request

Bert de Jong
When saving a JPG, please warn if there is transparency.
Currently GIMP saves such images without warnings and just uses the
current background color.
I think a lot of people do not use XCF and are used to saving
transparency to PNG and GIF files.

I think it's customary for GIMP to warn when operations initiated by
the user will be performed slightly different than the user might
expect.
An example is when scaling indexed images.
It then says: "Indexed color layers are always scaled without
interpolation. The chosen interpolation type will affect channels and
layer masks only."

Thanks.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Bert de Jong, Elicom B.V.

Re: request

Tobias Ellinghaus
Am Freitag, 23. Juni 2017, 12:14:19 CEST schrieb Bert de Jong:
> When saving a JPG

GIMP doesn't allow to save a JPEG for quite some versions now.

[...]

Tobias

Re: request

Kevin Cozens-2
On 2017-06-24 11:29 AM, Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:
> Am Freitag, 23. Juni 2017, 12:14:19 CEST schrieb Bert de Jong:
>> When saving a JPG
>
> GIMP doesn't allow to save a JPEG for quite some versions now.

It doesn't allow you to save as JPEG. You need to export an image as a JPEG.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: request

On 06/23/17 14:14, Bert de Jong wrote:

> When saving a JPG, please warn if there is transparency.
> Currently GIMP saves such images without warnings and just uses the
> current background color.
> I think a lot of people do not use XCF and are used to saving
> transparency to PNG and GIF files.
>
> I think it's customary for GIMP to warn when operations initiated by
> the user will be performed slightly different than the user might
> expect.
> An example is when scaling indexed images.
> It then says: "Indexed color layers are always scaled without
> interpolation. The chosen interpolation type will affect channels and
> layer masks only."
>
> Thanks.

Given the number of times I've seen people complaining about the loss of
transparency, that would be a good idea.

What Gimp could have is either a counter of the number of times a
warning has been issued (and stop issuing it after a while) or a "Don't
tell me again" checkbox.

Re: request

Tobias Ellinghaus
Am Samstag, 24. Juni 2017, 19:39:58 CEST schrieb Ofnuts:

> On 06/23/17 14:14, Bert de Jong wrote:
> > When saving a JPG, please warn if there is transparency.
> > Currently GIMP saves such images without warnings and just uses the
> > current background color.
> > I think a lot of people do not use XCF and are used to saving
> > transparency to PNG and GIF files.
> >
> > I think it's customary for GIMP to warn when operations initiated by
> > the user will be performed slightly different than the user might
> > expect.
> > An example is when scaling indexed images.
> > It then says: "Indexed color layers are always scaled without
> > interpolation. The chosen interpolation type will affect channels and
> > layer masks only."
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Given the number of times I've seen people complaining about the loss of
> transparency, that would be a good idea.
>

> What Gimp could have is either a counter of the number of times a
> warning has been issued (and stop issuing it after a while)
That sounds like a bad idea. People will rely on the warning to be there so
they can cancel the export and do something appropriate. Suddenly stopping to
show it will make them complain.

> or a "Don't
> tell me again" checkbox.

Tobias

Re: request

Tobias Ellinghaus
Am Samstag, 24. Juni 2017, 13:02:11 CEST schrieb Kevin Cozens:
> On 2017-06-24 11:29 AM, Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 23. Juni 2017, 12:14:19 CEST schrieb Bert de Jong:
> >> When saving a JPG
> >
> > GIMP doesn't allow to save a JPEG for quite some versions now.
>
> It doesn't allow you to save as JPEG. You need to export an image as a JPEG.

That's what I said.

Re: request

Alexandre Prokoudine
24 июня 2017 г. 8:40 PM пользователь "Ofnuts" <[hidden email]> написал:

What Gimp could have is either a counter of the number of times a warning
has been issued (and stop issuing it after a while) or a "Don't tell me
again" checkbox.

So that people treat it like something annoying and disable it, then still
run into the issue?

Personally, I'd rather see a combobox in JOEG exporting options to select
background color, with these options: Black, White, Current Background
Color, Cyrrent Foreground Color.

Re: request

Kevin Cozens-2
On 2017-06-24 02:40 PM, Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:

> Am Samstag, 24. Juni 2017, 13:02:11 CEST schrieb Kevin Cozens:
>>>
>>> GIMP doesn't allow to save a JPEG for quite some versions now.
>>
>> It doesn't allow you to save as JPEG. You need to export an image as a JPEG.
>
> That's what I said.

ok. I missed the earlier part of the thread. It read to me like someone was
saying their version of GIMP is not able to create JPEG files.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick
C R

Re: request

C R
Was going to recommend this myself. I agree with Alex's suggestion:

Personally, I'd rather see a combobox in JPEG exporting options to select
background color, with these options: Black, White, Current Background
Color, Cyrrent Foreground Color.

Alex

If we do this, there is no need for a warning.

-C