modular GIMP

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

modular GIMP

delriaan
Just a general question to throw out there:  Is it feasible to have GIMP  
be modular in it's filters and image tools (basically all of the image  
processing stuff outside of painting)?  I've worked in 3D with apps that  
have such an approach, where each module can be added / removed and the  
object(s) update accordingly.  This would make image editing even more  
flexible, professional, and sexy (hehehe).  This way, one doesn't worry as  
much about having to go thru a lot of undos when something goes wrong or  
the artist has a flash of inspiration that's on a totally different track  
than he/she was on before.  I've been using GIMP for quite a while now,  
and I believe such functionality would really enhance the GIMP experience.

I realize doing such a thing would be a significant change in the inner  
workings of the app.  But it's an idea, and that's what's great about the  
open-source world: that ideas are exchanged and acted upon (or discarded)  
without sitting in board rooms talking about demographics and  
cost-effectiveness and all that drab rubbish!  L8rz!
_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modular GIMP

David Marrs
[hidden email] wrote:

> Just a general question to throw out there:  Is it feasible to have
> GIMP  be modular in it's filters and image tools (basically all of the
> image  processing stuff outside of painting)?  I've worked in 3D with
> apps that  have such an approach, where each module can be added /
> removed and the  object(s) update accordingly.  This would make image
> editing even more  flexible, professional, and sexy (hehehe).  This
> way, one doesn't worry as  much about having to go thru a lot of undos
> when something goes wrong or  the artist has a flash of inspiration
> that's on a totally different track  than he/she was on before.  I've
> been using GIMP for quite a while now,  and I believe such
> functionality would really enhance the GIMP experience.

Are you thinking of something like Blender's object viewer?

I quite like the idea of seeing the signal path laid out in a modular
form. You can see the channels flowing through the layers, which layers
have filters operating on them and how this affects the signal. It would
certainly be useful from the point of view of understanding how an image
gets processed in the GIMP. I don't know how useful it would be as a
tool in its own right, though. Perhaps you could use it to highlight
problems you're having.


--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.11.5 - Release Date: 04/05/2005

_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modular GIMP

Sven Neumann
Hi,

David Marrs <[hidden email]> writes:

> I quite like the idea of seeing the signal path laid out in a
> modular form. You can see the channels flowing through the layers,
> which layers have filters operating on them and how this affects the
> signal. It would certainly be useful from the point of view of
> understanding how an image gets processed in the GIMP.

You just described the image processing graph which is the basic
concept we are trying to implement with GEGL.


Sven
_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modular GIMP

Olivier Ripoll
Sven Neumann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> David Marrs <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>
>>I quite like the idea of seeing the signal path laid out in a
>>modular form. You can see the channels flowing through the layers,
>>which layers have filters operating on them and how this affects the
>>signal. It would certainly be useful from the point of view of
>>understanding how an image gets processed in the GIMP.
>
>
> You just described the image processing graph which is the basic
> concept we are trying to implement with GEGL.
>
>
> Sven
Hi Sven,

I have been following the GEGL mailing-list via the gmane.org newsgroup
server and I see no real traffic in the last months (for this year
actually, like if it stopped on new year's day). Is this a gmane issue
or has there really been no traffic since last December ?

On a totally unrelated topic, I haven't seen any announcement on the
mailing lists for gimp 2.2.7 yet ;) From the changelog, it is mainly a
small-bug fixes, but there is one line with the word "memleak"

Regards,

Olivier.

_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modular GIMP

David Marrs
In reply to this post by Sven Neumann
Sven Neumann wrote:

>You just described the image processing graph which is the basic
>concept we are trying to implement with GEGL.
>
>
>Sven
>  
>
Cool! :D


--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.11.7 - Release Date: 09/05/2005

_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: modular GIMP

Sven Neumann
In reply to this post by Olivier Ripoll
Hi,

Olivier Ripoll <[hidden email]> writes:

> I have been following the GEGL mailing-list via the gmane.org
> newsgroup server and I see no real traffic in the last months (for
> this year actually, like if it stopped on new year's day). Is this a
> gmane issue or has there really been no traffic since last December ?

AFAIK there hasn't been much if any traffic since then.

> On a totally unrelated topic, I haven't seen any announcement on the
> mailing lists for gimp 2.2.7 yet ;) From the changelog, it is mainly
> a small-bug fixes, but there is one line with the word "memleak"

What are you trying to tell us with these vague statements?


Sven
_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modular GIMP

Olivier Ripoll
Sven Neumann wrote:
>>On a totally unrelated topic, I haven't seen any announcement on the
>>mailing lists for gimp 2.2.7 yet ;) From the changelog, it is mainly
>>a small-bug fixes, but there is one line with the word "memleak"
>
>
> What are you trying to tell us with these vague statements?
>
>
> Sven

That 1) an announcement of Gimp 2.2.7 would be welcome on the gimp-devel
and gimp-user mailing lists. I do not usually check the web site.

And that 2) if the announcement could contain some explanations on what
is new and or what important bugs were corrected, it would be also nice :)
Is it highly recommended to upgrade ?
Here is what I could gather from the changelog:

fixes for bugs
#303371 (tile-cache-size > 4GB causes warnings)
#303379 (Typo in description of gimp_image_scale)
#164281 ("Resize window on Zoom" feature is overzealous)
#164061 (lighten only (layer mode))
#302400 (close dialog's labels included in focus chain)
#302075 (Lightning Effects plugin - artifacts in transparent background)
#151767 (File descriptor leak in egg_recent_model_add_full)
#301557 (Saving of grayscale TIFF fails ("Bits/sample must be 1 for
Group 3/4 encoding/decoding"))
#301523 (Thumbnail of filters preview is not selection aware)
#301524 ("reload gradients" in gflare)
#301432 (New PDF files have large gap at top of image)
#301028 (.xcf text layers no longer editable as text on re-open)
#301033 (Layer previews do not update if colormap is changed)

other changes without bug numbers
        * plug-ins/pygimp/plug-ins/clothify.py: don't reset the passed
parameters to default values. Spotted by Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris.
        * tools/pdbgen/pdb/image.pdb: plugged a small memleak.
        * plug-ins/common/mail.c (create_headers): set charset to UTF-8.
        * plug-ins/common/newsprint.c: Redo comment for spot_PSsquare
        and spot_PSdiamonds, since the code was not a derived work in
        the copyright sense. It is a C implementation of the same
        algorithm.
        * libgimp/gimpdrawable.[ch] (gimp_drawable_get_tile)
  (gimp_drawable_get_tile2): cleanup gint/gboolean confusion (spotted
  by Maurits Rijk).
        * app/app_procs.c: register handler for the "GimpPaint" log domain.

Of course, I would not have had to go and dig in bugzilla if the web
site annoucement had contained a link to this:
http://developer.gimp.org/NEWS-2.2

Regards,

Olivier

_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: modular GIMP

Alexander Rabtchevich
I'm second to that - the user list is the right place where the new
releases are to be announced :).

Olivier Ripoll wrote:
>
> That 1) an announcement of Gimp 2.2.7 would be welcome on the gimp-devel
> and gimp-user mailing lists. I do not usually check the web site.
>

--
With respect
Alexander Rabtchevich
_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: modular GIMP

Michael Schumacher
In reply to this post by Olivier Ripoll
> --- Urspr?ngliche Nachricht ---
> Von: Olivier Ripoll <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: [Gimp-user] Re: modular GIMP
> Datum: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:21:56 +0200
>
> Sven Neumann wrote:
> >>On a totally unrelated topic, I haven't seen any announcement on the
> >>mailing lists for gimp 2.2.7 yet ;) From the changelog, it is mainly
> >>a small-bug fixes, but there is one line with the word "memleak"
> >
> >
> > What are you trying to tell us with these vague statements?
> >
> >
> > Sven
>
> That 1) an announcement of Gimp 2.2.7 would be welcome on the gimp-devel
> and gimp-user mailing lists. I do not usually check the web site.
>
> And that 2) if the announcement could contain some explanations on what
> is new and or what important bugs were corrected, it would be also nice :)
> Is it highly recommended to upgrade ?
> Here is what I could gather from the changelog:

So it seems like we have found someone who is able to do such announcements
for future releases :)

Add gimpwin-users and comp.graphics.apps.gimp to the list of places that
have to be notified. There's also some websites out there that should be
updated at this time (Freshmeat, GNOMEfiles, ...)


Michael

--
+++ Lassen Sie Ihren Gedanken freien Lauf... z.B. per FreeSMS +++
GMX bietet bis zu 100 FreeSMS/Monat: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail
_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: modular GIMP

Sven Neumann
In reply to this post by Olivier Ripoll
Hi,

Olivier Ripoll <[hidden email]> writes:

> That 1) an announcement of Gimp 2.2.7 would be welcome on the
> gimp-devel and gimp-user mailing lists. I do not usually check the
> web site.

You could subscribe to my weblog instead ;)

> And that 2) if the announcement could contain some explanations on
> what is new and or what important bugs were corrected, it would be
> also nice :)

I didn't have the impression that anyone would have ever cared about
release announcement mails but perhaps that was a wrong impression.
But since those mails take a considerable amount of time to write, I
would prefer to only do that for major releases? Perhaps someone else
wants to write the mails instead? Or prepare the mail and give it to
me so I can review and send it?

> Is it highly recommended to upgrade ?

GIMP 2.2.7 only features a number of smaller bugfixes. The most
important fix (bug #301028) only affects the Win32 platform.

> Of course, I would not have had to go and dig in bugzilla if the web
> site annoucement had contained a link to this:
> http://developer.gimp.org/NEWS-2.2

Oh, doesn't it? I usually try to include a link to the NEWS file when
announcing the release on the web-site.


Sven
_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user