_free_ fonts

Gezim Hoxha
Hi list,

I'm getting a little frustrated with fonts. Almost all of the authors
(of nice fonts) either don't want you to use them for commercial
purposes, want you to email the them _before_ you use it to get
permission, want you to pay, or simply you don't know what the hell the
author wants.

So, my question is is there some fonts that I could get that are for
_free_, meaning you don't have to pay anything, but also you can do what
the heck you wish with it as well. Am I just dreaming or what?

Thanks alot,
-Gezim

Re: _free_ fonts

Karine Delvare

http://www.1001freefonts.com/ is one of the places to find freeware/shareware fonts. Most of them don't come with any licence/readme/whatever.

--
Karine Delvare
http://edhel.nerim.net/

Re: _free_ fonts

Michael Schumacher
Karine Delvare wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 05:07:58 -0600
> Gezim Hoxha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>So, my question is is there some fonts that I could get that are for
>>_free_, meaning you don't have to pay anything, but also you can do what
>>the heck you wish with it as well. Am I just dreaming or what?
>
> http://www.1001freefonts.com/ is one of the places to find
> freeware/shareware fonts. Most of them don't come with any
> licence/readme/whatever.

If they don't come with any license, copyright law applies.

HTH,

The GIMP > http://www.gimp.org      | IRC: irc://irc.gimp.org/gimp
    Wiki > http://wiki.gimp.org     | .de: http://gimpforum.de
Plug-ins > http://registry.gimp.org |

Re: _free_ fonts

Gezim Hoxha
On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 14:26 +0200, Michael Schumacher wrote:
> Karine Delvare wrote:
>
> > http://www.1001freefonts.com/ is one of the places to find
> > freeware/shareware fonts. Most of them don't come with any
> > licence/readme/whatever.
>
> If they don't come with any license, copyright law applies.

But does this mean I can use them at will for whatever use I want? Just
because they don't have a readme file?

-Gezim

Re: _free_ fonts

Carol Spears
On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 02:15:04PM -0600, Gezim Hoxha wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 14:26 +0200, Michael Schumacher wrote:
> > Karine Delvare wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.1001freefonts.com/ is one of the places to find
> > > freeware/shareware fonts. Most of them don't come with any
> > > licence/readme/whatever.
> >
> > If they don't come with any license, copyright law applies.
>
> But does this mean I can use them at will for whatever use I want? Just
> because they don't have a readme file?

what does the copyright say?

carol

Re: _free_ fonts

Sara Schein
On 4/30/05, Gezim Hoxha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I'm getting a little frustrated with fonts. Almost all of the authors
> (of nice fonts) either don't want you to use them for commercial
> purposes, want you to email the them _before_ you use it to get
> permission, want you to pay, or simply you don't know what the hell the
> author wants.
>
> So, my question is is there some fonts that I could get that are for
> _free_, meaning you don't have to pay anything, but also you can do what
> the heck you wish with it as well. Am I just dreaming or what?
>
> Thanks alot,
> -Gezim

I love fonts.  There are plenty of 'postcardware' type fonts where you
have to send a simple postcard or something to the author.  If you
like a font enough, I don't see a problem doing that.

http://www.robotjohnny.com/fonts/  >> Asks you send a 'toy' to his
addy.  I think that's funny.

Though here's the only site I've found where all are definately free
for commercial use.  Otherwise, I think you just have to search
through the licenses.
http://www.larabiefonts.com/fonts.html

--
Sara C. Schein

Re: _free_ fonts

Gezim Hoxha
On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 18:23 -0400, Sara Schein wrote:

> http://www.robotjohnny.com/fonts/  >> Asks you send a 'toy' to his
> addy.  I think that's funny.
>
> Though here's the only site I've found where all are definately free
> for commercial use.  Otherwise, I think you just have to search
> through the licenses.
> http://www.larabiefonts.com/fonts.html

That's awesome. Thanks alot.

-Gezim