[offtopic] image viewer which can show the location on a map

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[offtopic] image viewer which can show the location on a map

Users mailing list
Hi,

does anybody know an application which extracts the GPS coordinates  
from (the EXIF data of) an image and show the location on a map  
(preferably openstreetmap)?

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [offtopic] image viewer which can show the location on a map

Users mailing list
Possibly DigiKam?
https://www.digikam.org

On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 8:20 AM Helmut Jarausch via gimp-user-list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anybody know an application which extracts the GPS coordinates
> from (the EXIF data of) an image and show the location on a map
> (preferably openstreetmap)?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
> Helmut
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
>
--
https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [offtopic] image viewer which can show the location on a map

Users mailing list
On 10/13/2018 04:18:12 PM, Pat David wrote:
> Possibly DigiKam?

Thanks Pat,

I've just installed DigiKam but I can't see any menu item to show the  
location
where the image was taken.

Helmut
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [offtopic] image viewer which can show the location on a map

Steve Kinney


On 10/13/2018 12:13 PM, Helmut Jarausch via gimp-user-list wrote:
> On 10/13/2018 04:18:12 PM, Pat David wrote:
>> Possibly DigiKam?
>
> Thanks Pat,
>
> I've just installed DigiKam but I can't see any menu item to show the
> location
> where the image was taken.

The "show it on a map" part, vs. just showing the coordinates, seems
very unlikely for any image viewer.

If I had to do that for some reason, I would look into creating a shell
script to open the image in a simple viewer (imagemagick comes to mind),
then query the exif data (I think mediaifo does that), pipe that to grep
to return the line with the coordinates, then open a web browser with
the coordinates inserted into the URL as a search query by sed.  As sed
would be involved, I would spend quite some time reading man pages in an
effort to make it do what I want - that thing utterly baffles me.  :D

The devil as always is in the details, but I'm sure it would be possible.






_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [offtopic] image viewer which can show the location on a map

Casey Connor-2
Here is a bash script that will take an image file and open a link in
your browser to the openstreetmap.com site at that location.

It requires that the "exiftool" utility be installed, which you can
install e.g. on debian-based systems with:

*sudo apt-get install libimage-exiftool-perl*

Put the following in a file (preferably in a location that is in your
executable path), call it something like "locatepic".

*#!/bin/bash**
**sensible-browser `exiftool -c "%.6f" $1 | grep "GPS Position" | sed -r
's/^.*: ([0-9]*\.[0-9]*) ([NS]), ([0-9]*\.[0-9]*)
([EW])/http:\/\/www.openstreetmap.org\/search?query=\1%20\2%2C%20\3%20\4/g'`*

(If your distribution doesn't have "sensible-browser" or you don't like
which browser is used by it, you can use "xdg-open" in its place.)

Run this command one time:

*chmod ug+x locatepic*

...to make the file executable. Then run it with:

locatepic /path/to/your/picture.jpg

(Or if the executable is not in your path, use /path/to/locatepic
/path/to/your/picture.jpg)

There are various ways to integrate this into your desktop environment
(e.g. so you can right-click on an image and choose "locatepic"), but I
will leave that as an exercise to the reader. Some useful links:

https://developer.gnome.org/integration-guide/stable/desktop-files.html.en
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/index.html
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4824590/propagate-all-arguments-in-a-bash-shell-script?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa

_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [offtopic] image viewer which can show the location on a map

Casey Connor-2
Sorry, the ASCII-ification added a bunch of asterisks. Let me try that
again:

Here is a bash script that will take an image file and open a link in
your browser to the openstreetmap.com site at that location.

It requires that the "exiftool" utility be installed, which you can
install e.g. on debian-based systems with:

sudo apt-get install libimage-exiftool-perl

Put the following in a file (preferably in a location that is in your
executable path), call it something like "locatepic".

#!/bin/bash
sensible-browser `exiftool -c "%.6f" $1 | grep "GPS Position" | sed -r
's/^.*: ([0-9]*\.[0-9]*) ([NS]), ([0-9]*\.[0-9]*)
([EW])/http:\/\/www.openstreetmap.org\/search?query=\1%20\2%2C%20\3%20\4/g'`

(If your distribution doesn't have "sensible-browser" or you don't like
which browser is used by it, you can use "xdg-open" in its place.)

Run this command one time:

chmod ug+x locatepic

...to make the file executable. Then run it with:

locatepic /path/to/your/picture.jpg

(Or if the executable is not in your path, use /path/to/locatepic
/path/to/your/picture.jpg)

There are various ways to integrate this into your desktop environment
(e.g. so you can right-click on an image and choose "locatepic"), but I
will leave that as an exercise to the reader. Some useful links:

https://developer.gnome.org/integration-guide/stable/desktop-files.html.en
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/index.html
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4824590/propagate-all-arguments-in-a-bash-shell-script?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa


_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [offtopic] image viewer which can show the location on a map

Users mailing list
In reply to this post by Users mailing list
Try here?

https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/extragear-graphics/digikam/using-digikam.html#using-mainwindow-mapview

You can also ping them on the forum:

https://discuss.pixls.us/c/software/digikam


On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 11:13 AM Helmut Jarausch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/13/2018 04:18:12 PM, Pat David wrote:
> > Possibly DigiKam?
>
> Thanks Pat,
>
> I've just installed DigiKam but I can't see any menu item to show the
> location
> where the image was taken.
>
> Helmut

--
https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [offtopic] image viewer which can show the location on a map

Users mailing list
Hi,

darktable has a map view.
https://www.darktable.org/usermanual/en/map_chapter.html

And I wrote some darktable Lua scripts toake the geo information more
useful:
http://dablogter.blogspot.com/2017/04/darktable-geotoolbox-script.html?m=1
https://dablogter.blogspot.com/2016/03/tutorial-creating-maps-from-geo-tagged.html?m=1

Regards,
Tobias

Pat David via gimp-user-list <[hidden email]> schrieb am So., 14.
Okt. 2018, 06:00:

> Try here?
>
>
> https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/extragear-graphics/digikam/using-digikam.html#using-mainwindow-mapview
>
> You can also ping them on the forum:
>
> https://discuss.pixls.us/c/software/digikam
>
>
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 11:13 AM Helmut Jarausch <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On 10/13/2018 04:18:12 PM, Pat David wrote:
> > > Possibly DigiKam?
> >
> > Thanks Pat,
> >
> > I've just installed DigiKam but I can't see any menu item to show the
> > location
> > where the image was taken.
> >
> > Helmut
>
> --
> https://patdavid.net
> GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
>
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [offtopic] image viewer which can show the location on a map

Steve Kinney
In reply to this post by Casey Connor-2
Brilliant!

The open source paradigm in action:

A says, I with I could do this thing...
B says, I bet you could use that thing...
C says, You mean like this?

Boom, done.

:D

On 10/13/2018 11:58 PM, Casey Connor wrote:

> Sorry, the ASCII-ification added a bunch of asterisks. Let me try that
> again:
>
> Here is a bash script that will take an image file and open a link in
> your browser to the openstreetmap.com site at that location.
>
> It requires that the "exiftool" utility be installed, which you can
> install e.g. on debian-based systems with:
>
> sudo apt-get install libimage-exiftool-perl
>
> Put the following in a file (preferably in a location that is in your
> executable path), call it something like "locatepic".
>
> #!/bin/bash
> sensible-browser `exiftool -c "%.6f" $1 | grep "GPS Position" | sed -r
> 's/^.*: ([0-9]*\.[0-9]*) ([NS]), ([0-9]*\.[0-9]*)
> ([EW])/http:\/\/www.openstreetmap.org\/search?query=\1%20\2%2C%20\3%20\4/g'`
>
>
> (If your distribution doesn't have "sensible-browser" or you don't like
> which browser is used by it, you can use "xdg-open" in its place.)
>
> Run this command one time:
>
> chmod ug+x locatepic
>
> ...to make the file executable. Then run it with:
>
> locatepic /path/to/your/picture.jpg
>
> (Or if the executable is not in your path, use /path/to/locatepic
> /path/to/your/picture.jpg)
>
> There are various ways to integrate this into your desktop environment
> (e.g. so you can right-click on an image and choose "locatepic"), but I
> will leave that as an exercise to the reader. Some useful links:
>
> https://developer.gnome.org/integration-guide/stable/desktop-files.html.en
> https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/index.html
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4824590/propagate-all-arguments-in-a-bash-shell-script?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [offtopic] image viewer which can show the location on a map

Casey Connor-2

> Brilliant!
>
> The open source paradigm in action:
>
> A says, I with I could do this thing...
> B says, I bet you could use that thing...
> C says, You mean like this?

You forgot:

D says, You can already do that with program X
E says, And program Y

:-),
-Casey

P.S. A says, Your script didn't work for me on file Z
:-)

_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [offtopic] image viewer which can show the location on a map

Users mailing list
In reply to this post by Casey Connor-2
On 10/14/2018 05:48:41 AM, Casey Connor wrote:

> Here is a bash script that will take an image file and open a link in
> your browser to the openstreetmap.com site at that location.
>
> It requires that the "exiftool" utility be installed, which you can
> install e.g. on debian-based systems with:
>
> *sudo apt-get install libimage-exiftool-perl*
>
> Put the following in a file (preferably in a location that is in your
> executable path), call it something like "locatepic".
>
> *#!/bin/bash**
> **sensible-browser `exiftool -c "%.6f" $1 | grep "GPS Position" | sed  
> -r
> 's/^.*: ([0-9]*\.[0-9]*) ([NS]), ([0-9]*\.[0-9]*)
> ([EW])/http:\/\/www.openstreetmap.org\/search?query=\1%20\2%2C%20\3%20\4/g'`*

Many thanks to all that helped me with possible solutions, especially  
Casey Connor.
Many thanks, Casey.

I have elobrated his method a bit coming up with (calling it  
ShowImageLocation)

#!/bin/bash
qutebrowser `exiftool -c "%.6f" $1 | grep "GPS Position" | \
sed -r -e 's|^.*: ([0-9]+\.[0-9]+) ([NS]), ([0-9]+\.[0-9]+)  
([EW])$|http://www.openstreetmap.org/\\?mlat=\1\2\\&mlon=\3\4\\&zoom=17|g'`

qutebrowser is a lightweight browser on Linux (e.g. Gentoo). One can  
use any other browser, as well.

I love the 'geeqie' image viewer. Luckily is has a very simple plugin  
mechanism (Edit-Configure Plugins).
You can just add a new plugin by entering the full patch of the bash  
script above (ShowImageLocation)

Now, when viewing my photographs I just press the right mouse button  
and select Plugins->ShowImageLocation
This pops up the browser (here qutebrowser) - or reuses it when it is  
open -  with the exact location on Openstreetmap
where hits photograph was taken.

I do love open source since it shows more than one solution in most  
cases.

Many thanks to all, again
Helmut

_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [offtopic] image viewer which can show the location on a map

Users mailing list
Am Mo., 15. Okt. 2018 um 16:38 Uhr schrieb Helmut Jarausch via
gimp-user-list <[hidden email]>:

>
> I have elobrated his method a bit coming up with (calling it
> ShowImageLocation)
>
> #!/bin/bash
> qutebrowser `exiftool -c "%.6f" $1 | grep "GPS Position" | \
> sed -r -e 's|^.*: ([0-9]+\.[0-9]+) ([NS]), ([0-9]+\.[0-9]+)
> ([EW])$|http://www.openstreetmap.org/\\?mlat=\1\2\\&mlon=\3\4\\&zoom=17|g'`
>
> qutebrowser is a lightweight browser on Linux (e.g. Gentoo). One can
> use any other browser, as well.

Perhaps xdg-open is a good alternative to a hard coded browser.
Xdg-open opens a URL in the user's preferred browser:
https://linux.die.net/man/1/xdg-open

Regards Tobias
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list