script recording

Paul Thompson
I am working on a script recorder for GIMP. I actually have a small grant
for this from ORI.

1) I am trying to do a basic thing - determine the files that are opened
for image source and image export. I found the name of the source file. I
am now working on the export file name.
a) This is done as best I can tell with a number of save_image calls. These
all are in different places related to image encoding (jpeg, png, etc). I
assume this is sort of an overloaded subroutine call. I cannot find where
the save_image call is made. Once the name of the file is determined in the
Export dialog, how is save_image called? And specifically where is the
export dialog?

2) Is there a meta-level description of the GIMP event loop? This would be
a listing of the main event handler, and a listing of what is called for
each event which is raised in the event loop.

Paul A. Thompson, Ph.D., PSTAT

Re: script recording

Partha Bagchi-2
On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 1:17 PM, Paul Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am working on a script recorder for GIMP. I actually have a small grant
> for this from ORI.
>
> 1) I am trying to do a basic thing - determine the files that are opened
> for image source and image export. I found the name of the source file. I
> am now working on the export file name.
> a) This is done as best I can tell with a number of save_image calls. These
> all are in different places related to image encoding (jpeg, png, etc). I
> assume this is sort of an overloaded subroutine call. I cannot find where
> the save_image call is made. Once the name of the file is determined in the
> Export dialog, how is save_image called? And specifically where is the
> export dialog?
>
> 2) Is there a meta-level description of the GIMP event loop? This would be
> a listing of the main event handler, and a listing of what is called for
> each event which is raised in the event loop.
>
> Paul A. Thompson, Ph.D., PSTAT

I might be missing something. But have you looked at file-save.c in
app/file/?

If you are working on a script recorder, is it possible to mimic how "undo"
is done, since undo has to remember steps you took so that it can undo?

Re: script recording

Michael Schumacher

On 03/10/2017 07:17 PM, Paul Thompson wrote:

> I am working on a script recorder for GIMP. I actually have a small
> grant for this from ORI.

Nice.

The lack of answers here is most likely because people think you are
concentrating on a tiny step, without having a big picture of what you
want to achieve. It would be useful if you could elaborate on the
overall design of your planned recorder.

Have you considered anything that is suggested in the script recorder
feature request in Bugzilla, or taken hints from previous attempts at
script recording in GIMP (there have been some, web searches should be
able to find them)?

Also, it would be good if you could make it a habit to be on the #gimp
IRC channel on irc.gimp.org - European evenings work best to meet other
developers there.