different Vignette parameters 2.8 vs 2.10

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

different Vignette parameters 2.8 vs 2.10

Users mailing list
Dear All,

 

I am new to this list.

 

I have a question about the Vignette filter.

 

In 2.8 onder Tools, GECL tools, I often used Vignette. Mostly with a
Radiance of 1.6 or 1.7, a Softness of .8 and Gamma 1,2 or 3. I have the
habit of recording the non-default values in the new layer and/or in the
name of the exported jpg. In that way I can always trace back the steps from
the original image, and recreate a desired effect with the same parameter
values in another situation.

 

Now I am over to GIMP 2.10 and I find that the Vignette option under Filters
does not work in the same way! The same values of the parameters have a
different outcome. That is very annoying.  Now I have to remember for all my
images with which version of GIMP they were made.

 

In fact, even worse, the new Vignette filter is much less usable for me. The
maximum value of Softness is 1 and it still creates a rather sharp border to
the darker vignette area's in the corners. I prefer a much softer transition
from the center of the image to the made darker corners of the image. I
prefer a very mild vignette effect, which is even not noticeable for the
untrained eye, but which still gives a focus on the center of the image and
a little more dynamic in the light.

 

Question: is there a way to have in 2.10 the same Vignette result, with the
same parameter values, as in 2.8 ?

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 

Kind regards,

 

Henk

_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: different Vignette parameters 2.8 vs 2.10

Steve Kinney


On 11/29/18 5:48 PM, Henk Koning via gimp-user-list wrote:
> Dear All,
>
>  
>
> I am new to this list.

Welcome aboard!

> Question: is there a way to have in 2.10 the same Vignette result, with the
> same parameter values, as in 2.8 ?

I never realized there was a vignette tool - I had to dig for it to
check it out.  I have always created vignette effects 'by hand.'  So I
don't have an answer to your question, but here's an alternative method
that may be useful:

https://gimpguru.wordpress.com/Tutorials/Vignetting/

This method creates a new layer that selectively darkens the visible
layers below it except in the highlighted region. Changing the layer's
opacity changes the strength of the result; I typically over-do the
effect a little on purpose, then dial down the vignette layer's opacity
until the image looks right.

To decrease the sharpness, contrast and/or saturation of the area your
vignette darkens, apply these changes to the same layer created per the
above instructions.

:o)






_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: different Vignette parameters 2.8 vs 2.10

Users mailing list
Thank you, Steve, for taking the time to react. Creating a vignette 'by
hand' is always an option, of course, but that does not answer my question.

I would appreciate an answer to my question. Anybody?

Henk

-----Original Message-----
From: gimp-user-list <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of Steve
Kinney
Sent: zondag 2 december 2018 18:49
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] different Vignette parameters 2.8 vs 2.10



On 11/29/18 5:48 PM, Henk Koning via gimp-user-list wrote:
> Dear All,
>
>  
>
> I am new to this list.

Welcome aboard!

> Question: is there a way to have in 2.10 the same Vignette result,
> with the same parameter values, as in 2.8 ?

I never realized there was a vignette tool - I had to dig for it to check it
out.  I have always created vignette effects 'by hand.'  So I don't have an
answer to your question, but here's an alternative method that may be
useful:

https://gimpguru.wordpress.com/Tutorials/Vignetting/

This method creates a new layer that selectively darkens the visible layers
below it except in the highlighted region. Changing the layer's opacity
changes the strength of the result; I typically over-do the effect a little
on purpose, then dial down the vignette layer's opacity until the image
looks right.

To decrease the sharpness, contrast and/or saturation of the area your
vignette darkens, apply these changes to the same layer created per the
above instructions.

:o)






_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: different Vignette parameters 2.8 vs 2.10

Users mailing list
i too don't understand how the same function in two versions of a program
would be different. there are things about programming i don't understand
(how to do it) and when a program works and the developers try to make it
better, somehow they succeed in making it worse. but to the question, the
functions in the two versions, you would think, would be the same.

my suggestion to you is to join the developers mailing list and pose your
question to them. they may not even be aware of the change in
functionality. or maybe, there is something you are not aware to do (like
when you make a selection, to press the "enter" key to "save" the selection
so you can continue to do what you could do in 2.8) to make the function
operate like it did in 2.8. yet, they may have an answer for you rather
than a workaround to your problem.

cheers

dwain

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 12:55 PM Henk Koning via gimp-user-list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you, Steve, for taking the time to react. Creating a vignette 'by
> hand' is always an option, of course, but that does not answer my question.
>
> I would appreciate an answer to my question. Anybody?
>
> Henk
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: gimp-user-list <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of Steve
> Kinney
> Sent: zondag 2 december 2018 18:49
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] different Vignette parameters 2.8 vs 2.10
>
>
>
> On 11/29/18 5:48 PM, Henk Koning via gimp-user-list wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> >
> >
> > I am new to this list.
>
> Welcome aboard!
>
> > Question: is there a way to have in 2.10 the same Vignette result,
> > with the same parameter values, as in 2.8 ?
>
> I never realized there was a vignette tool - I had to dig for it to check
> it
> out.  I have always created vignette effects 'by hand.'  So I don't have an
> answer to your question, but here's an alternative method that may be
> useful:
>
> https://gimpguru.wordpress.com/Tutorials/Vignetting/
>
> This method creates a new layer that selectively darkens the visible layers
> below it except in the highlighted region. Changing the layer's opacity
> changes the strength of the result; I typically over-do the effect a little
> on purpose, then dial down the vignette layer's opacity until the image
> looks right.
>
> To decrease the sharpness, contrast and/or saturation of the area your
> vignette darkens, apply these changes to the same layer created per the
> above instructions.
>
> :o)
>
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
>
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
>
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list