multi-line text manipulation

Roel Schroeven-2
First off - kudos to all who have contributed to Gimp and its parts.  It is a
wonderful tool.

I'm often needing to manipulate blocks of text in advertising pieces.  I seem
to be stuck between the text tool with simple multi-line entry and freetype2
with font manipulation capabilities.  I need both of these things together.
What are my options?

John

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: multi-line text manipulation

Michael Schumacher
John in Oregon wrote:
> First off - kudos to all who have contributed to Gimp and its parts.  It is a
> wonderful tool.
>
> I'm often needing to manipulate blocks of text in advertising pieces.  I seem
> to be stuck between the text tool with simple multi-line entry and freetype2
> with font manipulation capabilities.  I need both of these things together.
> What are my options?

Contribute to the text tool to make it better.
Or do the image manipulation in GIMP and the final arrangement of text
and images in e.g. OpenOffice.

HTH,

The GIMP > http://www.gimp.org      | IRC: irc://irc.gimp.org/gimp
    Wiki > http://wiki.gimp.org     | .de: http://gimpforum.de
Plug-ins > http://registry.gimp.org |

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Using Gimp to make business cards

Scott-2-2

    I'm going to be starting a new business soon where I go into peoples
homes and either tutor them with computers or do maintenance on their
computers.  I am going to need a business card and I was thinking about
using The Gimp instead of OOo Write; which I would normally use.

    I was thinking about designing the first business card as a layer
than duplicating that layer 9 times to create a sheet of ten business
cards.  If there are any suggestions anyone would have, I would greatly
appreciate it.

    Oh, and I will, of course, be highly suggesting The Gimp to anyone
who requires a graphical program, and will install it and tutor them as
well if they ask.

--
Your Friend,
Scott

http://www.bmts.com/~anydelivery

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: multi-line text manipulation

Roel Schroeven-2
> Michael Schumacher <schumaml@...> writes:
>
> John in Oregon wrote:
> > First off - kudos to all who have contributed to Gimp and its parts.  It is
> > wonderful tool.
> >
> > I'm often needing to manipulate blocks of text in advertising pieces.  I
seem
> > to be stuck between the text tool with simple multi-line entry and
freetype2
> > with font manipulation capabilities.  I need both of these things
together.
> > What are my options?
>
> Contribute to the text tool to make it better.
> Or do the image manipulation in GIMP and the final arrangement of text
> and images in e.g. OpenOffice.
>
> HTH,
> Michael

If I had technical expertise I would contribute.  However, given my lack of
technical expertise your suggestion that I help is either asking for problems
or a long wait.

I'm a product marketing guy.  I can write product requirements or use cases but
the last code I wrote was PASCAL more than 25 years ago.

John

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Using Gimp to make business cards

Nathan Wong
Scott wrote:

>     I'm going to be starting a new business soon where I go into peoples
> homes and either tutor them with computers or do maintenance on their
> computers.  I am going to need a business card and I was thinking about
> using The Gimp instead of OOo Write; which I would normally use.
>
>     I was thinking about designing the first business card as a layer
> than duplicating that layer 9 times to create a sheet of ten business
> cards.  If there are any suggestions anyone would have, I would greatly
> appreciate it.

I'd have thought that OOo Draw (use the 2.0 betas) would be better
suited for that task. You could always import those GIMP images that you
need and want.
You call though.

Nathan

Nathan Wong wrote:

> Scott wrote:
>
> >     I'm going to be starting a new business soon where I go into peoples
> > homes and either tutor them with computers or do maintenance on their
> > computers.  I am going to need a business card and I was thinking about
> > using The Gimp instead of OOo Write; which I would normally use.
> >
> >     I was thinking about designing the first business card as a layer
> > than duplicating that layer 9 times to create a sheet of ten business
> > cards.  If there are any suggestions anyone would have, I would greatly
> > appreciate it.
>

> I'd have thought that OOo Draw (use the 2.0 betas) would be better
> suited for that task. You could always import those GIMP images that you
> need and want.

I have never really used the OOo Draw much.  I thought that it was like
a a simpler, smaller version of gimp.  I will check it out and see what
I can do.  Thank you for the advise.

--
Your Friend,
Scott
"Do to others as you would have them do onto you"
The Golden Rule

http://www.bmts.com/~anydelivery

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: multi-line text manipulation

apnakamran
--- In [hidden email], John in Oregon <gimpwin-
users@m...> wrote:
> First off - kudos to all who have contributed to Gimp and its
parts.  It is a
> wonderful tool.
>
> I'm often needing to manipulate blocks of text in advertising
pieces.  I seem
> to be stuck between the text tool with simple multi-line entry and
freetype2
> with font manipulation capabilities.  I need both of these things
together.
> What are my options?
>
> John

i guess Micheal Shumaker gav a somewhat rude answer.. which was
quite discouraging...

as for the solution, i guess you have to go along creating separate
text layers. however, there maybe more to it.

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Using Gimp to make business cards

Brian Tunell
--- In [hidden email], Nathan Wong <estel@f...> wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>
> >     I'm going to be starting a new business soon where I go into
peoples
> > homes and either tutor them with computers or do maintenance on their
> > computers.  I am going to need a business card and I was thinking
about
> > using The Gimp instead of OOo Write; which I would normally use.
> >
> >     I was thinking about designing the first business card as a layer
> > than duplicating that layer 9 times to create a sheet of ten business
> > cards.  If there are any suggestions anyone would have, I would
greatly
> > appreciate it.
>

> I'd have thought that OOo Draw (use the 2.0 betas) would be better
> suited for that task. You could always import those GIMP images that
you
> need and want.
> You call though.
>
> Nathan

You might also consider using Inkscape along with GIMP.

-Brian