(no subject)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

(no subject)

Users mailing list
Just wanted to point out that someone is making money from this opensource
software on amazon.
Gjmp is being sold on a disc for 9.99

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Professional-Editing-Software-Windows/dp/B06WP73RDN&ved=2ahUKEwiNtfHN9vjiAhXQbMAKHVhYBIEQFjABegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw1CgKujSPWkBKJ7_FRFA3DM

Kind regards,
Steve.
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (no subject)

Rick Kline
I reported it on the GIMP facebook page and issued a complaint with Amazon.

Rick

 * * ** *** ***** ******** ************* *********************
It’s better to wave at a stranger than to ignore a friend
 * * ** *** ***** ******** ************* *********************



> On Jun 20, 2019, at 4:48 PM, steve watkins via gimp-user-list <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just wanted to point out that someone is making money from this opensource
> software on amazon.
> Gjmp is being sold on a disc for 9.99
>
> https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Professional-Editing-Software-Windows/dp/B06WP73RDN&ved=2ahUKEwiNtfHN9vjiAhXQbMAKHVhYBIEQFjABegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw1CgKujSPWkBKJ7_FRFA3DM
>
> Kind regards,
> Steve.
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (no subject)

Rick Kline
In reply to this post by Users mailing list
Under “Product Description”

"This is a GNU Licensed product and PixelClassics has been granted full rights under this license to distribute derivative works.”

Whatever that means.
Rick

 * * ** *** ***** ******** ************* *********************
It’s better to wave at a stranger than to ignore a friend
 * * ** *** ***** ******** ************* *********************



> On Jun 20, 2019, at 4:48 PM, steve watkins via gimp-user-list <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just wanted to point out that someone is making money from this opensource
> software on amazon.
> Gjmp is being sold on a disc for 9.99
>
> https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Professional-Editing-Software-Windows/dp/B06WP73RDN&ved=2ahUKEwiNtfHN9vjiAhXQbMAKHVhYBIEQFjABegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw1CgKujSPWkBKJ7_FRFA3DM
>
> Kind regards,
> Steve.
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (no subject)

Shlomi Fish
In reply to this post by Users mailing list
Hi Steve,

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 21:48:23 +0100
steve watkins via gimp-user-list <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just wanted to point out that someone is making money from this opensource
> software on amazon.
> Gjmp is being sold on a disc for 9.99
>
> https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Professional-Editing-Software-Windows/dp/B06WP73RDN&ved=2ahUKEwiNtfHN9vjiAhXQbMAKHVhYBIEQFjABegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw1CgKujSPWkBKJ7_FRFA3DM
>

see https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html (and for fun:
https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/show.cgi?id=sharp-sharp-programming-selling-source-code
) as well as https://opensource.org/osd-annotated .



> Kind regards,
> Steve.
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list



--
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish       http://www.shlomifish.org/
http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/Can-I-SCO-Now/ - “Can I SCO Now?”

Q2: Busy people are unproductive. We are very productive and so we’re never
busy.
    — http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/Star-Trek/We-the-Living-Dead/

Please reply to list if it's a mailing list post - http://shlom.in/reply .
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (no subject)

Rick Kline
Well, selling . html was written by a lawyer, wasn’t it? ;-)

Rick

 * * ** *** ***** ******** ************* *********************
It’s better to wave at a stranger than to ignore a friend
 * * ** *** ***** ******** ************* *********************



> On Jun 20, 2019, at 5:11 PM, Shlomi Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 21:48:23 +0100
> steve watkins via gimp-user-list <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Just wanted to point out that someone is making money from this opensource
>> software on amazon.
>> Gjmp is being sold on a disc for 9.99
>>
>> https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Professional-Editing-Software-Windows/dp/B06WP73RDN&ved=2ahUKEwiNtfHN9vjiAhXQbMAKHVhYBIEQFjABegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw1CgKujSPWkBKJ7_FRFA3DM
>>
>
> see https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html (and for fun:
> https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/show.cgi?id=sharp-sharp-programming-selling-source-code
> ) as well as https://opensource.org/osd-annotated .
>
>
>
>> Kind regards,
>> Steve.
>> _______________________________________________
>> gimp-user-list mailing list
>> List address:    [hidden email]
>> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
>> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
>
>
>
> --
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> Shlomi Fish       http://www.shlomifish.org/
> http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/Can-I-SCO-Now/ - “Can I SCO Now?”
>
> Q2: Busy people are unproductive. We are very productive and so we’re never
> busy.
>    — http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/Star-Trek/We-the-Living-Dead/
>
> Please reply to list if it's a mailing list post - http://shlom.in/reply .
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (no subject)

Shlomi Fish
Hi,

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 17:16:14 -0400
Rick Kline <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, selling . html was written by a lawyer, wasn’t it? ;-)
>

I think it was written by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman who is
not a lawyer AFAIK, but it reflects the values of
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html.en and of the
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License which they publish and
under which GIMP is covered. I can sell people a copy of the source code of
GPLed software possibly along with some binaries for as much as I want
(including for millions of USD) as long as I do not violate any other laws.
Some people may opt to buy FOSS on digital media, and it is perfectly legal
under such conditions.

> Rick
>
>  * * ** *** ***** ******** ************* *********************
> It’s better to wave at a stranger than to ignore a friend
>  * * ** *** ***** ******** ************* *********************
>
>
>
> > On Jun 20, 2019, at 5:11 PM, Shlomi Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Steve,
> >
> > On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 21:48:23 +0100
> > steve watkins via gimp-user-list <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >  
> >> Just wanted to point out that someone is making money from this opensource
> >> software on amazon.
> >> Gjmp is being sold on a disc for 9.99
> >>
> >> https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Professional-Editing-Software-Windows/dp/B06WP73RDN&ved=2ahUKEwiNtfHN9vjiAhXQbMAKHVhYBIEQFjABegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw1CgKujSPWkBKJ7_FRFA3DM
> >>  
> >
> > see https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html (and for fun:
> > https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/show.cgi?id=sharp-sharp-programming-selling-source-code
> > ) as well as https://opensource.org/osd-annotated .
> >
> >
> >  
> >> Kind regards,
> >> Steve.
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> gimp-user-list mailing list
> >> List address:    [hidden email]
> >> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> >> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list 
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > -----------------------------------------------------------------
> > Shlomi Fish       http://www.shlomifish.org/
> > http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/Can-I-SCO-Now/ - “Can I SCO Now?”
> >
> > Q2: Busy people are unproductive. We are very productive and so we’re never
> > busy.
> >    — http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/Star-Trek/We-the-Living-Dead/
> >
> > Please reply to list if it's a mailing list post - http://shlom.in/reply .
> > _______________________________________________
> > gimp-user-list mailing list
> > List address:    [hidden email]
> > List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> > List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list 
>



--
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish       http://www.shlomifish.org/
https://github.com/shlomif/what-you-should-know-about-automated-testing

Chuck Norris was never a newbie! He will kill anyone who implies otherwise. In
a very not newbie-like manner.
    — http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/facts/Chuck-Norris/

Please reply to list if it's a mailing list post - http://shlom.in/reply .
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (no subject)

Liam R E Quin
In reply to this post by Rick Kline
On Thu, 2019-06-20 at 17:16 -0400, Rick Kline wrote:
> Well, selling . html was written by a lawyer, wasn’t it? ;-)

The primary author of SGML, the language on which HTML was based, was
written by a lawyer (Dr. Charles Goldfarb).

HTML itself came from the SGML Starter Set via Anders Berglund to (now
Sir) Tim Berners-Lee at CERN. Neither Tim nor Robert Cailliau working
on the Web anf HTML at the start were (or are) lawyers.

Shlomi Fish has already responded to you on the GPL, although the FSF
spent a lot of time in consultations in developing GPL v3, and that
included significant input from laywers.

Liam (slave ankh)


--
Liam Quin, https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/
Available for XML/Document/Information Architecture/XSLT/
XSL/XQuery/Web/Text Processing/A11Y training, work & consulting.
Barefoot webslave for vintage pictures https://www.fromoldbooks.org/

_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (no subject)

Rick Kline
In reply to this post by Rick Kline
Off topic, but man, I wish I could get informative answers this quickly about a MIDI question I have.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 20, 2019, at 6:59 PM, Cliff Pratt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> That means that they can charge for it, under the GNU licence. Anyone can.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>
>> On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 9:11 AM Rick Kline <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Under “Product Description”
>>
>> "This is a GNU Licensed product and PixelClassics has been granted full rights under this license to distribute derivative works.”
>>
>> Whatever that means.
>> Rick
>>
>>  * * ** *** ***** ******** ************* *********************
>> It’s better to wave at a stranger than to ignore a friend
>>  * * ** *** ***** ******** ************* *********************
>>
>>
>>
>> > On Jun 20, 2019, at 4:48 PM, steve watkins via gimp-user-list <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Just wanted to point out that someone is making money from this opensource
>> > software on amazon.
>> > Gjmp is being sold on a disc for 9.99
>> >
>> > https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Professional-Editing-Software-Windows/dp/B06WP73RDN&ved=2ahUKEwiNtfHN9vjiAhXQbMAKHVhYBIEQFjABegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw1CgKujSPWkBKJ7_FRFA3DM
>> >
>> > Kind regards,
>> > Steve.
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > gimp-user-list mailing list
>> > List address:    [hidden email]
>> > List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
>> > List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> gimp-user-list mailing list
>> List address:    [hidden email]
>> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
>> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
>
>
> --
> My Amazon author page : https://amazon.com/author/cliffpratt
> My Facebook author page : https://www.facebook.com/cliffprattauthor
> My Search on Kobo : https://www.kobo.com/search?query=Cliff+Pratt
>
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (no subject)

Michael Schumacher


On 21 June 2019 05:50:33 CEST, Rick Kline <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Off topic, but man, I wish I could get informative answers this quickly
>about a MIDI question I have.

The MIDI support in GIMP? :)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (no subject)

Shlomi Fish
In reply to this post by Liam R E Quin
Hi Liam!

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 19:45:25 -0400
Liam R E Quin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2019-06-20 at 17:16 -0400, Rick Kline wrote:
> > Well, selling . html was written by a lawyer, wasn’t it? ;-)  
>
> The primary author of SGML, the language on which HTML was based, was
> written by a lawyer (Dr. Charles Goldfarb).
>

I think Rick was referring to "selling.html" i.e: the document at
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html - it is just that the period was
surrounded by spaces.

Note that there is also https://www.gimp.org/about/selling.html .

> HTML itself came from the SGML Starter Set via Anders Berglund to (now
> Sir) Tim Berners-Lee at CERN. Neither Tim nor Robert Cailliau working
> on the Web anf HTML at the start were (or are) lawyers.
>
> Shlomi Fish has already responded to you on the GPL, although the FSF
> spent a lot of time in consultations in developing GPL v3, and that
> included significant input from laywers.
>
> Liam (slave ankh)
>
>



--
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish       http://www.shlomifish.org/
Funny Anti-Terrorism Story - http://shlom.in/enemy

One of Rincewind’s tutors had said of him that “to call his understanding of
magical theory abysmal is to leave no suitable word to describe his grasp of
its practice”.
    — Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

Please reply to list if it's a mailing list post - http://shlom.in/reply .
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list