from the shadows . . .

dep

from the shadows . . .

dep
greetings, everybody.

one of the things i've long hoped for, that photoshop has had and gimp
hadn't but now does in 2.10.x, is the highlight/shadow controls.

but i'm a bit puzzled by one aspect, and i'm hoping someone here can help
me sort what i'm getting wrong.

when i use the shadow control to bring detail out of the muck, past a
certain point it also adds blotchiness to areas such as the sky. should i
try to generally select the areas i want to de-shadow, or is there some
other control or setting that will help with this? the three sliders at
the bottom of the control, white point, radius, and compress, are not
particularly intuitive to me, but i'm guessing some relief might be found
there.

i suppose i could experiment, but i thought if the answer is known and
simple i needn't try to discover it.

thanks in advance.
--
dep

Some pictures:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album

Re: from the shadows . . .

Liam R. E. Quin
On Sat, 2019-06-29 at 16:19 +0000, dep wrote:
> when i use the shadow control to bring detail out of the muck, past
> a  certain point it also adds blotchiness to areas such as the sky.
Make sure your image is in 16 or 32-bit mode, under image->precision.

When i tried, i found i got blotchiness in some images, as if the
filter was running at a lower resolution and pixellated things.

It might be worth a bug report, as clearly we want the filter to be
useful :)

Or if you discover an answer, please let us know.

Liam (slave ankh)

Click here to have the slave rewarded with a cold noodle.

Re: from the shadows . . .

On Sat, 2019-06-29 at 16:19 +0000, dep wrote:
> when i use the shadow control to bring detail out of the muck, past
> a  certain point it also adds blotchiness to areas such as the sky.
Make sure your image is in 16 or 32-bit mode, under image->precision.

When i tried, i found i got blotchiness in some images, as if the
filter was running at a lower resolution and pixellated things.

It might be worth a bug report, as clearly we want the filter to be
useful :)

Or if you discover an answer, please let us know.

Liam (slave ankh)

Click here to have the slave rewarded with a warm noodle.

dep

Re: from the shadows . . .

dep
said Liam R E Quin:

| The bit depth is about the amount of information stored in each pixel -
| a JPEG image is limited to 8 bits per channel, so 24 bits in RGB, per
| pixel. You could work in 32bit floating point mode in GIMP, but when
| you exported the JPEG image it'd be exported as 8-bit. So yes, it's
| entirely to do with the particular image.

Right, yes. I was thinking more as to the importation of a jpeg,
improvement of it in GIMP, and exporting as a .png or suchlike, to
preserve the gradations introduced in GIMP. Which is to say that I'd like
to set a GIMP default to 32 bits while in GIMP, no matter the bit depth of
the original image. Does this make sense?

On Tue, 2019-07-02 at 15:40 +0000, dep wrote:
>  Which is to say that I'd
> like
> to set a GIMP default to 32 bits while in GIMP, no matter the bit
> depth of
> the original image. Does this make sense?

Yes, it'd be a good feature request. Please file an issue. Thanks!

Liam

--
Liam Quin, https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/
Web slave for vintage clipart https://www.fromoldbooks.org/

Re: from the shadows . . .

On 6/29/19 6:19 PM, dep wrote:

> greetings, everybody.
>
> one of the things i've long hoped for, that photoshop has had and gimp
> hadn't but now does in 2.10.x, is the highlight/shadow controls.
>
> but i'm a bit puzzled by one aspect, and i'm hoping someone here can help
> me sort what i'm getting wrong.
>
> when i use the shadow control to bring detail out of the muck, past a
> certain point it also adds blotchiness to areas such as the sky. should i
> try to generally select the areas i want to de-shadow, or is there some
> other control or setting that will help with this? the three sliders at
> the bottom of the control, white point, radius, and compress, are not
> particularly intuitive to me, but i'm guessing some relief might be found
> there.
>
> i suppose i could experiment, but i thought if the answer is known and
> simple i needn't try to discover it.
>
> thanks in advance.

The answer is luminosity masks:
https://patdavid.net/2013/11/getting-around-in-gimp-luminosity-masks.html

Basically, you make selections where the selection amount on a given
pixel is proportional to the closeness of the pixel's luminosity to the
range of luminosity you want to process.

dep

Re: from the shadows . . .

dep
said Liam R E Quin:
| On Tue, 2019-07-02 at 15:40 +0000, dep wrote:
| >  Which is to say that I'd
| > like
| > to set a GIMP default to 32 bits while in GIMP, no matter the bit
| > depth of
| > the original image. Does this make sense?
|
| Yes, it'd be a good feature request. Please file an issue. Thanks!

Forgive me, but I'm not at all certain where and how best to do this.
--
dep

Some pictures:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album

dep

Re: from the shadows . . .

dep
said Ofnuts:

| The answer is luminosity masks:
| https://patdavid.net/2013/11/getting-around-in-gimp-luminosity-masks.htm
|
| Basically, you make selections where the selection amount on a given
| pixel is proportional to the closeness of the pixel's luminosity to the
| range of luminosity you want to process.

I know that that is *an* answer but I very much hope that it is not *the*
answer.
--
dep

Some pictures:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album

Re: from the shadows . . .

In case anybody ELSE had a problem bringing up the website from thelink provided below, note that a typo divorced the final 'l' from .html.
Here is the corrected link...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------said Ofnuts:

| The answer is luminosity masks:
https://patdavid.net/2013/11/getting-around-in-gimp-luminosity-masks.htm

| Basically, you make selections where the selection amount on a given
| pixel is proportional to the closeness of the pixel's luminosity to the
| range of luminosity you want to process.

I know that that is *an* answer but I very much hope that it is not *the*
answer.
--
dep

Some pictures:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album

Re: from the shadows . . .

Ofnuts-2
In the copy of my post I got from the list mailer the URL is not cut, so
things happened on your end. Hence not a typo but likely your mail reader.

Cut on the 72th column, anyone still doing Fortran?