got no answer from the dev ml...)
> >
> > what happened of the "sharpen" filter in GIMP?
>
> It was removed.
>
> > Will it return one of this days?
>
> Unlikely.
>
> > What can I use in the meantime?
>
> Unsharp mask.
>
> Alex

Thank you for your promptly answer Alex!

--

Marco Ciampa

sharpen filter

Misslo777
This is all very well, but in my experience the Sharpen filter and Unsharp Mask
filter gave different results, and sometimes I preferred the effect of one or
the other, so I'm puzzled why the option was removed. What is the benefit
supposed to be?

--
AndiJF (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

sharpen filter

Misslo777
I'm beginning to wonder if this "Help & Support" forum is actually active...

Is there a way to get back the option of using the old Sharpen function? As I
said above, one got different results in GIMP 2.8 from the Sharpen and Unsharp
Mask filters, and each could give better results, depending on the image. It
seems like a backward step to remove the option.

--
AndiJF (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: sharpen filter

Users mailing list
On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 2:15 PM AndiJF wrote:

> I'm beginning to wonder if this "Help & Support" forum is actually active...

You should have subscribed to the mailing list instead :)

> Is there a way to get back the option of using the old Sharpen function?

Yes. 'Help > Search and Run Command', enter 'sharpen', choose the top entry.

sharpen filter

Misslo777
Thank you for responding!

>You should have subscribed to the mailing list instead :)

I thought the forum was connected to the mailing list!

Andi.

--
AndiJF (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)