darktable plugin does not work

12

darktable plugin does not work

Developers mailing list
Since some time I cannot open raw files from GIMP.
darktable is correctly selected as raw plugin from the preference window
but - when I try to open a .NEF file - darktable starts but its window
remains black and hangs.
When dt window is killed GIMP says the Nikon import plugin failed.
I also launched GIMP from a terminal but cannot see any useful message...

Thanks,
Maurizio

Re: darktable plugin does not work

Tobias Ellinghaus
Am Dienstag, 9. April 2019, 08:09:07 CEST schrieb Maurizio Paglia via gimp-
developer-list:
> Since some time I cannot open raw files from GIMP.
> darktable is correctly selected as raw plugin from the preference window
> but - when I try to open a .NEF file - darktable starts but its window
> remains black and hangs.
> When dt window is killed GIMP says the Nikon import plugin failed.
> I also launched GIMP from a terminal but cannot see any useful message...

Does starting darktable directly, i.e., stand alone, work?

> Thanks,
> Maurizio

Tobias

Re: darktable plugin does not work

Developers mailing list
Yes, sure! It works well as usual.

Il giorno mar 9 apr 2019 alle ore 09:32 Tobias Ellinghaus <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> Am Dienstag, 9. April 2019, 08:09:07 CEST schrieb Maurizio Paglia via gimp-
> developer-list:
> > Since some time I cannot open raw files from GIMP.
> > darktable is correctly selected as raw plugin from the preference window
> > but - when I try to open a .NEF file - darktable starts but its window
> > remains black and hangs.
> > When dt window is killed GIMP says the Nikon import plugin failed.
> > I also launched GIMP from a terminal but cannot see any useful message...
>
> Does starting darktable directly, i.e., stand alone, work?
>
> > Thanks,
> > Maurizio
>
> Tobias_______________________________________________
> gimp-developer-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership:

Re: darktable plugin does not work

then the usual questions:
Gimp version?
Darktable version?
Operating System and Version?
If Linux X11 or Wayland?
Any thing else, that could help.

Regards,
Tobias

Am Di., 9. Apr. 2019 um 08:09 Uhr schrieb Maurizio Paglia via
gimp-developer-list <[hidden email]>:

> Since some time I cannot open raw files from GIMP.
> darktable is correctly selected as raw plugin from the preference window
> but - when I try to open a .NEF file - darktable starts but its window
> remains black and hangs.
> When dt window is killed GIMP says the Nikon import plugin failed.
> I also launched GIMP from a terminal but cannot see any useful message...
>
> Thanks,
> Maurizio

Re: darktable plugin does not work

Developers mailing list
Hi Tobias,
please apologize for my poor accuracy... you are right.
GIMP 2.10.10
darktable 2.6.2
OS Linux
Open SuSe Leap 15
X11 graphics

I upgraded GIMP yesterday from 2.10.4 to 2.10.10 and changed also the
repository furnisher (from 'graphics' to 'opensuseitalia') but the problem
was there also with GIMP 2.10.4 from 'graphics' repository.

Thanks!!
Maurizio

Il giorno mar 9 apr 2019 alle ore 11:55 Tobias Jakobs <
[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> then the usual questions:
> Gimp version?
> Darktable version?
> Operating System and Version?
> If Linux X11 or Wayland?
> Any thing else, that could help.
>
> Regards,
> Tobias
>

> Am Di., 9. Apr. 2019 um 08:09 Uhr schrieb Maurizio Paglia via
> gimp-developer-list <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Since some time I cannot open raw files from GIMP.
>> darktable is correctly selected as raw plugin from the preference window
>> but - when I try to open a .NEF file - darktable starts but its window
>> remains black and hangs.
>> When dt window is killed GIMP says the Nikon import plugin failed.
>> I also launched GIMP from a terminal but cannot see any useful message...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Maurizio

Re: darktable plugin does not work

Patrick Shanahan-3
* Maurizio Paglia via gimp-developer-list <[hidden email]> [04-09-19 07:25]:

> Hi Tobias,
> please apologize for my poor accuracy... you are right.
> GIMP 2.10.10
> darktable 2.6.2
> OS Linux
> Open SuSe Leap 15
> X11 graphics
>
> I upgraded GIMP yesterday from 2.10.4 to 2.10.10 and changed also the
> repository furnisher (from 'graphics' to 'opensuseitalia') but the problem
> was there also with GIMP 2.10.4 from 'graphics' repository.
>
> Thanks!!
> Maurizio
>
> Il giorno mar 9 apr 2019 alle ore 11:55 Tobias Jakobs <
> [hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > then the usual questions:
> > Gimp version?
> > Darktable version?
> > Operating System and Version?
> > If Linux X11 or Wayland?
> > Any thing else, that could help.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tobias

fwiw, I see the same

openSUSE Tumbleweed 20190403
gimp 2.10.10
darktable 2.7.0 git904.5db9e6d26-1135

and it did work at one time but has been several months ago.

I can provide a backtrace if needed as the failure is consistant.

Am Dienstag, 9. April 2019, 11:29:04 CEST schrieb Maurizio Paglia:
> Yes, sure! It works well as usual.

Well, then please try running GIMP like this:

DARKTABLE_DEBUG=green_is_my_pepper gimp

That should show some more debug prints.

Tobias

> Il giorno mar 9 apr 2019 alle ore 09:32 Tobias Ellinghaus <[hidden email]> ha
>
> scritto:
> > Am Dienstag, 9. April 2019, 08:09:07 CEST schrieb Maurizio Paglia via
> > gimp-
> >
> > developer-list:
> > > Since some time I cannot open raw files from GIMP.
> > > darktable is correctly selected as raw plugin from the preference window
> > > but - when I try to open a .NEF file - darktable starts but its window
> > > remains black and hangs.
> > > When dt window is killed GIMP says the Nikon import plugin failed.
> > > I also launched GIMP from a terminal but cannot see any useful
> > > message...
> >
> > Does starting darktable directly, i.e., stand alone, work?
> >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Maurizio
> >
> > Tobias_______________________________________________
> > gimp-developer-list mailing list
> > List address:    [hidden email]
> > List membership:

Re: darktable plugin does not work

Developers mailing list
Ciao Tobias,
here below the output for your knowledge.

mau@Zurg:~> DARKTABLE_DEBUG=green_is_my_pepper gimp
Skipping duplicate plug-in: '/usr/lib64/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/gmic_gimp_qt'
[file-darktable.c] trying to call 'darktable'
[file-darktable.c] stdout:
this is darktable 2.6.2
copyright (c) 2009-2019 johannes hanika
[hidden email]

compile options:
  bit depth is 64 bit
  normal build
  SSE2 optimized codepath enabled
  OpenMP support enabled
  OpenCL support enabled
  Lua support enabled, API version 5.0.1
  Colord support enabled
  gPhoto2 support enabled
  GraphicsMagick support enabled
  OpenEXR support enabled

[file-darktable.c] have_darktable: 1

Good night!
Maurizio

Am Dienstag, 9. April 2019, 23:08:54 CEST schrieb Maurizio Paglia:
> Ciao Tobias,
> here below the output for your knowledge.

[...]

> [file-darktable.c] have_darktable: 1

That looks good. Is there any more if you try to open a raw file from GIMP?

> Good night!
> Maurizio

Tobias

[...]

Re: darktable plugin does not work

Developers mailing list
Ciao,
here below messages I see when I try to open a raw file

[file-darktable.c] trying to call
    darktable
    --library
    :memory:
    --luacmd
    dofile('/usr/share/gimp/2.0/file-raw/file-darktable-export-on-exit.lua')
    --conf
    plugins/lighttable/export/icctype=3
    --conf
    lua/export_on_exit/export_filename=/tmp/gimp/2.10/gimp-temp-39040.exr
    /home/mau/Immagini/Archivio/2016-04 Mantova/_DSC0174.NEF

Now dt window is opened but completely black.
I force closing using the window bar.
Other messages after dt window is killed

(darktable:3943): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:68:35: The
style property GtkButton:child-displacement-x is deprecated and shouldn't
be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(darktable:3943): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:69:35: The
style property GtkButton:child-displacement-y is deprecated and shouldn't
be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(darktable:3943): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:71:36: The
style property GtkCheckMenuItem:indicator-size is deprecated and shouldn't
be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(darktable:3943): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:76:30: The
style property GtkExpander:expander-size is deprecated and shouldn't be
used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

Thank you again,
Maurizio

Am Donnerstag, 11. April 2019, 18:25:52 CEST schrieb Maurizio Paglia:

> Ciao,
> here below messages I see when I try to open a raw file
>
> [file-darktable.c] trying to call
>     darktable
>     --library
>
>     :memory:
>     --luacmd
>     dofile('/usr/share/gimp/2.0/file-raw/file-darktable-export-on-exit.lua')
> --conf
>     plugins/lighttable/export/icctype=3
>     --conf
>     lua/export_on_exit/export_filename=/tmp/gimp/2.10/gimp-temp-39040.exr
>     /home/mau/Immagini/Archivio/2016-04 Mantova/_DSC0174.NEF
That looks fine.

> Now dt window is opened but completely black.

Does dt consume CPU while sitting there?

> I force closing using the window bar.
> Other messages after dt window is killed

[GTK css errors]

Do you maybe have a version of dt that was compiled for another version of GTK
than what you have installed? Maybe something that was intended for another
release of your distro?

That being said, could you try to run the same command as lined out in the top
of the mail? With all the --conf arguments, ...? Maybe add a "-d lua" to it,
too.

> Thank you again,
> Maurizio

Tobias

PS: No need to mail me directly, I am on the mailing list.

[...]

Re: darktable plugin does not work

last tests results:

When dt is open with the black window there is no consumption of both RAM
and CPU

If I launch
mau@Zurg:~> darktable -d lua --library :memory: --luacmd
dofile('/usr/share/gimp/2.0/file-raw/file-darktable-export-on-exit.lua')

the terminal says
syntax error rean unexpected token "("

:-(
Maurizio

Il giorno ven 12 apr 2019 alle ore 12:01 Tobias Ellinghaus <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> Am Donnerstag, 11. April 2019, 18:25:52 CEST schrieb Maurizio Paglia:
> > Ciao,
> > here below messages I see when I try to open a raw file
> >
> > [file-darktable.c] trying to call
> >     darktable
> >     --library
> >
> >     :memory:
> >     --luacmd
> >
>  dofile('/usr/share/gimp/2.0/file-raw/file-darktable-export-on-exit.lua')
> > --conf
> >     plugins/lighttable/export/icctype=3
> >     --conf
> >     lua/export_on_exit/export_filename=/tmp/gimp/2.10/gimp-temp-39040.exr
> >     /home/mau/Immagini/Archivio/2016-04 Mantova/_DSC0174.NEF
>
> That looks fine.
>
> > Now dt window is opened but completely black.
>
> Does dt consume CPU while sitting there?
>
> > I force closing using the window bar.
> > Other messages after dt window is killed
>
> [GTK css errors]
>
> Do you maybe have a version of dt that was compiled for another version of
> GTK
> than what you have installed? Maybe something that was intended for another
> release of your distro?
>
> That being said, could you try to run the same command as lined out in the
> top
> of the mail? With all the --conf arguments, ...? Maybe add a "-d lua" to
> it,
> too.
>
> > Thank you again,
> > Maurizio
>
> Tobias
>
> PS: No need to mail me directly, I am on the mailing list.
>
> [...]

Re: darktable plugin does not work

Developers mailing list
Done another attempt.
If I launch
dofile('/usr/share/gimp/2.0/file-raw/file-darktable-export-on-exit.lua')
from a lua shell I obtain a lot of messages:
.../gimp/2.0/file-raw/file-darktable-export-on-exit.lua:32: module
'darktable' not found:
        no field package.preload['darktable']
        no file './darktable.lua'
        no file '/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/darktable.lua'
        no file '/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/darktable/init.lua'
        no file '/usr/local/lib64/lua/5.1/darktable.lua'
        no file '/usr/local/lib64/lua/5.1/darktable/init.lua'
        no file '/usr/share/lua/5.1/darktable.lua'
        no file '/usr/share/lua/5.1/darktable/init.lua'
        no file './darktable.so'
        no file '/usr/local/lib64/lua/5.1/darktable.so'
        no file '/usr/lib64/lua/5.1/darktable.so'
        no file '/usr/local/lib64/lua/5.1/loadall.so'
stack traceback:
        [C]: in function 'require'
        .../gimp/2.0/file-raw/file-darktable-export-on-exit.lua:32: in main
chunk
        [C]: in function 'dofile'
        stdin:1: in main chunk
        [C]: ?

Am Dienstag, 16. April 2019, 19:38:46 CEST schrieb Maurizio Paglia:
> Ciao Tobias,
> it works BUT I must remove tre space from the dir name i.e. change "2016-04
> Mantova" in "2016-04_Mantova"

Sorry, my bad, the spaces are of course a problem when starting it from the
shell directly. That shouldn't matter for the GIMP case though.

> If I do this I can fount foo.exr in /tmp

Good. That still leaves the question what is happening when darktable turns
black. Do you know how to attach gdb to a running process and get a backtrace?

> Thanks,
> Maurizio

Tobias

> Il giorno mar 16 apr 2019 alle ore 11:52 Maurizio Paglia
> <[hidden email]>
> ha scritto:
> > Thank you, I will try this evening at home.
> > Just for your information, yesterday evening I opened a new thread on
> > opensuse forum and discovered several users have the same problem on both
> > Leap and Tumbleweed.
> > Ciao,
> > Maurizio
> >
> > Il giorno mar 16 apr 2019 alle ore 10:30 Tobias Ellinghaus <[hidden email]>
> >
> > ha scritto:
> >> Am Freitag, 12. April 2019, 23:21:21 CEST schrieb Maurizio Paglia via
> >> gimp-
> >>
> >> developer-list:

> >> RAM

> >> Please try it like this:
> >>
> >> darktable -d lua --library :memory: --luacmd
> >> "dofile('/usr/share/gimp/2.0/file-
> >> raw/file-darktable-export-on-exit.lua')" --conf
> >> plugins/lighttable/export/
> >> icctype=3 --conf lua/export_on_exit/export_filename=/tmp/foo.exr
> >> /home/mau/
> >> Immagini/Archivio/2016-04 Mantova/_DSC0174.NEF
> >>
> >> In theory it should export to /tmp/foo.exr once you close darktable.

> >> Tobias

Re: darktable plugin does not work

Developers mailing list
Never done before :-(
If I search with Google:

Linux/BSD Users

1. Open your favorite Terminal program

2. Change to the directory containing the executable:

cd $HOME/myprograms/project1 {press enter}

3. Load your program with GDB:

gdb project1 {press enter}

Il giorno gio 18 apr 2019 alle ore 15:23 Tobias Ellinghaus <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> Am Dienstag, 16. April 2019, 19:38:46 CEST schrieb Maurizio Paglia:
> > Ciao Tobias,
> > it works BUT I must remove tre space from the dir name i.e. change
> "2016-04
> > Mantova" in "2016-04_Mantova"
>
> Sorry, my bad, the spaces are of course a problem when starting it from the
> shell directly. That shouldn't matter for the GIMP case though.
>
> > If I do this I can fount foo.exr in /tmp
>
> Good. That still leaves the question what is happening when darktable turns
> black. Do you know how to attach gdb to a running process and get a
> backtrace?
>
> > Thanks,
> > Maurizio
>
> Tobias
>
> > Il giorno mar 16 apr 2019 alle ore 11:52 Maurizio Paglia
> > <[hidden email]>
> > ha scritto:
> > > Thank you, I will try this evening at home.
> > > Just for your information, yesterday evening I opened a new thread on
> > > opensuse forum and discovered several users have the same problem on
> both
> > > Leap and Tumbleweed.
> > > Ciao,
> > > Maurizio
> > >
> > > Il giorno mar 16 apr 2019 alle ore 10:30 Tobias Ellinghaus <
> [hidden email]>

> both

> dofile('/usr/share/gimp/2.0/file-raw/file-darktable-export-on-exit.lua'

Re: darktable plugin does not work

Tobias Ellinghaus
Am Donnerstag, 18. April 2019, 16:17:26 CEST schrieb Maurizio Paglia via gimp-
developer-list:

> Never done before :-(
> If I search with Google:
>
> Linux/BSD Users
>
> 1. Open your favorite Terminal program
>
> 2. Change to the directory containing the executable:
>
> cd $HOME/myprograms/project1 {press enter}
>
> 3. Load your program with GDB:
>
> gdb project1 {press enter}
Almost. This should (more or less) work:

1. Start GIMP and open a raw file in there.

2. Wait for darktable to hang.

3. find the PID of darktable using "pidof" (or "ps").

4. run "gdb darktable 12345" with the PID instead of 12345.

5. Hit ctrl-c, you'll get a "(gdb) " prompt.

6. Enter this:

set pagination off
set logging file gdb.txt
set logging on
thread apply all bt full
quit

7. Send me the file "gdb.txt" that was created.

Tobias

> Il giorno gio 18 apr 2019 alle ore 15:23 Tobias Ellinghaus <[hidden email]> ha
>
> scritto:
> > Am Dienstag, 16. April 2019, 19:38:46 CEST schrieb Maurizio Paglia:
> > > Ciao Tobias,
> > > it works BUT I must remove tre space from the dir name i.e. change
> >
> > "2016-04
> >
> > > Mantova" in "2016-04_Mantova"
> >
> > Sorry, my bad, the spaces are of course a problem when starting it from
> > the
> > shell directly. That shouldn't matter for the GIMP case though.
> >
> > > If I do this I can fount foo.exr in /tmp
> >
> > Good. That still leaves the question what is happening when darktable
> > turns
> > black. Do you know how to attach gdb to a running process and get a
> > backtrace?
> >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Maurizio
> >
> > Tobias
> >
> > > Il giorno mar 16 apr 2019 alle ore 11:52 Maurizio Paglia
> > > <[hidden email]>

> > both

> > [hidden email]>

> > both

> > dofile('/usr/share/gimp/2.0/file-raw/file-darktable-export-on-exit.lua'

Re: darktable plugin does not work

Developers mailing list
Hi Tobias,
thank you so much for your help.
Attached the debugger file

Maurizio

gdb.txt (21K) Download Attachment

Am Freitag, 19. April 2019, 23:55:24 CEST schrieb Maurizio Paglia:
> Yes, I have a very long ~/.config/darktable/luarc
> file.
> You can find it enclosed.

I tried it with your file, and I can confirm that it hangs. However, for me it
also hangs when I call darktable directly using the long command line I gave
you. And I see several warnings printed. It seems this extension manager
script is exposing some bugs in dt's Lua code. For the time being I'd not use
it.

> Thanks,
> Maurizio

Tobias

[...]

Re: darktable plugin does not work

Developers mailing list
OK Tobias, thank you very much

Il giorno sab 20 apr 2019 alle ore 14:14 Tobias Ellinghaus <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> Am Freitag, 19. April 2019, 23:55:24 CEST schrieb Maurizio Paglia:
> > Yes, I have a very long ~/.config/darktable/luarc
> > file.
> > You can find it enclosed.
>
> I tried it with your file, and I can confirm that it hangs. However, for
> me it
> also hangs when I call darktable directly using the long command line I
> gave
> you. And I see several warnings printed. It seems this extension manager
> script is exposing some bugs in dt's Lua code. For the time being I'd not
> use
> it.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Maurizio
>
> Tobias
>
> [...]

Re: darktable plugin does not work

Developers mailing list
Hi!
More information.
My ~/.config/darktable/luarc is very articulated because it has been
modified in order to use the Script Manager by Bill Ferguson.
If I rename luarc in luarc.orig (so dt will ignore it on load) then GIMP
opens dt and dt will load the NEF file correctly!
When I exit GIMP the EXR file is created but GIMP will crash with the
following errors:

gimp:3034): GLib-ERROR **: gmem.c:100: failed to allocate
18446743819891776031 bytes
(file-exr:3230): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: file-exr: gimp_wire_read(): error
(file-darktable:3077): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: file-darktable:
gimp_wire_read(): error
(script-fu:3067): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: gimp_wire_read(): error

Il giorno sab 20 apr 2019 alle ore 14:49 Maurizio Paglia <[hidden email]>
ha scritto:

> OK Tobias, thank you very much
>
> Il giorno sab 20 apr 2019 alle ore 14:14 Tobias Ellinghaus <[hidden email]>
> ha scritto:
>
>> Am Freitag, 19. April 2019, 23:55:24 CEST schrieb Maurizio Paglia:
>> > Yes, I have a very long ~/.config/darktable/luarc
>> > file.
>> > You can find it enclosed.
>>
>> I tried it with your file, and I can confirm that it hangs. However, for
>> me it
>> also hangs when I call darktable directly using the long command line I
>> gave
>> you. And I see several warnings printed. It seems this extension manager
>> script is exposing some bugs in dt's Lua code. For the time being I'd not
>> use
>> it.
>>
>> > Thanks,
>> > Maurizio