glib-networking required on Windows

rich2005
I have recently started building GIMP on Windows as per the GIMP Windows hacking
page (with success until now) but have now fallen foul of the requirement for
glib-networking.

I have entered the following command in MSYS2:

pacman -S mingw32/mingw-w64-i686-glib-networking

The install seemed to be successful but the GIMP autogen fails, saying that
glib-networking is missing.

Can somebody tell me what else I need to do please?

--
programmer_ceds (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

glib-networking required on Windows

rich2005
By entering the following lines into mingw64 I can now get the gimp autogen to
work:

Richard@HomePC MINGW64 ~
$ pacman -S base-devel \
> mingw-w64-x86_64-glib-networking

Then press Enter to select all of the options.

This process automatically installs gnutls and nettle (referenced in Partha's
post)

The final line of the three listed above should be added to the relevant section
on the GIMP Windows hacking page.

>I have recently started building GIMP on Windows as per the GIMP
>Windows hacking page (with success until now) but have now fallen foul
>of the requirement for glib-networking.
>
>I have entered the following command in MSYS2:
>
>pacman -S mingw32/mingw-w64-i686-glib-networking
>
>The install seemed to be successful but the GIMP autogen fails, saying
>that glib-networking is missing.
>
>Can somebody tell me what else I need to do please?

--
programmer_ceds (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

glib-networking required on Windows

rich2005
Sorry, he above post didn't appear quite as intended. The three lines types into
mingw64 should look like:

Richard@HomePC MINGW64 ~
$ pacman -S base-devel \
> mingw-w64-x86_64-glib-networking

(lines typed manually now rather than cut and paste which seemed to upset the
formatting)

>By entering the following lines into mingw64 I can now get the gimp
>autogen to work:
>
>Richard@HomePC MINGW64 ~
>$ pacman -S base-devel \
>Then press Enter to select all of the options.
>
>This process automatically installs gnutls and nettle (referenced in
>Partha's post)
>
>The final line of the three listed above should be added to the
>relevant section on the GIMP Windows hacking page.

--
programmer_ceds (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

glib-networking required on Windows

rich2005
Still wrong - try again with quotes

"Richard@HomePC MINGW64 ~"
"$ pacman -S base-devel \"
"> mingw-w64-x86_64-glib-networking"

(If that doesn't work I give up but I'm sure that the intent can be seen!)

--
programmer_ceds (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: glib-networking required on Windows

Carol Spears-2
On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 1:39 PM, programmer_ceds <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have recently started building GIMP on Windows as per the GIMP Windows hacking
> page (with success until now) but have now fallen foul of the requirement for
> glib-networking.

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list/2017-May/msg00048.html

This thread in the developer list contains everything you need to know
and maybe more.

carol

glib-networking required on Windows

I thought that I had this sorted - at least GIMP built with glib-networking the
other day. Now the autogen for GIMP says that it can't find glib-networking and
I can't find a .dll for it.

Trying a different tack to that noted above I have downloaded
glib-networking-2.50-0 and extracted it.

I have then used the following commands which all seem to complete successfully:

./configure --without-ca-certificates --prefix=PREFIX --disable-static
make
make install

What else do I need to do to generate the required file for a Windows build of
GIMP please?

--
programmer_ceds (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

glib-networking required on Windows

rich2005
>I thought that I had this sorted - at least GIMP built with
>glib-networking the other day. Now the autogen for GIMP says that it
>can't find glib-networking and I can't find a .dll for it.
>
>Trying a different tack to that noted above I have downloaded
>glib-networking-2.50-0 and extracted it.
>
>I have then used the following commands which all seem to complete
>successfully:
>
>./configure --without-ca-certificates --prefix=PREFIX --disable-static
>make
>make install
>
>What else do I need to do to generate the required file for a Windows
>build of GIMP please?

(Formatting on this site caused the make to appear at the end of the configure
line - but it is correct in the quoted text!)

--
programmer_ceds (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

glib-networking required on Windows

rich2005
>(Formatting on this site caused the make to appear at the end of the
>configure line - but it is correct in the quoted text!)

What is it with this site? The text appeared correctly in the quoted section
when I was typing the last post but when it is displayed it is wrong. What do I
need to do to get the formatting that I wanted - after all it says plain text
only?

--
programmer_ceds (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: glib-networking required on Windows

Michael Schumacher

On 05/18/2017 08:12 PM, programmer_ceds wrote:
>> (Formatting on this site caused the make to appear at the end of the
>> configure line - but it is correct in the quoted text!)
>
> What is it with this site? The text appeared correctly in the quoted section
> when I was typing the last post but when it is displayed it is wrong. What do I
> need to do to get the formatting that I wanted - after all it says plain text
> only?

You could subscribe to the original mailing list and use a proper mail
client - the list is set up to allow for plain text only, to keep it
usable for all clients and devices.

glib-networking required on Windows

rich2005
Having looked at the GIMP developer mailing list archives I can't say I relish
having my email address exposed - I get enough spam as it is.

Perhaps I have led a sheltered existence but in over 40 years of earning a
living writing and designing software I have never come across an editor
(WYSIWYG or plain text) that autonomously removes line breaks.

I suppose that I will have to go back to an earlier set of sources or wait until
there is a compiled version that uses glib-networking available.

On 05/20/2017 05:15 PM, programmer_ceds wrote:

> Perhaps I have led a sheltered existence but in over 40 years of earning a
> living writing and designing software I have never come across an editor
> (WYSIWYG or plain text) that autonomously removes line breaks.

For what it is worth, everything you wrote seems to show up as intended
on the mailing list. This could means that the issue is display-only, or
at least that the mail gimpusers.com sends to the list is left intact.

> I suppose that I will have to go back to an earlier set of sources or wait until
> there is a compiled version that uses glib-networking available.

This is GIMP 2.8.22 - adding glib-networking was one of the points to
make this release.

BTW, this also seems to have given us transparent proxy support - i.e.
file access from locations where a proxy server is mandatory may now
just work. Can anyone confirm this?

glib-networking required on Windows

rich2005
Thanks for your reply - I hadn't realised that this change had been added to
V2.8 as well as 2.9.

I have found the answer to my problem. The make of glib-networking that I did
had worked but I had made two mistakes. Firstly I was looking for
glib-networking.dll rather than libgiognutls.dll. Secondly although I had tried
putting liggiognutls.dll into my prefix lib folder it actually has to go into
the prefix\lib\gio\modules folder.

At least autogen.sh now completes successfully. It might be clearer if the
autogen message referred to libgiognutls (in addition to glib-networking) then
at least I wouldn't have spent a while looking for the wrong file.

>For what it is worth, everything you wrote seems to show up as
>intended
>on the mailing list. This could means that the issue is display-only,
>or
>at least that the mail gimpusers.com sends to the list is left intact.
>This is GIMP 2.8.22 - adding glib-networking was one of the points to
>make this release.
>
>BTW, this also seems to have given us transparent proxy support - i.e.
>file access from locations where a proxy server is mandatory may now
>just work. Can anyone confirm this?

--
programmer_ceds (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: glib-networking required on Windows

Jehan Pagès

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Michael Schumacher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/20/2017 05:15 PM, programmer_ceds wrote:
>
>> Perhaps I have led a sheltered existence but in over 40 years of earning a
>> living writing and designing software I have never come across an editor
>> (WYSIWYG or plain text) that autonomously removes line breaks.
>
> For what it is worth, everything you wrote seems to show up as intended
> on the mailing list. This could means that the issue is display-only, or
> at least that the mail gimpusers.com sends to the list is left intact.
>
>> I suppose that I will have to go back to an earlier set of sources or wait until
>> there is a compiled version that uses glib-networking available.
>
> This is GIMP 2.8.22 - adding glib-networking was one of the points to
> make this release.
>
> BTW, this also seems to have given us transparent proxy support - i.e.
> file access from locations where a proxy server is mandatory may now
> just work. Can anyone confirm this?

Checking out the contents of the glib-networking RPM on Fedora for
instance, I see the following libs:

/usr/lib64/gio/modules/libgiognomeproxy.so
/usr/lib64/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so
/usr/lib64/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so

So there are indeed 2 additional GIO modules with the word "proxy" in
it. I would assume that it explains your guess.
This said, checking the prebuilt packages for Windows (both the Fedora
and OpenSUSE ones), I see only one DLL:

lib/gio/modules/libgiognutls.dll

Why aren't the other proxy-related modules not built there? Are they
based on technologies not available on Windows?
On which platform did you notice that transparent proxy support works?

Jehan

> --
> Regards,
> Michael
> GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net
Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot
Tipeee: https://www.tipeee.com/zemarmot