image channel question

chrisj
I would appreciate some advice on how to solve a channels problem. Each time I
open a new image and then open the channels dialog window it shows three layers;
red, blue and green, all in B&W. How do I return to the base layer in color so I
can duplicate layers. This now happens with every image I open. And any idea
what I did to create this problem.
Thanks

--
Otro (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: image channel question

Carol Spears-2
Windows --> Dockable Dialogs --> Layers

Carol Spears

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 1:40 PM, Otro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would appreciate some advice on how to solve a channels problem. Each time I
> open a new image and then open the channels dialog window it shows three layers;
> red, blue and green, all in B&W. How do I return to the base layer in color so I
> can duplicate layers. This now happens with every image I open. And any idea
> what I did to create this problem.
> Thanks
>
> --
> Otro (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: image channel question

Alexandre Prokoudine
On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 8:40 PM, Otro wrote:
> I would appreciate some advice on how to solve a channels problem. Each time I
> open a new image and then open the channels dialog window it shows three layers;
> red, blue and green, all in B&W. How do I return to the base layer in color so I
> can duplicate layers. This now happens with every image I open. And any idea
> what I did to create this problem.

Ctrl+L

Re: image channel question

Rick Kline

> On Apr 8, 2017, at 1:40 PM, Otro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I would appreciate some advice on how to solve a channels problem. Each time I
> open a new image and then open the channels dialog window it shows three layers;
> red, blue and green, all in B&W. How do I return to the base layer in color so I
> can duplicate layers. This now happens with every image I open. And any idea
> what I did to create this problem.
> Thanks
>
> --
> Otro (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

What operating system are you using? I open a color image with GIMP 2.8.20 on an iMac running OS Sierra (10.12.3) and when I check the Channels dialog, there are the three channels in greyscale: Red, Green and Blue. An individual channel should show as greyscale, since it’s giving brightness information about that color.

To the left of the Channels tab is the Layers tab. I click on that and I’m back at the Layers dialog with color thumbnail.

Links:
Channels screenshot: https://goo.gl/ifqLr9 <https://goo.gl/ifqLr9>
Layers screenshot: https://goo.gl/S5YQtE <https://goo.gl/S5YQtE>

Hope this helps.
Rick

It’s better to wave at a stranger than to ignore a friend