irregular cropping

Users mailing list
I downloaded GIMP in order to crop around an odd shaped picture, i.e.,
remove the white background around an object in a rectangular picture so as
to leave an odd-shaped image.  I have not studied how to use GIMP.  Since
this is the only thing I wish to use it for I am simply following the
third-party instructions from the website where I found out about it, but
they are simple.   I am:

                Opening my image in GIMP

                Using the Free Select Tool to go around a click on all the
corners, thereby outlining the portion of the image I want.

                Going to Select - Invert in order to deselect the part I
want to keep and select everything else.

                Hit Delete.

When I do so I am expecting everything outside of the desired picture (i.e.
the white area) to go away as the third-part tutorial shows.  Instead,
everything gets deleted.

I also tried selecting portions of the white area using the Free Select Tool
and not doing Select - Invert.  Similarly, it deletes my entire picture
rather than the selected portion when I hit Delete.  Can you tell me what is
going on here and why it won't delete only the part that I wish to delete?

Re: irregular cropping

Rick Strong-2
With GIMP 2.10, you MUST hit "Enter" after you make a selection with the
Free Select tool to make your free selection "stick".

Rick S.

Re: irregular cropping

Steve Kinney

On 11/4/18 9:47 PM, Ward Ricker via gimp-user-list wrote:
> I downloaded GIMP in order to crop around an odd shaped picture, i.e.,
> remove the white background around an object in a rectangular picture so as
> to leave an odd-shaped image.  I have not studied how to use GIMP.  Since
> this is the only thing I wish to use it for I am simply following the
> third-party instructions from the website where I found out about it, but
> they are simple.   I am:
>
>                 Opening my image in GIMP

etc.

I would suggest:

Open your image in the GIMP.

Find your picture in the Layers dialog, right click the thumbnail, and
click Add Alpha Channel.  (That enables transparency.)

Find and activate the Magic Wand tool, a.k.a. contiguous select.  Click
on the background you want rid of.

Then, then do Control-x, or Edit > Delete.

This should remove the unwanted border area, leaving blank space
represented by a two-tone gray checkerboard on the screen.

Then do File > Save as, and enter a name for your edited file, ending in
.png.  Save the image and there ya go:  The result may be good enough
for your purpose, or you may have to use more "manual" techniques.  But
at least it's a start.

For more precise results, the "Lasso" tool used as you describe should
work well; but remember to do Select > Invert before deleting, or you
will remove the content you want to keep, and keep the border you want
rid of.  And always make sure the Alpha channel is on, any time you want
to make something transparent.

:o)

Re: irregular cropping

On Sun, 2018-11-04 at 18:47 -0800, Ward Ricker via gimp-user-list
wrote:

> When I do so I am expecting everything outside of the desired picture
> (i.e. the white area) to go away as the third-part tutorial
> shows.  Instead, everything gets deleted.

i'm not sure what's going on here. You could select part of the image
and drag the white swatch of colour from the toolbox onto the image,
and just the selected part should fill.

You might need to press Enter to confirm the selection after using the
select tool - you should end up with "a line of "marching ants" moving
dots around the edge of your selection.

If the background is solid white, bu the way, the "fuzzy select tool"
is easier:
(1) choose the fuzzy select tool;
(2) click on a white corner of the image
(3) if necessary, shift-click other parts of the picture to add those
to the selection.

For a pro-quality result,
(4) use selection->grow by 1 pixel
(5) use select-feather by e.g. 3 pixels (the best numbers in these two
steps depend on your image and its resolution really)

In either case, then
(6) press delete, or control-x, or drag the white from the toolbox onto
the image, or use control-. (control and comma) to fill the selection
with the current background colour; if you're not sure if it's perfect
white, press d to restore default black and white colours.

Liam (slave ankh)

Click here to have the slave released from its cage.

Re: irregular cropping

Thanks, Rick.  However, I had already tried "Select File Type (by
extension)", but I don't get the same list that you do.  On my computer it
looks like this:

I am not seeing any way to select a PNG format.

Re: irregular cropping

Users mailing list
Hmmm, it seems that my image is not coming through, but what I get is a
black-colored screen, and the options are:
        By Extension
        bzip archive              xcf.bz2,scfbz2
        GIMP XCF image     xcf
        gzip  archive           sct.gz,xcfgz
        xz archive                xcf.xz,scfxz

Re: irregular cropping

I just responded (clicked Reply in my email program) to Rick Strong's email
regarding this topic.  When I sent the email it didn't come through to me.
I assume it only went to Rick, rather than to the whole list, which I should
have done, I presume.  Sorry I don't know very well how to use this listing.
If anyone would like to educate me as to how to make sure I am sending
things properly, feel free.