emerge --emptytree : how to ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

emerge --emptytree : how to ?

Helmut Jarausch
Hi,
I'm considering buying a new monitor (and graphics card) which supports
10 bits per color channel.
Will Gimp on a Linux machine (X11) support this now or in the near future.
Or is it just waste of money to buy a monitor with more than 8 bits/color channel?
Many thanks for some hints,
Helmut
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: emerge --emptytree : how to ?

Michael Schumacher
The subject for this message is terribly misleading....
--
Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Is a high bit depth monitor worth getting? (was Re: emerge --emptytree : how to ?)

Kevin Cozens-2
In reply to this post by Helmut Jarausch
On 2017-10-20 12:01 PM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> I'm considering buying a new monitor (and graphics card) which supports
> 10 bits per color channel.
> Will Gimp on a Linux machine (X11) support this now or in the near future.
> Or is it just waste of money to buy a monitor with more than 8 bits/color channel?

GIMP is moving towards higher colour depth. Would a high bit depth monitor
be worth it? That would depend on your use case(s). Is GIMP the only program
you would run that would benefit from a high bit depth monitor? Do you run
other programs that would benefit from such a monitor? Will your computers
graphical environment (aka. desktop) support full use of a high bit depth
monitor?

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is a high bit depth monitor worth getting? (was Re: emerge --emptytree : how to ?)

Liam R E Quin
On Fri, 2017-10-20 at 12:30 -0400, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> On 2017-10-20 12:01 PM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> > I'm considering buying a new monitor (and graphics card) which
> > supports
> > 10 bits per color channel.
> > Will Gimp on a Linux machine (X11) support this now or in the near
> > future.
> > Or is it just waste of money to buy a monitor with more than 8
> > bits/color channel?

I have a monitor with a wide gamut, which is awesome. And i also have
one that does 10 bit colour. Last time i tried running X11 in 10bpc
instead of 8bpc i found that too much broke outside gimp's image window
- including the gimp toolbox and docks and all window decorations (for
all windows, not just gimp), as something (libgtk and the desktop
compositor both i think) was still trying to use 8 bits for
transparency when 10 bits means a 32 bit word is (10R, 10G, 10B, 2
alpha). But it worked fine in Windows, and my guess is that if it
doesn't work already it'll work in the gtk3 version of gimp planned
some times after gimp 2.10.

i could repeat the experiment maybe in the next few days if it'd be of
use.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Staff contact for Verifiable Claims WG, SVG WG, XQuery WG

Web slave for http://www.fromoldbooks.org/
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is a high bit depth monitor worth getting? (was Re: emerge --emptytree : how to ?)

Elle Stone
In reply to this post by Kevin Cozens-2
On 10/20/2017 12:30 PM, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> GIMP is moving towards higher colour depth. Would a high bit depth
> monitor be worth it? That would depend on your use case(s). Is GIMP the
> only program you would run that would benefit from a high bit depth
> monitor? Do you run other programs that would benefit from such a
> monitor? Will your computers graphical environment (aka. desktop)
> support full use of a high bit depth monitor?

GIMP 2.9/2.10 does process images at 32-bit floating point. But at this
point the GIMP code that sends the image to the screen for display works
at 8-bit integer, using "CAIRO_FORMAT_ARGB32".

Cairo does provide "CAIRO_FORMAT_RGB30  -> like RGB24 but with 10bpc.
(Since 1.12)".

Which if any editing programs use CAIRO_FORMAT_RGB30? How would it
impact performance if GIMP started using CAIRO_FORMAT_RGB30?

There's an open darktable issue on the topic:
https://redmine.darktable.org/issues/10197

Over on the ArgyllCMS mailing list is a nice discussion of 30-bit
displays, distinguishing between calibration and profiling:
https://www.freelists.org/post/argyllcms/Argyll-and-30bit-colors,3

Not every free/libre image editor uses cairo to send images to the
screen. Can Krita make use of 10-bit monitor displays, using whatever it
is that qt apps use?

Will cairo still be used if/once Linux switches over to Wayland?

Elle
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list