crop without white space

billlee
I used the crop tool and cropped the image.  I then exported to .jpg however the
white space all around the image is still there.  I then used and add alpha
channel, cropped and inverted, deleted the white space.  I now have the
black/gray checkers, I then exported to .jpg and still have all the white space.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I'm using 2.10.6 on ubuntu.

claven123 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

crop without white space

billlee
>I used the crop tool and cropped the image.  I then exported to .jpg
>however the white space all around the image is still there.  I then
>used and add alpha channel, cropped and inverted, deleted the white
>space.  I now have the black/gray checkers, I then exported to .jpg
>and still have all the white space.  I'm not sure what I'm doing
>wrong.
>
>I'm using 2.10.6 on ubuntu.

Jpeg does not support transparency. You need to export using .png format

crop without white space

billlee
>Jpeg does not support transparency. You need to export using .png
>format

Ok, so I used the .png and I still get the white space.  I crop, then export to
.png and when I place it in word, I get an image with cropped image and white
space (which equals the original size image).

claven123 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

crop without white space

billlee
>Ok, so I used the .png and I still get the white space.  I crop, then
>export to .png and when I place it in word, I get an image with
>cropped image and white space (which equals the original size image).

I do not think you are actually cropping anything.

This is Gimp 2.10.6 in (k)ubuntu. I use a light theme but you should be able to
follow these screenshots

1. Use the the crop tool.

2. Draw on the canvas the area you want to crop. When it is marked hit the enter
key

3. That will leave the cropped image. Export that as a jpeg or png. Give it a
new name to differentiate from the original if required.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1002/original/01-crop.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1003/original/02-crop.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1004/original/03-crop.jpg

crop without white space

billlee
>I do not think you are actually cropping anything.
>
>This is Gimp 2.10.6 in (k)ubuntu. I use a light theme but you should
>be able to follow these screenshots
>
>1. Use the the crop tool.
>
>2. Draw on the canvas the area you want to crop. When it is marked hit
>the enter key
>
>3. That will leave the cropped image. Export that as a jpeg or png.
>Give it a new name to differentiate from the original if required.

That is exactly what I am doing.  I'm not sure what is in error.

Here is the output imported to odt file.

* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1005/original/Test1.odt

--
claven123 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

crop without white space

billlee
>That is exactly what I am doing.  I'm not sure what is in error.
>
>Here is the output imported to odt file.

I still say you are not cropping, maybe confusing the rectangular selection with
the crop tool and cutting, hence all the transparency.

This from your LO document, lots of transparency. screenshot 1

However, since you have an image with all that transparency and crop does not
seem to work for you.

Use Image -> Zealous Crop and your image will be trimmed to size.

In your document, together screenshot 2

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1006/original/03-crop.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1007/original/04-crop.jpg

crop without white space

billlee
>I still say you are not cropping, maybe confusing the rectangular
>selection with the crop tool and cutting, hence all the transparency.
>
>This from your LO document, lots of transparency. screenshot 1
>
>However, since you have an image with all that transparency and crop
>does not seem to work for you.
>
>Use Image -> Zealous Crop and your image will be trimmed to size.
>
>In your document, together screenshot 2

I tried the Zealous crop, still same result.

I've included screen shots of the procedure.

* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1008/original/Screenshot_from_2018-09-17_15-15-51.png
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1009/original/Screenshot_from_2018-09-17_15-16-09.png
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1010/original/Screenshot_from_2018-09-17_15-16-14.png
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1011/original/Screenshot_from_2018-09-17_15-22-35.png

--
claven123 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

crop without white space

billlee
>I tried the Zealous crop, still same result.
>
>I've included screen shots of the procedure.

OK, Untick 'Current layer only' in the crop tool options. That option is really
meant for when there are multiple layers and the layer is cropped but the canvas
remains the same size.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1012/original/untick.jpg

crop without white space

billlee
>OK, Untick 'Current layer only' in the crop tool options. That option
>is really meant for when there are multiple layers and the layer is
>cropped but the canvas remains the same size.

Thanks, That fixed it.  I have no idea how that got checked.  I've used the crop
tool quite a lot and never have had this issue before!!

claven123 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)