how to change image resolution without effecting scale within the image itself using gimp as in retaining the roundness of the moon

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

how to change image resolution without effecting scale within the image itself using gimp as in retaining the roundness of the moon

rich2005
I have an image I downloaded from the Internet that has an image size of 1024 x
768. I would like to use this image as a desktop background at a resolution of
1920 x 1080.

This is a Halloween image, and has a moon within the image. When scaling the
image from 1024 x 768 to 1920 x 1080, the moon becomes stretched and no longer
appears circular.

Is there a way to increase the image size and alter the resolution without
effecting the image content scale (the moon retaining a perfect circular shape)?

--
fenpeppertree (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: how to change image resolution without effecting scale within the image itself using gimp as in retaining the roundness of the moon

Guy Stalnaker
​I​
f you scale your original 200%, you'll end up with a 2048x1536 image.
​Use the crop tool and manually enter a crop box of 1920x1020. Move the
crop around to get the best view. You can see that you'll loose a bit of
vertical image (1436 less 1080), but almost all of the horizontal image
(2048 less 1920). Alternatively, set the scale height to exactly 1920 and
you just have to move the crop box up or down to the best "view" before you
crop it.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards.


Guy Stalnaker
[hidden email]

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 3:03 PM, fenpeppertree <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have an image I downloaded from the Internet that has an image size of
> 1024 x
> 768. I would like to use this image as a desktop background at a
> resolution of
> 1920 x 1080.
>
> This is a Halloween image, and has a moon within the image. When scaling
> the
> image from 1024 x 768 to 1920 x 1080, the moon becomes stretched and no
> longer
> appears circular.
>
> Is there a way to increase the image size and alter the resolution without
> effecting the image content scale (the moon retaining a perfect circular
> shape)?
>
> --
> fenpeppertree (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
>
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: how to change image resolution without effecting scale within the image itself using gimp as in retaining the roundness of the moon

Steve Kinney
In reply to this post by rich2005


On 03/24/2017 04:03 PM, fenpeppertree wrote:

> I have an image I downloaded from the Internet that has an image size of 1024 x
> 768. I would like to use this image as a desktop background at a resolution of
> 1920 x 1080.
>
> This is a Halloween image, and has a moon within the image. When scaling the
> image from 1024 x 768 to 1920 x 1080, the moon becomes stretched and no longer
> appears circular.
>
> Is there a way to increase the image size and alter the resolution without
> effecting the image content scale (the moon retaining a perfect circular shape)?

Not if you are changing the proportions of the image as a whole:  The
moon will change to conform to the new aspect ratio.  But you can scale
the source image to your desired height or width, keeping the original
aspect ratio, then crop the image to the desired width or height.  Try
it both ways (scale the smaller image to 1920 width, and see if it can
be cropped to suit your purpose.

Another thing to try:  Use the Tool Options dialog to manually set
"Allow growing." Manually set the height and width of your crop
selection to the desired size, which will extend beyond the original
(1024 x 768) image boundary.  Then set Fixed Aspect ratio in the crop
tool dialog.  Now you can play with the crop area freely by clicking and
dragging the corners and edges, to make it fit around whatever parts of
the original image you want to keep.  Crop the image, and scale it up to
your target dimensions.

:o)


_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: how to change image resolution without effecting scale within the image itself using gimp as in retaining the roundness of the moon

Rick Strong-2
In reply to this post by rich2005
"Is there a way to increase the image size and alter the resolution without
effecting the image content scale (the moon retaining a perfect circular
shape)?"

Yes. Make sure the chain icons show the chains as LINKED. The linking is
hard to see. That will preserve the aspect ratio (height to width).

Rick S.

-----Original Message-----
From: fenpeppertree
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2017 4:03 PM
To: [hidden email]
Cc: [hidden email]
Subject: [Gimp-user] how to change image resolution without effecting scale
within the image itself using gimp as in retaining the roundness of the moon
etc.

_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

how to change image resolution without effecting scale within the image itself using gimp as in retaining the roundness of the moon

rich2005
In reply to this post by Steve Kinney
>Not if you are changing the proportions of the image as a whole:  The
>moon will change to conform to the new aspect ratio.  But you can
>scale
>the source image to your desired height or width, keeping the original
>aspect ratio, then crop the image to the desired width or height.  Try
>it both ways (scale the smaller image to 1920 width, and see if it can
>be cropped to suit your purpose.
>
>Another thing to try:  Use the Tool Options dialog to manually set
>"Allow growing." Manually set the height and width of your crop
>selection to the desired size, which will extend beyond the original
>(1024 x 768) image boundary.  Then set Fixed Aspect ratio in the crop
>tool dialog.  Now you can play with the crop area freely by clicking
>and
>dragging the corners and edges, to make it fit around whatever parts
>of
>the original image you want to keep.  Crop the image, and scale it up
>to
>your target dimensions.
>
>:o)



Thanks to all for the input, but since there was like 'zero' negative space for
the image, cropping of any sort didn't really work.

What I ended up doing was selecting the moon with the 'elliptical' tool (from
the new 1920 x 1080 image) then copying and pasting it into a 'new' file. From
here I created a circular moon to my liking. I then copied and pasted it over
top of the existing 'ovalish' moon in my 1920 x 1080 image. With some cloning of
the surrounding areas to get rid of the 'oval' moon remnants, I completed the
image. It is now a 1920 x 1080 image with a circular moon, and ready for a my
desktop as a wallpaper.

It works, I guess. I'm sure the other parts of the image are stretched also, but
I can live with those, I guess.

Seems like there should be a way to do this, what seems to be a somewhat simple
task.
I've heard of .svg (scaleable vector graphics) files that supposedly allow for
changing image size while keeping everything the same within the image, but I
have no experience with such files.

Here are my before and after images.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/525/original/HALLOWEEN_TRICK_OR_TREATERS____1920_x_1080__ALTERED_JUST_THE_MOON_SHAPE_.jpg

--
fenpeppertree (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

how to change image resolution without effecting scale within the image itself using gimp as in retaining the roundness of the moon

rich2005
>Thanks to all for the input, but since there was like 'zero' negative
>space for the image, cropping of any sort didn't really work.
>
>What I ended up doing was selecting the moon with the 'elliptical'
>tool (from the new 1920 x 1080 image) then copying and pasting it into
>a 'new' file. From here I created a circular moon to my liking. I then
>copied and pasted it over top of the existing 'ovalish' moon in my
>1920 x 1080 image. With some cloning of the surrounding areas to get
>rid of the 'oval' moon remnants, I completed the image. It is now a
>1920 x 1080 image with a circular moon, and ready for a my desktop as
>a wallpaper.
>
>It works, I guess. I'm sure the other parts of the image are stretched
>also, but I can live with those, I guess.
>
>Seems like there should be a way to do this, what seems to be a
>somewhat simple task.
>I've heard of .svg (scaleable vector graphics) files that supposedly
>allow for changing image size while keeping everything the same within
>the image, but I have no experience with such files.
>
>Here are my before and after images.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/526/original/HALLOWEEN_TRICK_OR_TREATERS____ORIGINAL__1024_X_768_).jpg

--
fenpeppertree (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

how to change image resolution without effecting scale within the image itself using gimp as in retaining the roundness of the moon

rich2005
I'm have a problem, I think, uploading more than one image. Is it possible to
upload more than one image?
I'm new to this forum, first post.

--
fenpeppertree (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

how to change image resolution without effecting scale within the image itself using gimp as in retaining the roundness of the moon

rich2005
>I'm having a problem, I think, uploading more than one image. Is it
>possible to upload more than one image?
>I'm new to this forum, first post.

--
fenpeppertree (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

how to change image resolution without effecting scale within the image itself using gimp as in retaining the roundness of the moon

rich2005
Here is the in-between image for the other two. The one with the 'ovalish' moon.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/527/original/HALLOWEEN_TRICK_OR_TREATERS___SCALED_TO_1920_x_1080_.jpg

--
fenpeppertree (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

how to change image resolution without effecting scale within the image itself using gimp as in retaining the roundness of the moon

rich2005
>Here is the in-between image for the other two. The one with the
>'ovalish' moon.

There are all sorts of ways to get a result from the original. In the eye of the
beholder comes into play as well.

I would do something like.

Scale original to 1920x1080. (1)

As another image scale original 1440x1080 Preserving proportions (2)

Stack the images (2) on top of (1) and add a layer (black) to (2)

Paint out with a fuzzy brush, depending on taste, the moon, flying witch, the 3
main figures, maybe some of the foreground. The intention is to keep original
proportions for those.

New from visible, and maybe a little sharpen.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/528/original/mask.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/529/original/halloween.jpg

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

how to change image resolution without effecting scale within the image itself using gimp as in retaining the roundness of the moon

rich2005
>There are all sorts of ways to get a result from the original. In the
>eye of the beholder comes into play as well.
>
>I would do something like.
>
>Scale original to 1920x1080. (1)
>
>As another image scale original 1440x1080 Preserving proportions (2)
>
>Stack the images (2) on top of (1) and add a layer (black) to (2)
>
>Paint out with a fuzzy brush, depending on taste, the moon, flying
>witch, the 3 main figures, maybe some of the foreground. The intention
>is to keep original proportions for those.
>
>New from visible, and maybe a little sharpen.


Sounds complicated for my very basic knowledge. I do not know how to 'stack' or
add a 'black layer' and the rest----paint out with a fuzzy brush or where to
access the sharpen dialogue.

I would really like to know how you got two images included with your post;
having a real problem understanding this forum's posting design. Most forums
have an edit button that allows for editing after the post, and the fact that I
cannot get more than one image included with my post is really irksome. Then
there is the captcha malarky at the end of it all; even more irksome.

--
fenpeppertree (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

how to change image resolution without effecting scale within the image itself using gimp as in retaining the roundness of the moon

rich2005
>Sounds complicated for my very basic knowledge. I do not know how to
>'stack' or add a 'black layer' and the rest----paint out with a fuzzy
>brush or where to access the sharpen dialogue.
>
>I would really like to know how you got two images included with your
>post; having a real problem understanding this forum's posting design.
>Most forums have an edit button that allows for editing after the
>post, and the fact that I cannot get more than one image included with
>my post is really irksome. Then there is the captcha malarky at the
>end of it all; even more irksome.

Yes, the mailing list format is terrible for a forum. You see the difference in
user names, Blue is using this forum. White is via a mailing list. Half the time
post are not seen by one side or the other. Then no posting etiquette, top
posting, no editing rules.

There was a typo that I was unable to correct, 'black layer' should have read
'black layer mask'. You will get to layer masks one day.

How to add more than one image.

Add a title

Choose the file

Click on Add attachment

repeat the process

See screenshot

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/530/original/stack.jpg

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: how to change image resolution without effecting scale within the image itself using gimp as in retaining the roundness of the moon

Michael Schumacher
On 03/26/2017 04:43 PM, rich2005 wrote:

> Yes, the mailing list format is terrible for a forum.

This is a mailing list.

A third party has decided to expose it as a forum.


--
Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

how to change image resolution without effecting scale within the image itself using gimp as in retaining the roundness of the moon

rich2005
>This is a mailing list.
>
>A third party has decided to expose it as a forum.

That is why I generally only reply to posts that are obviously from people who
signed up for the forum.

Made an exception for exalted member of Gimp community.

Perhaps it would be better if the mailing list completely blocked the redirect
(if possible) Failing that stop, mailing list participants replying to posts
made by forum members.

I gave up on mailing lists back in early 90's Waste of time once M$ came up with
Outlook and users gave up on properly formatted replies. I am sure you know this
one and it does not apply to you, but how many times do you see a 'thanks'
followed by a page of scrambled posts.
 -------------
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

A: Top-posting.

Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Loading...