controlling background color

Spencer Graves
       How can I control background color?

       I've done File > Open > [a png file with a transparent background].

       This gives me an image with a transparent background.  I need a
white background.  I try Layer > "New Layer" > White, and the layer is
NOT white but a teal green that matches one of the colors in the image I
opened.  Layer > "New Layer" > "Background color" gives me the same teal
green, which the computer seems to think is white.  Layer > "New Layer"
 > "Foreground color" gives me black, which matches another of the
colors in the image.  I've tried using the "Bucket Fill" tool with the
new layer, so far without success.

       The image I'm trying to modify is the logo for the Citizens'
Climate Lobby, "CCL-Logo-H2.png", which I found by downloading the
entire web page from their web site (attached, in case your email system
will support this).  I'm using it in a place with a black background,
and all the lettering disappears.  See
"www.kkfi.org/program-episodes/citizens-climate-lobby-carbon-fee-dividend".

       I've tried this with both GIMP 2.10.8 and 2.8.22 under macOS 10.14.2.

       The capability surely exists.  Sadly, my web search efforts and
experimentation have so far failed to find how to fix this.

       Suggestions?
       Thanks,
       Spencer Graves

Re: controlling background color

Spencer Graves
       I solved this problem following a post "Re: frustrated" by
Alexandre Prokoudine via gimp-user-list <[hidden email]>.
Prokoudine suggested starting File > New.  I did that, specifying width
and height to match the image for which I wanted white (not transparent)
background.  I also clicked "Advanced Options" > "Fill with" White, then
"OK".  Then I copied the image for which I needed a white background and
pasted it onto the new file.  File > "Export as" png confirmed that I
had fixed the problem.

       Someone else could probably provide an easier, more direct way to
do this, but this worked.

       Thanks,
       Spencer Graves

On 2018-12-21 03:20, Spencer Graves wrote:

> How can I control background color?
>

>       I've done File > Open > [a png file with a transparent background].
>

>       This gives me an image with a transparent background.  I need a
> white background.  I try Layer > "New Layer" > White, and the layer is
> NOT white but a teal green that matches one of the colors in the image
> I opened.  Layer > "New Layer" > "Background color" gives me the same
> teal green, which the computer seems to think is white.  Layer > "New
> Layer" > "Foreground color" gives me black, which matches another of
> the colors in the image.  I've tried using the "Bucket Fill" tool with
> the new layer, so far without success.
>

>       The image I'm trying to modify is the logo for the Citizens'
> Climate Lobby, "CCL-Logo-H2.png", which I found by downloading the
> entire web page from their web site (attached, in case your email
> system will support this).  I'm using it in a place with a black
> background, and all the lettering disappears.  See
> "www.kkfi.org/program-episodes/citizens-climate-lobby-carbon-fee-dividend".
>

>       I've tried this with both GIMP 2.10.8 and 2.8.22 under macOS
> 10.14.2.
>

>       The capability surely exists.  Sadly, my web search efforts and
> experimentation have so far failed to find how to fix this.
>

>       Suggestions?
>       Thanks,
>       Spencer Graves

Re: controlling background color

Users mailing list
Spencer,

I tried replicating the issue you ran into and didn't manage to. If
you can share your PNG file, that might help (if there's a bug in
GIMP).

Alex

On 2018-12-21 11:01, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> Spencer,
>
> I tried replicating the issue you ran into and didn't manage to. If
> you can share your PNG file, that might help (if there's a bug in
> GIMP).

       See
"https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uwxubmh4lcoxx3n/AABUbehkTYfKd0InpenoyEZXa?dl=0".
This contains "CCL-Logo-H2.png" and "CCL-Logo1_6.xcf".  I imported the
png file, did Image > "Canvas size" > [Height = 251, y = 96] > Resize,
then saved the result as the xcf file.

       If the dropbox link doesn't work for you, please suggest how I
can get around this problem.  My initial post had the png file attached,
but the mailman software stripped it.

       Thanks,
       Spencer

> Alex
>
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 7:58 PM Spencer Graves
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>         I solved this problem following a post "Re: frustrated" by
>> Alexandre Prokoudine via gimp-user-list <[hidden email]>.
>> Prokoudine suggested starting File > New.  I did that, specifying width
>> and height to match the image for which I wanted white (not transparent)
>> background.  I also clicked "Advanced Options" > "Fill with" White, then
>> "OK".  Then I copied the image for which I needed a white background and
>> pasted it onto the new file.  File > "Export as" png confirmed that I
>> had fixed the problem.
>>

>>         Someone else could probably provide an easier, more direct way to
>> do this, but this worked.
>>

>>         Thanks,
>>         Spencer Graves
>>

>> On 2018-12-21 03:20, Spencer Graves wrote:
>>> How can I control background color?
>>>

>>>        I've done File > Open > [a png file with a transparent background].
>>>

>>>        This gives me an image with a transparent background.  I need a
>>> white background.  I try Layer > "New Layer" > White, and the layer is
>>> NOT white but a teal green that matches one of the colors in the image
>>> I opened.  Layer > "New Layer" > "Background color" gives me the same
>>> teal green, which the computer seems to think is white.  Layer > "New
>>> Layer" > "Foreground color" gives me black, which matches another of
>>> the colors in the image.  I've tried using the "Bucket Fill" tool with
>>> the new layer, so far without success.
>>>

>>>        The image I'm trying to modify is the logo for the Citizens'
>>> Climate Lobby, "CCL-Logo-H2.png", which I found by downloading the
>>> entire web page from their web site (attached, in case your email
>>> system will support this).  I'm using it in a place with a black
>>> background, and all the lettering disappears.  See
>>> "www.kkfi.org/program-episodes/citizens-climate-lobby-carbon-fee-dividend".
>>>

>>>        I've tried this with both GIMP 2.10.8 and 2.8.22 under macOS
>>> 10.14.2.
>>>

>>>        The capability surely exists.  Sadly, my web search efforts and
>>> experimentation have so far failed to find how to fix this.
>>>

>>>        Suggestions?
>>>        Thanks,
>>>        Spencer Graves

Re: controlling background color

Users mailing list
The png image is in indexed color mode.

I presume that white or black is not one of the colors in the original
image.

Setting Image in RGB mode ( Image > mode > RGB ) permits the usage of
all colors.

yours, Alain

On 2018-12-21 12:01, Daumail Alain via gimp-user-list wrote:
> The png image is in indexed color mode.
>
> I presume that white or black is not one of the colors in the original
> image.
>
> Setting Image in RGB mode ( Image > mode > RGB ) permits the usage of
> all colors.

       Great.  That's it.  After that, I could do Layer > "New Layer" >
"Fill with:  White", and actually get white!

       Thanks.  Spencer