configure: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Missing dep: appstream-glib >= 0.7.7

configure: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Missing dep: appstream-glib >= 0.7.7

Developers mailing list
Hi all,

The latest git pull of 2.99 won't build.  It gives me the error

"configure: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Missing dep: appstream-glib >= 0.7.7"

Ah, but I have appstream-glib >0.7.7 installed; built it from source and
installed it into the prefix I use for gimp.

Any ideas?

Re: configure: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Missing dep: appstream-glib >= 0.7.7

Kevin Cozens-2
On 2018-07-11 09:59 AM, richard brown via gimp-developer-list wrote:
> The latest git pull of 2.99 won't build.  It gives me the error
>
> "configure: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Missing dep: appstream-glib >= 0.7.7"
>

> Ah, but I have appstream-glib >0.7.7 installed; built it from source and
> installed it into the prefix I use for gimp.

Last night I discovered this (yet another) new dependency required to
compile GIMP. I'm still trying to compile it as my distro only has a 0.5
version of the library. I have no idea why it is needed. When I tried to
compile it I find it tries to ocmpile with support for RPM packaging. I
don't use RPM packaging on my machine.

Richard, I would have said that you need to installed the -dev package of
libappstream-glib installed on your machine except you buit-it yourself. I'm
trying to compile it myself but it isn't finding the yaml library even
though it is installed. If I get my compile to work I can dig in to the problem.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: configure: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Missing dep: appstream-glib >= 0.7.7

Shlomi Fish

Perhaps see https://linux.die.net/man/1/pkg-config - set PKG_CONFIG_PATH

> Any ideas?

Re: configure: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Missing dep: appstream-glib >= 0.7.7

Owen Cook

> The latest git pull of 2.99 won't build.  It gives me the error
>
> "configure: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Missing dep: appstream-glib >= 0.7.7"
>

> Ah, but I have appstream-glib >0.7.7 installed; built it from source and
> installed it into the prefix I use for gimp.

Just where is your appstream-glib.pc ?

You might have to alter your share/config.site if you use that, or your search path.

Owen

On 2018-07-11 10:47 AM, richard brown wrote:

> On 11/07/18 15:16, Kevin Cozens wrote:
>> On 2018-07-11 09:59 AM, richard brown via gimp-developer-list wrote:
>>> The latest git pull of 2.99 won't build. It gives me the error
>>>
>>> "configure: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Missing dep: appstream-glib >= 0.7.7"
>>
> I think it just needed the rpm stuff for some reason.  I installed rpm
> (don't use it either).
> I had to install a more recent gobject-introspection to get the more recent
> appstream-glib to build.  And yes, there's a bug with yaml and the meson
> build system.  see:
>
> https://github.com/ximion/appstream/issues/146
>
> I would add that you need a recent version of meson to get it to build
> properly too.
>
> I love dependency problems.

Indeed.  :P

This is the worse case of dependency problems for GIMP I have had to deal
with in quite a while. I need to compile appstream-glib which needed about
three other -dev packages. I then hit the yaml issue which required the
newer glib-introspection program. Trying to compile that required some other
package I don't have. About this point I gave up on trying to build git
master branch of GIMP.

If/when I update my distro to Mint 19 I'll try again.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: configure: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Missing dep: appstream-glib >= 0.7.7

On Wed, 2018-07-11 at 14:59 +0100, richard brown via gimp-developer-
list wrote:
> "configure: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Missing dep: appstream-glib >=
> 0.7.7"

On my system i edited configure to require 0.7.6 (which i have) and it
worked.

> Ah, but I have appstream-glib >0.7.7 installed; built it from source
> and installed it into the prefix I use for gimp.

Check there's a .pc file in $PREFIX/usr/lib/pkgconfig/ and also that
the directory containing it is in your PKG_PATH.

If so, check config.log to see what went wrong...

Liam (slave ankh)

Click here to have the slave beaten.

On 2018-07-13 09:40 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-07-11 at 14:59 +0100, richard brown via gimp-developer-
> list wrote:
>> "configure: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Missing dep: appstream-glib >=
>> 0.7.7"
>
> On my system i edited configure to require 0.7.6 (which i have) and it
> worked.

I thought about seeing if I could just modify configure to expect an older
version of the appstream-glib library. The version available for my distro
is 0.5 something which I thought might be too old. I already modified
configure to expect older versions of two other dependencies to save me
having to build newer versions.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: configure: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Missing dep: appstream-glib >= 0.7.7

Hi!

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 3:40 AM, Liam R E Quin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2018-07-11 at 14:59 +0100, richard brown via gimp-developer-
> list wrote:
> > "configure: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Missing dep: appstream-glib >=
> > 0.7.7"
>
> On my system i edited configure to require 0.7.6 (which i have) and it
> worked.

For the record, I just checked current code and actual minimum dep
(relatively to the functions I use from this lib) would be 0.6.7.
I could set a lower value, but really the development is barely started on
this feature, I will use more API soon so it may go back up soon anyway,
and I'm not sure if it is worth just going back and forth on dependency
versions.

Note that I originally chose this version 0.7.7 by looking at Debian
Testing, which is our base for deciding whether a version can a requirement
in the development GIMP.
Also this is development code. It is expected to get bumpy. We even
realized this dependency has problems to build on Windows, but it's ok. We
are confident that this will improve. This is not the first time (and won't
be the last) that we improve projects by using them, and in particular that
we make them going cross-platform. :-)

Jehan

> > Ah, but I have appstream-glib >0.7.7 installed; built it from source
> > and installed it into the prefix I use for gimp.
>
> Check there's a .pc file in $PREFIX/usr/lib/pkgconfig/ and also that
> the directory containing it is in your PKG_PATH.
> >

> If so, check config.log to see what went wrong...
>
> Liam (slave ankh)
>

> --
> Liam Quin - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/
> with fabulous vintage art and fascinating texts to read.
> Click here to have the slave beaten.

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net
Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot
Tipeee: https://www.tipeee.com/zemarmot

Re: configure: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Missing dep: appstream-glib >= 0.7.7

Liam R E Quin
On Tue, 2018-07-24 at 12:04 +0200, Jehan Pagès wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 3:40 AM, Liam R E Quin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2018-07-11 at 14:59 +0100, richard brown wrote:
> > > "configure: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Missing dep: appstream-glib
> >
> > On my system i edited configure to require 0.7.6 (which i have) and
> > it worked.
> >

> For the record, I just checked current code and actual minimum dep
> (relatively to the functions I use from this lib) would be 0.6.7.
> I could set a lower value, but really the development is barely
> started on
> this feature, I will use more API soon so it may go back up soon
> anyway,
> and I'm not sure if it is worth just going back and forth on
> dependency
> versions.

Might be worth considering 0.7.1 or so, as that'll be easier for quite
a few Linux distributions. But i wasn't complaining so much as giving
someone a way to get GIMP Master compiled. If by 0.6.7 you meant 0.7.6,
i'd suggest using that, as it's what several rolling/testing
distributions have, but it's not a big deal.

Note for others reading this: editing the generated "configure" is
fragile, of course - it'll get overwritten next time you run
autogen.sh. This is what you probably want in this case, rather than
mantaining your own separate versions of files stored in git, to avoid
future problems.

> Note that I originally chose this version 0.7.7 by looking at Debian
> Testing,

Yup. And it's not that unusual to have to build newer versions of
things; sometimes i look at changelogs to decide whether to do that or
to try & use the slightly older version, as here. Usually the Linux
distribution i use -- Mageia Linux -- catches up with (or is sometimes
ahead of) Debian Testing.

liam (slave ankh)

--
Liam Quin, https://www.holoweb.net/liam/cv/
Available for XML/Document/Information Architecture/

On 2018-07-24 06:04 AM, Jehan Pagès via gimp-developer-list wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 3:40 AM, Liam R E Quin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[snip]
> For the record, I just checked current code and actual minimum dep
> (relatively to the functions I use from this lib) would be 0.6.7.
[snip]
> Also this is development code. It is expected to get bumpy.

The addition of appstream-glib has been the biggest bump to date. When
dependencies get bumped I just download, compile, and install the new
version of the dependency. That hasn't worked with appsteram-glib.

This new dependency wants some support for RPM packages on a system that
doesn't use RPM for package management. It also needed another dependency
that I needed to compile but that needed yet another package. At that point
I gave up trying to satisfy the need for appstream-glib.

What is appstream-glib and how is it going to be used in GIMP?

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 8:04 PM, Kevin Cozens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-07-24 06:04 AM, Jehan Pagès via gimp-developer-list wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 3:40 AM, Liam R E Quin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>
>> For the record, I just checked current code and actual minimum dep
>> (relatively to the functions I use from this lib) would be 0.6.7.
>>
> [snip]
>
>> Also this is development code. It is expected to get bumpy.
>>

> The addition of appstream-glib has been the biggest bump to date. When
> dependencies get bumped I just download, compile, and install the new
> version of the dependency. That hasn't worked with appsteram-glib.
>
> This new dependency wants some support for RPM packages on a system that
> doesn't use RPM for package management. It also needed another dependency
> that I needed to compile but that needed yet another package. At that point
> I gave up trying to satisfy the need for appstream-glib.

RPM libs and tools are available on most (if not all) distributions that I
know of, even when based on other package systems (like .deb packages). :-)
This being said, in appstream-glib, RPM support is an option. I'm not sure
what it is used for, but I doubt we use anything related to this in GIMP.
You should not try to make featureful builds of dependencies at the first
attempt.

> What is appstream-glib and how is it going to be used in GIMP?

This is a lib to process the AppStream metadata format. This is used for
the new extension management system. I don't think that anyone will be ok
to have builds without this feature, when it will be released, considering
how important it will be, hence that's not an option. :-)

Note that I use the future because even though current dev code use this
already, this will show its importance in more code to come. But it still
has to be non-optional dep because we are no going to make our lives more
difficult just for the sake of it.

I remind (just in case!) that master code is for development. It is
certainly not advised for daily use, in particular. And we are not going to
develop with outdated versions of libraries for instance (unless you want
to see features be released with completely outdated code). So yes, we use
recent versions (while still being reasonnable, hence the famous "at least
available in Debian Testing" rule). A developer is expected to run such a
modern OS for developer, not a LTS or other old distributions for "stable"
systems.

Then there is the question of Windows or macOS. We hope we can help these
libraries to become cross-platform soon (same as we helped libmypaint to be
easily cross-compiled, as well as GExiv2, and many others… wasn't there
libheif also recently?). That's what we do all the time. And hopefully this
will happen again.
Now I am not saying it is impossible that we ever get back and use
something else if it turns out really too complicated a task. But we need
to at least try and go this way first. I currently see no reasons why it
would turn out impossible to improve the library to be more cross-platform,
as we did it for many others. That's what development is for.

Jehan