Quantcast

new user

rich2005
I am having a hard time understanding something.
an area I have selected, will not move when i try to move it, I will either move
the selection box or the layer.
how do i move the selection area.

--
spy46 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: new user

Steve Kinney

On 03/10/2017 11:41 AM, spy46 wrote:
> I am having a hard time understanding something.
> an area I have selected, will not move when i try to move it, I will either move
> the selection box or the layer.
> how do i move the selection area.

The usual method is to make your selection, adjust the size, shape and
location of the selection as necessary then do Edit > Cut (or Ctrl+x)
and Edit > Paste (or Ctrl+v).  This puts a copy of the selected area
right where it was selected from, and you can drag it around to any
location.  When it is where you want to leave it, click once /outside/
the selection you have been dragging around and it will anchor (merge
down into) the layer you are working on.

Note that if your layer has an alpha channel, dragging the pasted in
selection around will leave a transparent "hole" in the layer.  If your
layer does not have an alpha channel, that "hole" will be the current
background color (white by default).  In the Layers dialog, you will see
options to Add Alpha Channel or Remove Alpha Channel from the currently
selected layer.

You can also make a selection and do Edit > Copy (or Ctrl+c), then Edit
> Paste (or Ctrl+v), then move and anchor your copied selection as
desired, leaving the originally selected area intact.

:o)

new user

rich2005
Thank you.
I would not have thought it would be this ..... annoying and yet easy.

--
spy46 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: new user

Patrick Shanahan
* spy46 <[hidden email]> [03-13-17 16:53]:
> Thank you.
> I would not have thought it would be this ..... annoying and yet easy.

probably a "Good Thing" but with the information provided, rather
difficult to determine and my cyrstal ball is in the shop for repairs.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2      Registered Linux User #207535
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                 @ http://linuxcounter.net