no save/discard/cancel dialog after doing a gradient

no save/discard/cancel dialog after doing a gradient

Cristian Secară-2
Open GIMP, create whatever new image (say, some banner), activate the gradient tool, apply some random gradient.

By closing the image window or GIMP itself, the image disappears without asking anything. I think this happens the same when opening an existing image and just do a gradient on it.

Am I missing something or this is a bug ?

--
Cristian Secară
https://www.secarica.ro

Re: no save/discard/cancel dialog after doing a gradient

Shlomi Fish
Hi Cristian!

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 06:37:21 +0300
Cristian Secară <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Open GIMP, create whatever new image (say, some banner), activate the
> gradient tool, apply some random gradient.
>
> By closing the image window or GIMP itself, the image disappears without
> asking anything. I think this happens the same when opening an existing image
> and just do a gradient on it.
>
> Am I missing something or this is a bug ?

I can reproduce this problem with /usr/bin/gimp ( GNU Image Manipulation
Program version 2.10.22 ) and gimp-2.99 built from source - both on Mageia
Linux v8 x86-64. I think it is a bug, but I may be proven wrong.

Thanks!

--

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
Perl Elems to Avoid - https://perl-begin.org/tutorials/bad-elements/

Chuck Norris has an Erdős number of -1.
    — https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/facts/Chuck-Norris/

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 11:37 PM Cristian Secară <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Open GIMP, create whatever new image (say, some banner), activate the
> gradient tool, apply some random gradient.
>
> By closing the image window or GIMP itself, the image disappears without
> asking anything. I think this happens the same when opening an existing
> image and just do a gradient on it.

I can partially-replicate this: If I use the gradient tool but do not
"commit" the gradient, GIMP will close without prompting. If I hit <Enter>
to complete the gradient I am prompted when closing the window.

Version 2.10.18, Linux Ubuntu.

Chris

Re: no save/discard/cancel dialog after doing a gradient

Cristian Secară-2
În data de Sat, 17 Oct 2020 14:09:23 -0400, Christopher Curtis a scris:

> > Open GIMP, create whatever new image (say, some banner), activate
> > the gradient tool, apply some random gradient.
> >
> > By closing the image window or GIMP itself, the image disappears
> > without asking anything. [...]
>
> I can partially-replicate this: If I use the gradient tool but do not
> "commit" the gradient, GIMP will close without prompting. If I hit
> <Enter> to complete the gradient I am prompted when closing the
> window.

Yes, true.

Although this somewhat makes sense, it seems not quite consistent (well, in my opinion): if I initiate the gradient and then save the image without prior pressing <Enter>, then the saved image *does* contain the gradient applied.

BTW, this applies the same to rotate, perspective, cage etc.

Thanks for the observation.

Cristi

--
Cristian Secară
https://www.secarica.ro

Re: no save/discard/cancel dialog after doing a gradient

Michael Schumacher

On 10/17/20 9:06 PM, Cristian Secară wrote:

> Yes, true.
>
> Although this somewhat makes sense, it seems not quite consistent (well, in my opinion): if I initiate the gradient and then save the image without prior pressing <Enter>, then the saved image *does* contain the gradient applied.
>
> BTW, this applies the same to rotate, perspective, cage etc.

There have been specific changes to address the behavior on save and
export when a pending tool action is present - see e.g.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/1202

and

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/1180

Getting a save/discard/cancel dialog depends on whether the image is
modified, which it likely isn't considered as such at this point.

You should probably file this as an issue at

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues