question about script-fu and GIMP 2.10

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

question about script-fu and GIMP 2.10

Developers mailing list
Hello dear devs!
I was wondering if, when the GIMP version 2.10 is ready (BTW:
forecast of the release date?) it will contain the old beloved
script-fus with the file->button and file->logo menu entries.
I am asking this because I use to compile an up-to-date dev
version and I am not observing any menu entry of such.

Perhaps there were some decisions about it that i missed?

Keep up your wonderful job with GIMP!
Regards,

--


Marco Ciampa

I know a joke about UDP, but you might not get it.

------------------------

 GNU/Linux User #78271
 FSFE fellow #364

------------------------

_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: question about script-fu and GIMP 2.10

Carol Spears-2
On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 2:18 AM, Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello dear devs!
> I was wondering if, when the GIMP version 2.10 is ready (BTW:
> forecast of the release date?) it will contain the old beloved
> script-fus with the file->button and file->logo menu entries.
> I am asking this because I use to compile an up-to-date dev
> version and I am not observing any menu entry of such.
>
> Perhaps there were some decisions about it that i missed?
>

I think this is the commit you are looking for:


commit 96ab6aa88e2d94241b7caba7f522afbde08ff36f
Author: Øyvind Kolås <[hidden email]>
Date:   Thu May 3 03:47:05 2012 +0200

    scripts: remove the entries registered in the create menu

carol
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: question about script-fu and GIMP 2.10

Øyvind Kolås-2
on Tue, May 30, 2017 at 4:09 PM, Carol Spears <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 2:18 AM, Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello dear devs!
>> I was wondering if, when the GIMP version 2.10 is ready (BTW:
>> forecast of the release date?) it will contain the old beloved
>> script-fus with the file->button and file->logo menu entries.
>> I am asking this because I use to compile an up-to-date dev
>> version and I am not observing any menu entry of such.
>>
>> Perhaps there were some decisions about it that i missed?
>>
>
> I think this is the commit you are looking for:
>
> commit 96ab6aa88e2d94241b7caba7f522afbde08ff36f
> Author: Øyvind Kolås <[hidden email]>
> Date:   Thu May 3 03:47:05 2012 +0200
>
>     scripts: remove the entries registered in the create menu

These menu entries have been hidden for half a decade in the
development version without people seriously missing them. The scripts
have an element of nostalgia for people into 90s webdesign, and are
good candidates for someone to package as a third party nostalgia pack
for GIMP. They are however not the best thing to have cluttering the
menus of the default install for all new operators of the software;
similar effects would rather be achieved through other non-destructive
means in the coming GEGL powered feature. Similar to how we really
want to clean up the default set of brushes and patterns - style,
technique and technology have moved on since GIMPs first decade -
improving the usability and discoverability includes making decisions
about removing/hiding things.

/pippin
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: question about script-fu and GIMP 2.10

Carol Spears-2
On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Øyvind Kolås <[hidden email]> wrote:

> on Tue, May 30, 2017 at 4:09 PM, Carol Spears <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 2:18 AM, Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello dear devs!
> >> I was wondering if, when the GIMP version 2.10 is ready (BTW:
> >> forecast of the release date?) it will contain the old beloved
> >> script-fus with the file->button and file->logo menu entries.
> >> I am asking this because I use to compile an up-to-date dev
> >> version and I am not observing any menu entry of such.
> >>
> >> Perhaps there were some decisions about it that i missed?
> >>
> >
> > I think this is the commit you are looking for:
> >
> > commit 96ab6aa88e2d94241b7caba7f522afbde08ff36f
> > Author: Øyvind Kolås <[hidden email]>
> > Date:   Thu May 3 03:47:05 2012 +0200
> >
> >     scripts: remove the entries registered in the create menu
>
> These menu entries have been hidden for half a decade in the
> development version without people seriously missing them. The scripts
> have an element of nostalgia for people into 90s webdesign, and are
> good candidates for someone to package as a third party nostalgia pack
> for GIMP.
>

And maintain them.  Which is a greater commitment than simply packaging.

I like to think that GIMP is a living text book for pixel related graphics,
in addition to being a professional editing tool.

Truly, what you said is true about the scripts not being useful via their
menu
entries, but via the subdirectory they were great for seeing how to do
things.

(Also the occasional irc log paste within....)

carol
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: question about script-fu and GIMP 2.10

Developers mailing list
In reply to this post by Developers mailing list
On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 03:36:54PM -0400, Carol Spears wrote:
[...]
> but via the subdirectory they were great for seeing how to do
> things.
>
> (Also the occasional irc log paste within....)

Not to mention that they were tremendously effective to demostrate the
power of GIMP effects. I really miss them and hope devs will find a way
to riesumate them!

--


Marco Ciampa

I know a joke about UDP, but you might not get it.

------------------------

 GNU/Linux User #78271
 FSFE fellow #364

------------------------

_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
Loading...