how to obtain the same adjustment in GIMP like this one in Photoshop Express

how to obtain the same adjustment in GIMP like this one in Photoshop Express

Cristian Secară-2
I played a bit with Adobe Photoshop Express in Windows phone and found
a useful adjustment that increases the gain in deep shadow portions,
while at the same time keeps *untouched* the already bright areas
(above a certain predefined level).

Here is a sample:
(original image)
http://www.secarica.ro/temp/test_808_original.jpg
(shadow increase to 100%)
http://www.secarica.ro/temp/test_808_photoshop_express_shadow_100.jpg
For the above image, the processing time when saving is about 11
seconds (on a 1.2GHz quad core Windows phone).

The application's adjustment looks like this
http://www.secarica.ro/temp/wp_ss_20170407_0003.png

I tried in GIMP various filters, effects, scripts, curves, fake HDR
etc. but with either I played with, there was always a slight change
also in the bright portions of the image.

What adjustment can be used to obtain the exact same result by using
GIMP ?

Here is another sample:
(original image - filename nokia_lumia_1020_10.jpg on this page
http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/nokia_lumia_1020_photos/ )
(shadow increase to 100%)
http://www.secarica.ro/temp/test_1020_photoshop_express_shadow_100.jpg

Thank you,
Cristi

--
Cristian Secară
http://www.secărică.ro

Re: how to obtain the same adjustment in GIMP like this one in Photoshop Express

Pat David
If you're looking to isolate adjustments to a particular set of tones
(shadows, mids, highlights) then you might want to check out luminosity
masks:

https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Luminosity_Masks/
On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 6:26 PM Cristian Secară <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I played a bit with Adobe Photoshop Express in Windows phone and found
> a useful adjustment that increases the gain in deep shadow portions,
> while at the same time keeps *untouched* the already bright areas
> (above a certain predefined level).
>
> Here is a sample:
> (original image)
> http://www.secarica.ro/temp/test_808_original.jpg
> (shadow increase to 100%)
> http://www.secarica.ro/temp/test_808_photoshop_express_shadow_100.jpg
> For the above image, the processing time when saving is about 11
> seconds (on a 1.2GHz quad core Windows phone).
>
> The application's adjustment looks like this
> http://www.secarica.ro/temp/wp_ss_20170407_0003.png
>
> I tried in GIMP various filters, effects, scripts, curves, fake HDR
> etc. but with either I played with, there was always a slight change
> also in the bright portions of the image.
>
> What adjustment can be used to obtain the exact same result by using
> GIMP ?
>
> Here is another sample:
> (original image - filename nokia_lumia_1020_10.jpg on this page
> http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/nokia_lumia_1020_photos/ )
> (shadow increase to 100%)
> http://www.secarica.ro/temp/test_1020_photoshop_express_shadow_100.jpg
>
> Thank you,
> Cristi
>
> --
> Cristian Secară
> http://www.secărică.ro <http://www.xn--secric-k0ad.ro>

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC