"winterizing" maps

barbsdesk
Hi,
this is probably more a generic graphics question than specific to GIMP but does
anyone know any good links to tutorials, or have any experience of taking top
down graphical maps (stylised) and changing them from a "summer" palette to a
winter one. I've tried just changing the HSB to get a grey blue overall look but
it looks a bit over the top, I'd like to do something a bit more sophisticated
perhaps altering different features of the maps in different ways

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/492/original/map.jpg

--
ekoxe1 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: "winterizing" maps

Rick Strong-2
- For a start, your plants and trees would have no foliage. They would be
sticks.
- Roofs would have snow on them as would your whole background.
- You would only see buildings defined largely because of the shadows they
cast.
- Roads would be defined by ploughed snow banks. The surfaces would be white
unless salted and ploughed.

Trust me—I live in Canada.

Rick S.