plugin development on a mac

Jason Scherer
Hello,

I'd like to do some plugin development and have been trying to get set up
to do this on a mac.  This has been difficult.  From what I've been able to
gather you have to build from source in order to develop a plugin, because
you need access to gimptool, and that's not available in the typical app
bundles that are distributed for mac.  Gimp obviously has a lot of
dependencies so I was hoping to use a package manager, like brew, to
install at least those (brew doesn't install gimp from source, it uses the
"cask" feature to just install the ".app").  I used brew to install quite a
few of the dependencies but there are issues now where the "configure"
script for gimp doesn't think that gtk+ and pango are installed (even
though they were installed by brew).

I think macports does allow you to build/install gimp from source with one
command. I don't want to revert to using macports because I prefer brew,
but will if absolutely necessary.

I'm emailing the list to ask: is there anyone else building plugins on a
mac?  Did you have issues getting set up?  Is there really no way to build
plugins other than by building all of gimp from source?

Thanks,
Jason

Re: plugin development on a mac

Alexandre Prokoudine
24 июня 2017 г. 11:03 PM пользователь "Jason Scherer" <
[hidden email]> написал:

I'm emailing the list to ask: is there anyone else building plugins on a
mac?  Did you have issues getting set up?  Is there really no way to build
plugins other than by building all of gimp from source?

We briefly discussed this a while ago. Ideally, we should provide some sort
of SDK package for macOS. But our .dmg maintainer is a busy dude with not
much spare time.

I'm sure that Partha will share some knowledge on building plug-ins for
macOS. He's been doing that for quite a while.

Re: plugin development on a mac

Partha Bagchi-2
On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> 24 июня 2017 г. 11:03 PM пользователь "Jason Scherer" <
> [hidden email]> написал:
>
> I'm emailing the list to ask: is there anyone else building plugins on a
> mac?  Did you have issues getting set up?  Is there really no way to build
> plugins other than by building all of gimp from source?
>

> We briefly discussed this a while ago. Ideally, we should provide some sort
> of SDK package for macOS. But our .dmg maintainer is a busy dude with not
> much spare time.
>
> I'm sure that Partha will share some knowledge on building plug-ins for
> macOS. He's been doing that for quite a while.

I'll be more than happy to. Please contact me offline and we can carry on
the discussion there.
Partha