new version

Developers mailing list
Hello,

So I shoot most of my pictures in *RAW format* and it is a *.ARW* One of my
friends told me about GIMP but i tried to open one of my pic and it is not
supported because it is in RAW format not *JPEG*. So i was wondering in the
next update if you could include RAW format as well

Thanks

Re: new version

Liam R E Quin
On Tue, 2020-11-10 at 22:00 -0800, M via gimp-developer-list wrote:
> Hello,
>
> So I shoot most of my pictures in *RAW format* and it is a *.ARW* One
> of my
> friends told me about GIMP but i tried to open one of my pic and it
> is not
> supported because it is in RAW format not *JPEG*. So i was wondering
> in the
> next update if you could include RAW format as well

GIMP can already open raw camera files, depending on the camera model
(I'mnot familiar with .ARW files myself; my camera makes .cr2 files)
but depending on the platform you need to install a plugin. The
Darktable gimp plugin seems the easiest to use of the ones i've tried.

Click here to have the slave rewarded with more chores.

Re: new version

On 11/11/2020 07:00:02 AM, M via gimp-developer-list wrote:

> Hello,
>
> So I shoot most of my pictures in *RAW format* and it is a *.ARW* One
> of my
> friends told me about GIMP but i tried to open one of my pic and it
> is not
> supported because it is in RAW format not *JPEG*. So i was wondering
> in the
> next update if you could include RAW format as well

Have a look at
www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Sk755osjg

You can install a Gimp plugin - I prefer nufraw - which can import raw
files (.arw too) into Gimp

Re: new version

Patrick Shanahan-3
* Helmut Jarausch via gimp-developer-list <[hidden email]> [11-15-20 08:15]:

> On 11/11/2020 07:00:02 AM, M via gimp-developer-list wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > So I shoot most of my pictures in *RAW format* and it is a *.ARW* One of
> > my
> > friends told me about GIMP but i tried to open one of my pic and it is
> > not
> > supported because it is in RAW format not *JPEG*. So i was wondering in
> > the
> > next update if you could include RAW format as well
> >

> Have a look at
> www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Sk755osjg
>
> You can install a Gimp plugin - I prefer nufraw - which can import raw files
> (.arw too) into Gimp

and there is darktable and rawtherapee

Re: new version

Elle Stone
On 11/15/20 11:12 AM, Paka wrote:
>> You can install a Gimp plugin - I prefer nufraw - which can import raw files
>> (.arw too) into Gimp
> and there is darktable and rawtherapee

and PhotoFlow.

One consideration, depending on your anticipated workflow: darktable,
RawTherapee, and PhotoFlow allow to keep processing at 32-bit floating
point from raw processing to opening in GIMP. Last I checked (long time
ago) nufraw only output at 16-bit integer.

Re: new version

Kevin Cozens-2
On 2020-11-15 8:14 a.m., Helmut Jarausch via gimp-developer-list wrote:
> You can install a Gimp plugin - I prefer nufraw - which can import raw files
> (.arw too) into Gimp

I was going to mention ufraw. nufra must be a newer version (or fork) of ufraw.

What I don't like about some of the external tools that act as plug-ins for
GIMP is they have you select various settings that alter the image before
you have imported it in to GIMP and decided what needs to be changed in the
original image.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick