finding and replacing all variants of one colour

finding and replacing all variants of one colour

rich2005
Virtual external house painters allow you to paint an image from a set of colour
swatches.  The best ones that I have seen seem to be able to replace the colour
while keeping the details and the variations in image colour due to differences
of light and shade.

I would like to be able to do something similar in Gimp. Starting from a base
colour point, select estimate colour variations based in differences in incident
light, and collect select this set of colours.  Then replace those colours with
a new base colour, applying the same incident light variations to the new
colour.

Do you have any suggestions for a basis in existing tools for achieving this?

--
pbw (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: finding and replacing all variants of one colour

Pat David
Would something like this help?

https://patdavid.net/2010/09/quick-and-easy-visualization-of-paint.html
On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 7:49 AM pbw <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Virtual external house painters allow you to paint an image from a set of
> colour
> swatches.  The best ones that I have seen seem to be able to replace the
> colour
> while keeping the details and the variations in image colour due to
> differences
> of light and shade.
>
> I would like to be able to do something similar in Gimp. Starting from a
> base
> colour point, select estimate colour variations based in differences in
> incident
> light, and collect select this set of colours.  Then replace those colours
> with
> a new base colour, applying the same incident light variations to the new
> colour.
>
> Do you have any suggestions for a basis in existing tools for achieving
> this?
>
> --
> pbw (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC

Re: finding and replacing all variants of one colour

Pat David
Would something like this help?

https://patdavid.net/2010/09/quick-and-easy-visualization-of-paint.html
On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 7:49 AM pbw <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Virtual external house painters allow you to paint an image from a set of
> colour
> swatches.  The best ones that I have seen seem to be able to replace the
> colour
> while keeping the details and the variations in image colour due to
> differences
> of light and shade.
>
> I would like to be able to do something similar in Gimp. Starting from a
> base
> colour point, select estimate colour variations based in differences in
> incident
> light, and collect select this set of colours.  Then replace those colours
> with
> a new base colour, applying the same incident light variations to the new
> colour.
>
> Do you have any suggestions for a basis in existing tools for achieving
> this?
>
> --
> pbw (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC

finding and replacing all variants of one colour

rich2005
>Would something like this help?
>
>https://patdavid.net/2010/09/quick-and-easy-visualization-of-paint.html

Yes, that is helpful, thank you Pat. The hint about desaturating is one of those
things that are obvious once someone points them out to you.

There's a great site called Encycolorpedia that has the colour values for a wide
range of commercial paints.  Working from that I can try particular tints.

--
pbw (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)