problem running GIMP on remote machine

Rob van Riel
I'm trying to get GIMP to work over remote X. All other programs I try to use on the same setup work, but GIMP is stubbornly refusing.

I log in on the server using

    ssh -X jarl

If I simply fire up xterm, it starts and displays on my local system. However, GIMP gives the following output:

INIT: gimp_load_config
Parsing '/etc/gimp/2.0/gimprc'
Parsing '/home/rob/.gimp-2.2/gimprc'
gimp_composite: use=yes, verbose=no
Processor instruction sets: -mmx -sse -sse2 -3dnow -altivec -vis
Adding theme 'Small' (/usr/share/gimp/2.0/themes/Small)
Adding theme 'Default' (/usr/share/gimp/2.0/themes/Default)
Writing '/home/rob/.gimp-2.2/themerc'
The program 'gimp' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
  (Details: serial 150 error_code 3 request_code 38 minor_code 0)

Does this make any sense to anyone out there?

Rob

Re: problem running GIMP on remote machine

Manish Singh-2
On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 03:47:06PM -0500, Rob van Riel wrote:

> I'm trying to get GIMP to work over remote X. All other programs I try to use on the same setup work, but GIMP is stubbornly refusing.
>
> I log in on the server using
>
>     ssh -X jarl
>
> If I simply fire up xterm, it starts and displays on my local system. However, GIMP gives the following output:
>
> INIT: gimp_load_config
> Parsing '/etc/gimp/2.0/gimprc'
> Parsing '/home/rob/.gimp-2.2/gimprc'
> gimp_composite: use=yes, verbose=no
> Processor instruction sets: -mmx -sse -sse2 -3dnow -altivec -vis
> Adding theme 'Small' (/usr/share/gimp/2.0/themes/Small)
> Adding theme 'Default' (/usr/share/gimp/2.0/themes/Default)
> Writing '/home/rob/.gimp-2.2/themerc'
> The program 'gimp' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
>   (Details: serial 150 error_code 3 request_code 38 minor_code 0)
>   (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
>    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
>    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
>    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
>    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
>

> Does this make any sense to anyone out there?

http://www.openssh.org/faq.html#3.13

OpenSSH stupidly uses untrusted X11 forwarding by default. It uses an
extension that was speced 10 years ago, and badly needs revisiting for
modern times.

If ssh -Y works for you, that's your problem.

Most vendors turn ForwardX11Trusted on, so complain to your vendor (if
that's where you got ssh from) if this isn't the case.

-Yosh