jpeg files not recognised

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

jpeg files not recognised

billlee
All of a sudden my jpeg.jpg images are generating a popup message saying they are an unrecognised file type! I'm using GIMP 2.6.12. I cleaned my system. Rebooted - no joy. I uninstalled GIMP - rebooted - reinstalled GIMP - no joy. Any suggestions.

--
autolisp (via gimpusers.com)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: jpeg files not recognised

Ruud Amesz-2
Do you take picture in RAW format? If this is the case you could install UFRaw.

2012/3/7 autolisp <[hidden email]>
All of a sudden my jpeg.jpg images are generating a popup message saying they are an unrecognised file type! I'm using GIMP 2.6.12. I cleaned my system. Rebooted - no joy. I uninstalled GIMP - rebooted - reinstalled GIMP - no joy. Any suggestions.

--
autolisp (via gimpusers.com)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list


_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

jpeg files not recognised

billlee
>Do you take picture in RAW format? If this is the case you could install
>UFRaw.

>2012/3/7 autolisp <[hidden email]>

>> All of a sudden my jpeg.jpg images are generating a popup message saying
>> they are an unrecognised file type! I'm using GIMP 2.6.12. I cleaned my
>> system. Rebooted - no joy. I uninstalled GIMP - rebooted - reinstalled GIMP
>> - no joy. Any suggestions.
>>
>> --
>> autolisp (via gimpusers.com)
>> _______________________________________________
>> gimp-user-list mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
>>

Thanks for the reply.
No. They are 'straight' jpegs. I have opened images previously with 6.2.11 without problems!

--
autolisp (via gimpusers.com)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

jpeg files not recognised

billlee
>>Do you take picture in RAW format? If this is the case you could install
>>UFRaw.

>>2012/3/7 autolisp <[hidden email]>

>>> All of a sudden my jpeg.jpg images are generating a popup message saying
>>> they are an unrecognised file type! I'm using GIMP 2.6.12. I cleaned my
>>> system. Rebooted - no joy. I uninstalled GIMP - rebooted - reinstalled GIMP
>>> - no joy. Any suggestions.
>>>
>>> --
>>> autolisp (via gimpusers.com)
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> gimp-user-list mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
>>>

>Thanks for the reply.
>No. They are 'straight' jpegs. I have opened images previously with 6.2.11 without problems!

Well I installed UFRaw but it made no difference. Just to be sure it was not my pc I opened several jpeg/jpg files in other applications without any problems! None of them will open in GIMP! So I think the problems lies in this application. If I cannot get a solution soon it will be unstalled permanently from my system. That would be a pity beacuse it has a lot of good points. By the way. I'm using WinXP SP3 and all the latest updates.

--
autolisp (via gimpusers.com)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: jpeg files not recognised

andrew.alangdondavies.es
> Just to be sure it was
> not my pc I opened several jpeg/jpg files in other applications without
> any problems! None of them will open in GIMP! So I think the problems lies
> in this application.

Since I can open jpg files in Gimp OK the problem is obviously not this
application.

> gimp-user-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
>
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: jpeg files not recognised

Steve Kinney
On 03/08/2012 03:37 PM, andrew.alangdondavies.es wrote:
>> Just to be sure it was not my pc I opened several jpeg/jpg files
>> in other applications without any problems! None of them will
>> open in GIMP! So I think the problems lies in this application.

Right you are - or, more to the point, the problem lies with the
GIMP installation on your local system.  Others may have more
relevant ideas, but here's mine:

First, does your GIMP installation open other file formats normally
(BMP, PNG, etc)?  If so, the problem may lie with a file called
gimp-jpeg (or maybe gimp-jpg.exe), which may be missing, corrupted,
or prevented from running by an error in file permissions.  If not,
the problem is larger.

Either way, I would:

1.  Uninstall the GIMP.

2.  Do a global file and directory search for the word gimp, and
delete all directories found - unless some have your own files in
them of course!

3. Download a new copy of the installer at
http://www.gimp.org/windows/ and install it.

Note:  Since you did not specify your operating system, I will
assume that it was made by Microsoft.  If your normal user account
on your local computer is an Administrator account, this is a Very
Bad Thing and should be corrected.  But just to make certain that
the OS is not denying your user account access to some files or
directories during installation or operation of the GIMP, you might
want to be sure that your user account IS an Administrator account
just for the duration of the installation process.  If the GIMP
works then, it should still work after you convert your user account
(back) to Restricted because your user account will still "own" the
files created under its reign.

I am not a dev or maintainer, your mileage may vary, I didn't do it
(nobody saw me, you can't prove anything).  But at worst, you will
be no worse off for trying the procedure above and it just might work.

:o)

Steve




_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: jpeg files not recognised

Kevin Cozens-2
In reply to this post by andrew.alangdondavies.es
On 12-03-08 03:37 PM, andrew.alangdondavies.es wrote:
>> Just to be sure it was
>> not my pc I opened several jpeg/jpg files in other applications without
>> any problems! None of them will open in GIMP! So I think the problems lies
>> in this application.
>
> Since I can open jpg files in Gimp OK the problem is obviously not this
> application.

Are you able to open the jpg files that GIMP won't open in another program
or on another machine? Did you create the jpg files that won't open? If you
are in Linux you can use the "file" command to determine the type of file
and if they are really jpg format image files or not. Is it possible you
saved images you were created to disk (they got saved in XCF format) but you
named them .jpg?

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

jpeg files not recognised

billlee
In reply to this post by Steve Kinney
>On 03/08/2012 03:37 PM, andrew.alangdondavies.es wrote:
>>> Just to be sure it was not my pc I opened several jpeg/jpg files
>>> in other applications without any problems! None of them will
>>> open in GIMP! So I think the problems lies in this application.

>Right you are - or, more to the point, the problem lies with the
>GIMP installation on your local system.  Others may have more
>relevant ideas, but here's mine:

>First, does your GIMP installation open other file formats normally
>(BMP, PNG, etc)?  If so, the problem may lie with a file called
>gimp-jpeg (or maybe gimp-jpg.exe), which may be missing, corrupted,
>or prevented from running by an error in file permissions.  If not,
>the problem is larger.

>Either way, I would:

>1.  Uninstall the GIMP.

>2.  Do a global file and directory search for the word gimp, and
>delete all directories found - unless some have your own files in
>them of course!

>3. Download a new copy of the installer at
>http://www.gimp.org/windows/ and install it.

>Note:  Since you did not specify your operating system, I will
>assume that it was made by Microsoft.  If your normal user account
>on your local computer is an Administrator account, this is a Very
>Bad Thing and should be corrected.  But just to make certain that
>the OS is not denying your user account access to some files or
>directories during installation or operation of the GIMP, you might
>want to be sure that your user account IS an Administrator account
>just for the duration of the installation process.  If the GIMP
>works then, it should still work after you convert your user account
>(back) to Restricted because your user account will still "own" the
>files created under its reign.

>I am not a dev or maintainer, your mileage may vary, I didn't do it
>(nobody saw me, you can't prove anything).  But at worst, you will
>be no worse off for trying the procedure above and it just might work.

>:o)

>Steve


Thank you Steve. I will give your sugestions a try.

--
autolisp (via gimpusers.com)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

jpeg files not recognised

billlee
In reply to this post by Kevin Cozens-2
>On 12-03-08 03:37 PM, andrew.alangdondavies.es wrote:
>>> Just to be sure it was
>>> not my pc I opened several jpeg/jpg files in other applications without
>>> any problems! None of them will open in GIMP! So I think the problems lies
>>> in this application.
>>
>> Since I can open jpg files in Gimp OK the problem is obviously not this
>> application.

>Are you able to open the jpg files that GIMP won't open in another program
>or on another machine? Did you create the jpg files that won't open? If you
>are in Linux you can use the "file" command to determine the type of file
>and if they are really jpg format image files or not. Is it possible you
>saved images you were created to disk (they got saved in XCF format) but you
>named them .jpg?

Andrew. The first paragraph states that I can open these files in other applications. MS WinXP SP3 as stated i nprevious questions. Yes they are jpg files from my cameras.

--
autolisp (via gimpusers.com)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

jpeg files not recognised

billlee
In reply to this post by Steve Kinney
>On 03/08/2012 03:37 PM, andrew.alangdondavies.es wrote:
>>> Just to be sure it was not my pc I opened several jpeg/jpg files
>>> in other applications without any problems! None of them will
>>> open in GIMP! So I think the problems lies in this application.

>Right you are - or, more to the point, the problem lies with the
>GIMP installation on your local system.  Others may have more
>relevant ideas, but here's mine:

>First, does your GIMP installation open other file formats normally
>(BMP, PNG, etc)?  If so, the problem may lie with a file called
>gimp-jpeg (or maybe gimp-jpg.exe), which may be missing, corrupted,
>or prevented from running by an error in file permissions.  If not,
>the problem is larger.

>Either way, I would:

>1.  Uninstall the GIMP.

>2.  Do a global file and directory search for the word gimp, and
>delete all directories found - unless some have your own files in
>them of course!

>3. Download a new copy of the installer at
>http://www.gimp.org/windows/ and install it.

>Note:  Since you did not specify your operating system, I will
>assume that it was made by Microsoft.  If your normal user account
>on your local computer is an Administrator account, this is a Very
>Bad Thing and should be corrected.  But just to make certain that
>the OS is not denying your user account access to some files or
>directories during installation or operation of the GIMP, you might
>want to be sure that your user account IS an Administrator account
>just for the duration of the installation process.  If the GIMP
>works then, it should still work after you convert your user account
>(back) to Restricted because your user account will still "own" the
>files created under its reign.

>I am not a dev or maintainer, your mileage may vary, I didn't do it
>(nobody saw me, you can't prove anything).  But at worst, you will
>be no worse off for trying the procedure above and it just might work.

>:o)

>Steve

That worked. I don't understand why my software removal application (uruninstaller) left a trace of something behind. But thanks for the solution.


--
autolisp (via gimpusers.com)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: jpeg files not recognised

Steve Kinney
On 03/09/2012 09:21 AM, autolisp wrote:

>> 1.  Uninstall the GIMP.
>> 2.  Do a global file and directory search for the word gimp, and
delete all directories found - unless some have your own files in
them of course!
>> 3. Download a new copy of the installer at
http://www.gimp.org/windows/ and install it.

> That worked. I don't understand why my software removal
application (uruninstaller) left a trace of something behind. But
thanks for the solution.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Windoze troubleshooting.  The
problem was probabaly a missing or corrupted registry entry caused
by a general Microsoft f***up or an error by a registry cleaner
tool.  Or, the folks who wrote the uninstaller script may have
failed to anticipate some detail of your local system configuration.

Anyway, glad to hear that you are up and GIMPing again!

:o)

Steve

_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

jpeg files not recognised

billlee
In reply to this post by billlee
Thanks for the input/suggestions. Re-installation did not work so I heeded what has been said here and deleted all folders relating to GIMP in all locations and tidied registry with CCleaner and now all works correctly.
Thanks.

--
muffinn (via gimpusers.com)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

jpeg files not recognised

billlee
In reply to this post by billlee
>All of a sudden my jpeg.jpg images are generating a popup message saying they are an unrecognised file type! I'm using GIMP 2.6.12. I cleaned my system. Rebooted - no joy. I uninstalled GIMP - rebooted - reinstalled GIMP - no joy. Any suggestions.


--
jenle (via gimpusers.com)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

jpeg files not recognised

billlee
In reply to this post by billlee
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Gimp 2.10.4 and 2.10.6

I saw the same issue today (21 August 2018.
Uninstalling and cleaning out leftover files removed the issue.  I also deleted
gimp entries in the registry.
Apologies: I didn't try to figure out which dile or registry entry is the
culprit.



--
Punchcard (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: jpeg files not recognised

Ofnuts-2
On 08/22/18 02:21, Punchcard wrote:
> Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
> Gimp 2.10.4 and 2.10.6
>
> I saw the same issue today (21 August 2018.
> Uninstalling and cleaning out leftover files removed the issue.  I also deleted
> gimp entries in the registry.
> Apologies: I didn't try to figure out which dile or registry entry is the
> culprit.
>
Gimp doesn't use the registry. The Gimp profile(*) contains a "pluginrc"
file that configures all the plugins that Gimp found on startup. In case
of trouble you can check that one (or at least make a copy for someone
in the know)

(*) http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/GIMPProfile/

_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

jpeg files not recognised

billlee
>Gimp doesn't use the registry. The Gimp profile(*) contains a
>"pluginrc"
>file that configures all the plugins that Gimp found on startup. In
>case
>of trouble you can check that one (or at least make a copy for someone
>in the know)
>
>(*) http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/GIMPProfile/

Thanks!
The writeup is helpful, though it appears to be out of date.  In my 2.10.6,
there is no .gimp-2.10.

I suspect I somehow told GIMP to look in the wrong folders for file-jpeg.exe,
file-png.exe, etc.
Since these are in ${gimp_plug_in_dir}\\plug-ins\\file-jpeg\\ and
${gimp_plug_in_dir}\\plug-ins\\file-png\\ respectively, I could have lost a
pointer to the common upstream folder, ${gimp_plug_in_dir}\\plug-ins\.

(I added a private folder to the list in Edit/Preferences/Folders/Plug-ins.  I
could have missed an "Oops".)


--
Punchcard (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: jpeg files not recognised

Jernej =?utf-7?Q?Simon+AQ0-i+AQ0-?=
On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 21:42:36 +-0200, Punchcard wrote:

> The writeup is helpful, though it appears to be out of date.  In my 2.10.6,
> there is no .gimp-2.10.

On Windows it's in %APPDATA%\GIMP\2.10 (%APPDATA% is typically
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming - note, the AppData directory is
hidden).

--
< Jernej Simon+AQ0-i+AQ0- ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >


_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list