display portion of 360 image

rich404
I got a 360 image but I want to display a portion of it as a standard image. Is
there a way to do that with GIMP?

--
bmike1 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: display portion of 360 image

Øyvind Kolås-2
On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 7:04 PM bmike1 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I got a 360 image but I want to display a portion of it as a standard image. Is
> there a way to do that with GIMP?

Use GEGLs panorama-projection operation, which you can find under
<image>/Filters/Map/Panorama Projection. You can also do this -
followed by its inverse on a duplicate of the panorama for doing touch
ups of ground/sky or other parts of the panoarama.

/pippin

On Sat, Nov 03, 2018 at 07:53:07PM +0100, bmike1 wrote:
> I got a 360 image but I want to display a portion of it as a standard image. Is
> there a way to do that with GIMP?

I'm not sure that I understand your question, but I think you have a
360-degree image (from a camera that rotates on a tripod).  If that
is true, just copy the image and crop as desired.

Alternatively, perhaps you have a picture from something like a
fisheye lens - for those, you _might_ be able to reduce the visual
distortion using negative values in the lens distortion filter.

ĸen
--
                        Is it about a bicycle ?

display portion of 360 image

>Use GEGLs panorama-projection operation, which you can find under
><image>/Filters/Map/Panorama Projection. You can also do this -
>followed by its inverse on a duplicate of the panorama for doing touch
>ups of ground/sky or other parts of the panoarama.
>
>/pippin

Thank you so much. I tried ducking (duckduckgo) how to install it but have been
unable to find a solution. can you direct me? my os is linux mint.

--
bmike1 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

display portion of 360 image

rich404
>Thank you so much. I tried ducking (duckduckgo) how to install it but
>have been unable to find a solution. can you direct me? my os is linux
>mint.
I meant how to install GEGLs panorama-projection operation

--
bmike1 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

display portion of 360 image

rich404
>I meant how to install GEGLs panorama-projection operation

That is what happens when you give just the minimum of information.

If using Gimp 2.8 then look in Tools -> GEGL Operation, long drop down menu to
scroll through.

If using Gimp 2.10 then look in Filters -> Map -> Panorama Projection.

It would really help if you gave details of the image.

rich: www.gimpforum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1045/original/GEGL.jpg

display portion of 360 image

rich404
>That is what happens when you give just the minimum of information.
>
>If using Gimp 2.8 then look in Tools -> GEGL Operation, long drop down
>menu to scroll through.
>
>If using Gimp 2.10 then look in Filters -> Map -> Panorama Projection.
>
>It would really help if you gave details of the image.
>
>rich: www.gimpforum.net
Thank you for that. yes I am still using 2.8 and probably will until the update
manager upgrades it. In any casewhich of the menu options should I select?

--
bmike1 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

display portion of 360 image

rich404
>Thank you for that. yes I am still using 2.8 and probably will until
>the update manager upgrades it. In any casewhich of the menu options
>should I select?

As before, in Gimp 2.8 the filter is in the drop down list when using the menu
Tools -> GEGL operation.

Not a filter I ever use. The specs say it is for 360 x 180 projections. I had to
pull one of those from google. That shown in the inset.

Looks like this in Gimp 2.8 https://i.imgur.com/YZ60y6z.jpg

display portion of 360 image

rich404
>As before, in Gimp 2.8 the filter is in the drop down list when using
>the menu Tools -> GEGL operation.
>
>Not a filter I ever use. The specs say it is for 360 x 180
>projections. I had to pull one of those from google. That shown in the
>inset.
>
>Looks like this in Gimp 2.8 https://i.imgur.com/YZ60y6z.jpg
thank you for uploading the picture. I wasn't sure As to which filter but it was
in the pic!

--
bmike1 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

display portion of 360 image

rich404
>thank you for uploading the picture. I wasn't sure As to which filter
>but it was in the pic!
Bummer! Looks like I need more ram.

--
bmike1 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

display portion of 360 image

>As before, in Gimp 2.8 the filter is in the drop down list when using
>the menu Tools -> GEGL operation.
>
>Not a filter I ever use. The specs say it is for 360 x 180
>projections. I had to pull one of those from google. That shown in the
>inset.
>
>Looks like this in Gimp 2.8 https://i.imgur.com/YZ60y6z.jpg
I do not know how to express my gratitude in showing me this other than my
simple thank you.

--
bmike1 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)