opening a geotiff query

I have a geotiff file. Can gimp open it, allow me to view it as greyscale
terrrain and export as bmp?

Thanks

--
marbles (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: opening a geotiff query

Users mailing list
On 11/5/2018 01:40, marbles wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a geotiff file. Can gimp open it, allow me to view it as greyscale
> terrrain and export as bmp?
>
> Thanks

It's been a long time since I worked with geotiffs in Gimp, but my
experience was that it opens the file like any other tiff format, but
you lose all the metadata.  Though since you are exporting as bmp,
maybe that doesn't matter in this use case?  In my case I had utilities
that could extract the metadata and then restore it into "normal" tiff
format files that I exported out of Gimp.

scott s.
.

Re: opening a geotiff query

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 9:06 PM marbles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a geotiff file. Can gimp open it,

Yes.

allow me to view it as greyscale
> terrrain

Yes.

> and export as bmp?

And yes :)

opening a geotiff query

>It's been a long time since I worked with geotiffs in Gimp, but my
>experience was that it opens the file like any other tiff format, but
>you lose all the metadata.  Though since you are exporting as bmp,
>maybe that doesn't matter in this use case?  In my case I had
>utilities
>that could extract the metadata and then restore it into "normal" tiff
>format files that I exported out of Gimp.
>
>scott s.
>.

Hi scott,

I'm needing to export to have a usable height map to import into 3d modeling
program therefore I would need also to extract the metadata and restore it into
a "normal" tiff.

What utilities did you use, if you can remember ?

Thanks

Calum

--
marbles (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)