feature request: forget about the goat (somewhat translation related)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

feature request: forget about the goat (somewhat translation related)

Cristian Secară-2
Is it possible to change the goat menu item & tooltip to something more valuable ?

Right now it makes no sense when translating in any language, except if leaving the goat untranslated and put the whole story / pun explanation [1] in the tooltip, which doesn't make much sense either.

Including for GIMP 2.10.x...

Thank you,
Cristi

[1] http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16635

--
Cristian Secară
https://www.secarica.ro
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: feature request: forget about the goat (somewhat translation related)

Developers mailing list
Hi,

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 10:44 PM Cristian Secară <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it possible to change the goat menu item & tooltip to something more
> valuable ?
>

On the master code (future GIMP 3), I made quite some change to the Goat
exercise.

First of all, there are now several goat exercises, one for each binding
which we tested, i.e. so far a C one, a Python, Javascript, Lua and
probably soon a Vala one. Also they are in a menu section called
"Development".

And most importantly, when they run, they don't directly run a GEGL
operation, they first open a dialog with a header label explaining that the
plug-in is a demo demonstrating how to make plug-ins. Under the header
text, there is a text box displaying their own code, and at the top there
are 3 bouttons: Cancel, Source and OK. "OK" runs the filter operation and
"Source" sends to the last version of the plug-in source online (in the
repository).

Basically in the future, this plug-in will be a looot more interesting,
self-explanatory and better labelled.

Right now it makes no sense when translating in any language, except if
> leaving the goat untranslated and put the whole story / pun explanation [1]
> in the tooltip, which doesn't make much sense either.
>

Are you asking this as one of the translators of GIMP?

Including for GIMP 2.10.x...
>

Now I agree that the plug-in is not self-explanatory enough in GIMP 2.10.x
and I understand that people will wonder what this filter is exactly.
Personally I know I don't really want to spend much more time in the
gimp-2-10 series. This is passed, it has been like this for 2 years
already, nobody ever complains of it (and if they don't get it, a simple
web search or asking on a forum like in your link and they can get their
answer), so I think my time much better used to make it better for the
future GIMP 3.

Yet if anyone were to propose some patch to goat invasion, possibly to make
it work the same on GIMP 2.10.x as it does now on master (it's not just a
simple cherry-pick as we changed the API, but it should not be too hard
anyway), I would gladly accept the patch.

Jehan


> Thank you,
> Cristi
>
> [1] http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16635
>
> --
> Cristian Secară
> https://www.secarica.ro
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-developer-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership:
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
>


--
ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net
Liberapay: https://liberapay.com/ZeMarmot/
Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot
Tipeee: https://www.tipeee.com/zemarmot
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: feature request: forget about the goat (somewhat translation related)

Cristian Secară-2
În data de Fri, 22 May 2020 01:51:43 +0200, Jehan Pagès a scris:

> [...]
> Basically in the future, this plug-in will be a looot more
> interesting, self-explanatory and better labelled.

Hopefully ...

> [...]
> Are you asking this as one of the translators of GIMP?

Yes (for Romanian)

> Now I agree that the plug-in is not self-explanatory enough in GIMP
> 2.10.x and I understand that people will wonder what this filter is
> exactly. [...] This is passed, it has been like this
> for 2 years already, nobody ever complains of it (and if they don't
> get it, a simple web search or asking on a forum like in your link
> and they can get their answer), [...]

What relevant answer can one get by searching (without quotes) "gimp promener une chèvre" ? Or "gimp esercizio per capre" ? Or "gimp Потренировать козу" ? Or "gimp ejercitar una cabra" ? And so on. At most they will only find references to the corresponding msgstr source code for their language.

> Yet if anyone were to propose some patch to goat invasion, possibly
> to make it work the same on GIMP 2.10.x as it does now on master
> (it's not just a simple cherry-pick as we changed the API, but it
> should not be too hard anyway), I would gladly accept the patch.

Not sure I understand what you mean, but I only complained about the name (menu name and its tooltip), not what it actually do (by the way, I don't know what this plug-in actually does, except that it's something about a work out in conjunction with a goat, but still I didn't understand if the work out (the exercise) is done by the owner of the goat, or by the goat itself :)

Cristi

--
Cristian Secară
https://www.secarica.ro
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: feature request: forget about the goat (somewhat translation related)

Developers mailing list
Hi!

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 6:43 PM Cristian Secară <[hidden email]> wrote:

> În data de Fri, 22 May 2020 01:51:43 +0200, Jehan Pagès a scris:
>
> > [...]
> > Basically in the future, this plug-in will be a looot more
> > interesting, self-explanatory and better labelled.
>
> Hopefully ...
>
> > [...]
> > Are you asking this as one of the translators of GIMP?
>
> Yes (for Romanian)
>
> > Now I agree that the plug-in is not self-explanatory enough in GIMP
> > 2.10.x and I understand that people will wonder what this filter is
> > exactly. [...] This is passed, it has been like this
> > for 2 years already, nobody ever complains of it (and if they don't
> > get it, a simple web search or asking on a forum like in your link
> > and they can get their answer), [...]
>
> What relevant answer can one get by searching (without quotes) "gimp
> promener une chèvre" ? Or "gimp esercizio per capre" ? Or "gimp
> Потренировать козу" ? Or "gimp ejercitar una cabra" ? And so on. At most
> they will only find references to the corresponding msgstr source code for
> their language.
>

Yes, as you say, it's a joke with the GEGL mascot being a goat. The name is
indeed not very relevant. This plug-in being now in a "development > Goat
exercises" subsection and the new dialog clearly saying that it is a
demo/exercise plug-in for plug-in developer is the relevant part. In the
future version, there should not be any ambiguosity anymore of what these
are, even with the funny name.

Now it's not saying that you are still right that the ambiguosity
definitely remains on GIMP 2.10.x, but then it's only about time management
(and the limits of this time), and this is the only reason why I won't even
look at it in GIMP 2.10, but also why I would still accept patches if
someones wishes to do so.


> > Yet if anyone were to propose some patch to goat invasion, possibly
> > to make it work the same on GIMP 2.10.x as it does now on master
> > (it's not just a simple cherry-pick as we changed the API, but it
> > should not be too hard anyway), I would gladly accept the patch.
>
> Not sure I understand what you mean, but I only complained about the name
> (menu name and its tooltip), not what it actually do (by the way, I don't
> know what this plug-in actually does, except that it's something about a
> work out in conjunction with a goat, but still I didn't understand if the
> work out (the exercise) is done by the owner of the goat, or by the goat
> itself :)
>

Ahah well, I guess both the goat and its friend (rather than owner!) are
doing the workout! ;-)

Joke aside, if I recall, it's just a color invert effect. Not much interest
other than showing how to make plug-ins and how to call GEGL operations
from GIMP plug-in code.

Jehan



> Cristi
>
> --
> Cristian Secară
> https://www.secarica.ro
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-developer-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership:
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list
>


--
ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net
Liberapay: https://liberapay.com/ZeMarmot/
Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot
Tipeee: https://www.tipeee.com/zemarmot
_______________________________________________
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list