making a faded handwritten letter legible

making a faded handwritten letter legible

SimoneRodriguez
I have 2400 dpi images that were scanned of a 19th-century handwritten letter
and they are very faded. I am wondering what to adjust in GIMP to try and make
them more legible. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1165/original/letter_sample.tif

--
samkirk (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

making a faded handwritten letter legible

SimoneRodriguez
>I have 2400 dpi images that were scanned of a 19th-century handwritten
>letter and they are very faded. I am wondering what to adjust in GIMP
>to try and make them more legible. Any help is appreciated.

Hi here is a link that can be useful but it is in French

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQefMxxIB_g&list=PLDOYqkeNaJbn1gPbWD7LrjqVnZUSOm3kN&index=80

--
G2Vicoigne (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

making a faded handwritten letter legible

SimoneRodriguez
>I have 2400 dpi images that were scanned of a 19th-century handwritten
>letter and they are very faded. I am wondering what to adjust in GIMP
>to try and make them more legible. Any help is appreciated.

Is the sample the same format as the original scanned image?  The sample is an
indexed 1 bit (black and white) tif. Nothing there except those pixels. In Gimp
use Windows -> Dockable Dialogues -> Colormap See attached clip.

Nothing you can do with that (except guess).

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1170/original/indexed.jpg

Re: making a faded handwritten letter legible

do you have the letter? can you have it re-scanned? can you be there to
manipulate the dpi and contrast? if the answers are no, then i guess
rich404's answer, "Nothing you can do with that (except guess), will have
to suffice.

On 5/5/19 9:03 PM, samkirk wrote:
> I have 2400 dpi images that were scanned of a 19th-century handwritten letter
> and they are very faded. I am wondering what to adjust in GIMP to try and make
> them more legible. Any help is appreciated.
>
> Attachments:
> * https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1165/original/letter_sample.tif

No plain image editor can deduce missing pixels if you can't do it as a
human.

What an image editor can do is tweak gray pixels to make them more (or
less) apparent to improve the legibility of the document. But for this
there should be grey pixels and you image only has pure black and pure
white ones.