gegl

Richard-118
when will gegel be add into gimp?

Thanks-
Rick

Re: gegl

Olivier Ripoll
Richard Nagle wrote:
> when will gegel be add into gimp?
>
> Thanks-
> Rick

Hello Richard,

In the open source world, when someone ask for "when ?", the usual
answer is "when it's ready". It is very hard for the developers to give
you an estimation for such a question, since they do not control some
issues such as:
    - the time they will have to integrate gegl in the future
    - the number of people who will join the effort
    - the problems that will be discovered when merging gegl
Thus the typical "when it's ready". Everyone would like gegl to be
integrated as soon as possible. Gimp even received in the past some
money to do it. But the task is hard and there are other tasks to do
(bugs, interface improvements, new plugins, tiny-fu replacement, better
brushes, etc.).

I am not a developer. My answer is just to present you some reasons why
no one will commit on a date for gegl integration, even if everyone
thinks it is the biggest feature in gimp development since migration to
gtk2 (from the user perspective).

As a joke, I could also say: "gegl integration is planned to be done
when the Debian make their next stable release", but I think this would
be too early ;)

Best regards,

Olivier

Re: Re: gegl

Michael Schumacher
Von: Olivier Ripoll <[hidden email]>

> Richard Nagle wrote:
> > when will gegel be add into gimp?

> In the open source world, when someone ask for "when ?", the usual
> answer is "when it's ready".

> As a joke, I could also say: "gegl integration is planned to be done
> when the Debian make their next stable release", but I think this would
> be too early ;)

Another frequently given answer does apply here, too:

If you want to have it sooner, help to get it!

HTH,

+++ GMX - die erste Adresse f?r Mail, Message, More +++