resynthesizer problems

Frank McCormick-2
I dl'ed the latest resynthesizer from the GIMP plugin registry - but can't
get
it working.

I am running gimp 2.8.6 on Fedora 19...I put all the package files into
the plugins directory in my home directory.

It shows up in the filters/map/resynthesize menu but when I tested it out
by selecting an object in a jpeg, little happened, other than some very
minor
changes to the area selected.  I tried changing various
parameters but was unsuccessful. I also tried the  heal selection but that
just bring up the old 'heal brush' as it has in the past.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks

By the way UCEProtect has blacklisted my providers addresses so I
have to write from Gmail

--
Frank in Montreal

Re: resynthesizer problems

Jim Sabatke-3
Resynthesizer can be really confusing. It sounds like you are having the
same problems others have seen, and that I experienced also.  I wrote up
a tutorial that may be what you need.  It's on the plug-in site.  If you
can't find it, let me know and I'll look it up for you.

Jim

On 07/12/2013 02:58 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:

> I dl'ed the latest resynthesizer from the GIMP plugin registry - but can't
> get
> it working.
>
> I am running gimp 2.8.6 on Fedora 19...I put all the package files into
> the plugins directory in my home directory.
>
> It shows up in the filters/map/resynthesize menu but when I tested it out
> by selecting an object in a jpeg, little happened, other than some very
> minor
> changes to the area selected.  I tried changing various
> parameters but was unsuccessful. I also tried the  heal selection but that
> just bring up the old 'heal brush' as it has in the past.
>
> Am I missing something ?
>
> Thanks
>
> By the way UCEProtect has blacklisted my providers addresses so I
> have to write from Gmail

Re: resynthesizer problems

Partha Bagchi-2
Don't use resynthesizer directly. Use the "heal selection" menu item from
Filters -> Enhance -> Heal Selection.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Jim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Resynthesizer can be really confusing. It sounds like you are having the
> same problems others have seen, and that I experienced also.  I wrote up a
> tutorial that may be what you need.  It's on the plug-in site.  If you
> can't find it, let me know and I'll look it up for you.
>
> Jim
>
> On 07/12/2013 02:58 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
>
>> I dl'ed the latest resynthesizer from the GIMP plugin registry - but can't
>> get
>> it working.
>>
>> I am running gimp 2.8.6 on Fedora 19...I put all the package files into
>> the plugins directory in my home directory.
>>
>> It shows up in the filters/map/resynthesize menu but when I tested it out
>> by selecting an object in a jpeg, little happened, other than some very
>> minor
>> changes to the area selected.  I tried changing various
>> parameters but was unsuccessful. I also tried the  heal selection but that
>> just bring up the old 'heal brush' as it has in the past.
>>
>> Am I missing something ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> By the way UCEProtect has blacklisted my providers addresses so I
>> have to write from Gmail

Re: resynthesizer problems

Frank McCormick-2
Sorry if this reply is a little messed up.....blame gmail  :

Thanks Jim - I'll look for the tutorial.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Jim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Resynthesizer can be really confusing. It sounds like you are having the
> same problems others have seen, and that I experienced also.  I wrote up a
> tutorial that may be what you need.  It's on the plug-in site.  If you
> can't find it, let me know and I'll look it up for you.
>
> Jim
>
> On 07/12/2013 02:58 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
>
>> I dl'ed the latest resynthesizer from the GIMP plugin registry - but can't
>> get
>> it working.
>>
>> I am running gimp 2.8.6 on Fedora 19...I put all the package files into
>> the plugins directory in my home directory.
>>
>> It shows up in the filters/map/resynthesize menu but when I tested it out
>> by selecting an object in a jpeg, little happened, other than some very
>> minor
>> changes to the area selected.  I tried changing various
>> parameters but was unsuccessful. I also tried the  heal selection but that
>> just bring up the old 'heal brush' as it has in the past.
>>
>> Am I missing something ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> By the way UCEProtect has blacklisted my providers addresses so I
>> have to write from Gmail

Frank in Montreal

Re: resynthesizer problems

Frank McCormick-2
Thanks  but I already tried the heal selection and it didn't help. Maybe I
was looking in the wrong
place ?

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Partha Bagchi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Don't use resynthesizer directly. Use the "heal selection" menu item from
> Filters -> Enhance -> Heal Selection.
>

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Jim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Resynthesizer can be really confusing. It sounds like you are having the
> > same problems others have seen, and that I experienced also.  I wrote up
> > tutorial that may be what you need.  It's on the plug-in site.  If you
> > can't find it, let me know and I'll look it up for you.
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > On 07/12/2013 02:58 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
> >
> >> I dl'ed the latest resynthesizer from the GIMP plugin registry - but
> can't
> >> get
> >> it working.
> >>
> >> I am running gimp 2.8.6 on Fedora 19...I put all the package files into
> >> the plugins directory in my home directory.
> >>
> >> It shows up in the filters/map/resynthesize menu but when I tested it
> out
> >> by selecting an object in a jpeg, little happened, other than some very
> >> minor
> >> changes to the area selected.  I tried changing various
> >> parameters but was unsuccessful. I also tried the  heal selection but
> that
> >> just bring up the old 'heal brush' as it has in the past.
> >>
> >> Am I missing something ?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> By the way UCEProtect has blacklisted my providers addresses so I
> >> have to write from Gmail

Frank in Montreal

Re: resynthesizer problems

Partha Bagchi-2
Sorry, in that case, you have to post the image that you are working with,
what you are trying to do, and what you are expecting to see.

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM, Frank McCormick <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Thanks  but I already tried the heal selection and it didn't help. Maybe I
> was looking in the wrong
> place ?
>

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Partha Bagchi <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Don't use resynthesizer directly. Use the "heal selection" menu item from
> > Filters -> Enhance -> Heal Selection.
> >

> > On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Jim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Resynthesizer can be really confusing. It sounds like you are having
> the
> > > same problems others have seen, and that I experienced also.  I wrote
> up
> > > tutorial that may be what you need.  It's on the plug-in site.  If you
> > > can't find it, let me know and I'll look it up for you.
> > >
> > > Jim

> > can't

> into

> > out
> very
> > that

> Frank in Montreal

Re: resynthesizer problems

Frank McCormick-2
Sorry but I have no filters...enhance...heal selection in my menus...all I
have is the map..resynthesize selection and it doesn't work.
It either makes no changes or else changes very little of the selected area.

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:28 AM, Partha Bagchi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, in that case, you have to post the image that you are working with,
> what you are trying to do, and what you are expecting to see.
>

> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM, Frank McCormick <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Thanks  but I already tried the heal selection and it didn't help. Maybe I
>> was looking in the wrong
>> place ?
>>

>> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Partha Bagchi <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Don't use resynthesizer directly. Use the "heal selection" menu item
>> from
>> > Filters -> Enhance -> Heal Selection.

>> the
>> up

>> > can't

>> into

>> > out
>> very
>> > that

>> --
>> Frank in Montreal

Frank in Montreal

Re: resynthesizer problems

Partha Bagchi-2
Frank,

When you start Gimp, you don't see a menu item called Filters? If not, your
installation is defective. Also, if you don't see "heal selection", you
don't have python installed in your Gimp installation.

Hope this helps.

Partha

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:54 AM, Frank McCormick <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Sorry but I have no filters...enhance...heal selection in my menus...all I
> have is the map..resynthesize selection and it doesn't work.
> It either makes no changes or else changes very little of the selected
> area.
>

> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:28 AM, Partha Bagchi <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Sorry, in that case, you have to post the image that you are working
> with,
> > what you are trying to do, and what you are expecting to see.
> >

> > On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM, Frank McCormick <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks  but I already tried the heal selection and it didn't help.
> Maybe I
> >> was looking in the wrong
> >> place ?

> >> from

> >> the
> wrote
> >> up
> you

> but

> >> into

> it
> >> very
> but

> >> --
> >> Frank in Montreal

> Frank in Montreal

Re: resynthesizer problems

Jim Sabatke-3
If you are looking to use resynthesizer the way others and I were, and
having trouble, I responded to another post a couple days ago after
searching for and finding the steps I posted on the gimp plugin site.
The conversation took place offline, but I'm sending it to the list in
case it can help anyone else.  I realize this may be a solution to a
different problem, but it does work really well in some cases.  The
other poster replied that he got it working with the following steps:

I found my notes in a thread on the gimp plugin site at:

http://registry.gimp.org/node/24243

begin paste from link:

      OK - This works for me
      <http://registry.gimp.org/comment/7671#comment-7671>

I think I found the combination that I found before I lost all my notes
when my system / hard drives crashed.

1. Select a RECTANGULAR area you want to take the sample from. This is
NOT the texture source sample and my notes do not cover textures.

2. "edit->copy"

3. "edit->paste as->new image"

4. Switch to the new image.

5. Go to the layers window

6. Remove the alpha layer - The critical piece

to fill with the sample from step 1.

8. Now "filters->map->resynthesize" should allow you to select the newly
created source image.

This works on SuSE Linux 11.1 with resynthesize v. 0.16-1.2

end paste

I don't know if this addresses your problem, but it's helped a lot of
people trying to do what I was trying to do, that is, to fill in a
selected area with a sample re-synthesized graphic.

Hope this helps.

Jim

On 07/12/2013 11:12 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:

> Thanks  but I already tried the heal selection and it didn't help. Maybe I
> was looking in the wrong
> place ?
>

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Partha Bagchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Don't use resynthesizer directly. Use the "heal selection" menu item from
>> Filters -> Enhance -> Heal Selection.
>>

>> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Jim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Resynthesizer can be really confusing. It sounds like you are having the
>>> same problems others have seen, and that I experienced also.  I wrote up
>>> tutorial that may be what you need.  It's on the plug-in site.  If you
>>> can't find it, let me know and I'll look it up for you.
>>>
>>> Jim

>> can't

>> out
>> that

resynthesizer problems

chrisj

I 'm new to GIMP and I'm getting some trouble with the resynthesizer tool. My
end goal is to remove the subject of this image. I have used resynthesizer to
remove objects that lies on a single color background. This image, however, lies
on a background with multiple colors and I'm having lots of difficulties
removing the object. Please, any assistance would most definitely be
appreciated. I've attached the image to this message.

Sincerely,
Dasa_108

>Sorry, in that case, you have to post the image that you are working
>with,
>what you are trying to do, and what you are expecting to see.
>

>On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM, Frank McCormick
><[hidden email]>wrote:

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/640/original/bhaktivinoda-thakur.jpg

--
Dasa_108 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: resynthesizer problems

Partha Bagchi-2
On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Dasa_108 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I 'm new to GIMP and I'm getting some trouble with the resynthesizer tool.
> My
> end goal is to remove the subject of this image. I have used resynthesizer
> remove objects that lies on a single color background. This image,
> however, lies
> on a background with multiple colors and I'm having lots of difficulties
> removing the object. Please, any assistance would most definitely be
> appreciated. I've attached the image to this message.

The image seems to be that of a person. Are you trying to remove that
person? In other words, you only want the background? I am not sure I
understand what you are trying to do.

Thanks,
Partha

resynthesizer problems

chrisj
>The image seems to be that of a person. Are you trying to remove that
>person? In other words, you only want the background? I am not sure I
>understand what you are trying to do.
>
>Thanks,
>Partha

Hi Partha,

I'm trying to remove the person and remain with the background. Thanks for
taking your time to assist me. It's really appreciated.

Sincerely,
Dasa_108

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 3:57 PM, Dasa_108 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >The image seems to be that of a person. Are you trying to remove that
> >person? In other words, you only want the background? I am not sure I
> >understand what you are trying to do.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Partha
>
> Hi Partha,
>
> I'm trying to remove the person and remain with the background. Thanks for
> taking your time to assist me. It's really appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
> Dasa_108
>
> Sorry, this completely slipped off my radar. :(

Anyway, what you are trying to do is theoretically possible but probably
not the right use of "heal selection".  Select the region you wish to
"heal", go to Filter > Enhance > Heal Selection. Choose pixels from the
side and go inward from the outside. Continue doing this till you have
eliminated the unwanted parts.

Usually you are trying to remove a small part of the image (light pole
perhaps, someone's arm in your image, etc.) and so you can fill in the
region with random pixels from around the location. Here, you are trying to
remove most of the image and so your best bet would be start at the top and
carefully use pixels from above etc.

Finally make sure that the light source remains intact, or the background
would look strange. Your image light source is from the right I think.