can anybody help me to get rid of the white background of a layer?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

can anybody help me to get rid of the white background of a layer?

programmer_ceds
I am a total newbie of using gimp. I tried to combine three plots into a figure,
but got the first plot having white background. Is there way to remove the white
background and then merge all the layers into one, and then fill the background
with white? Thanks,

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/510/original/cyclotron_mass_3layer.xcf

--
bsmile (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

can anybody help me to get rid of the white background of a layer?

programmer_ceds
>I am a total newbie of using gimp. I tried to combine three plots into
>a figure, but got the first plot having white background. Is there way
>to remove the white background and then merge all the layers into one,
>and then fill the background with white? Thanks,

First an explanation as to why you will run into problems trying to adjust your
3 layers.

The background layer has both alpha (transparency) and pixels locked. You might
have done this to fix the layer location. That is not their purpose. Easy to
click on the icons  and unlock. see attachment

Then you could apply Colors -> Color-to-Alpha to remove the white and put a new
white layer at the very bottom of the stack.

However the quickest way.

With the top layer active Layer -> New Layer from visible to combine the 3
layers.

With the background colour white. Layer -> Transparency -> Remove Alpha Channel
see attachment.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/511/original/locked.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/512/original/4layers.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/513/original/cyclotron_mass_4layer.xcf

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

can anybody help me to get rid of the white background of a layer?

programmer_ceds
>First an explanation as to why you will run into problems trying to
>adjust your 3 layers.
>
>The background layer has both alpha (transparency) and pixels locked.
>You might have done this to fix the layer location. That is not their
>purpose. Easy to click on the icons  and unlock. see attachment
>
>Then you could apply Colors -> Color-to-Alpha to remove the white and
>put a new white layer at the very bottom of the stack.
>
>However the quickest way.
>
>With the top layer active Layer -> New Layer from visible to combine
>the 3 layers.
>
>With the background colour white. Layer -> Transparency -> Remove
>Alpha Channel see attachment.
>
>rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Thanks for the clear explanation. I have followed both your ways to fix the
issue. Actually it seems skipping creating a new layer from visible also works,
just unlock the lowest layer which I have no idea when locked, and then merge
till the last, then remove the alpha channel, that seems to give the same
result.

Towards your second way, I have the following questions would be really
appreciated if you could help,


(1) wouldn't filling in the top layer with color overshadow the layers beneath
it?
(2) after merging layers into one, can I still operate on previous layers? most
likely not, if so then what's the purpose to create a new layer from visible? I
followed this concern to come up with my own mentioned above.
(3) is removing alpha channel equivalent to filling the background with white?


BTW, how do I see whether the pixel and alpha channel are unlocked? I clicked on
it, but no signs showing that they are unlocked although indeed then I can erase
and make modifications.

--
bsmile (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

can anybody help me to get rid of the white background of a layer?

programmer_ceds
>Thanks for the clear explanation. I have followed both your ways to
>fix the issue. Actually it seems skipping creating a new layer from
>visible also works, just unlock the lowest layer which I have no idea
>when locked, and then merge till the last, then remove the alpha
>channel, that seems to give the same result.
>
>Towards your second way, I have the following questions would be
>really appreciated if you could help,
>
>
>(1) wouldn't filling in the top layer with color overshadow the layers
>beneath it?
>(2) after merging layers into one, can I still operate on previous
>layers? most likely not, if so then what's the purpose to create a new
>layer from visible? I followed this concern to come up with my own
>mentioned above.
>(3) is removing alpha channel equivalent to filling the background
>with white?
>
>
>BTW, how do I see whether the pixel and alpha channel are unlocked? I
>clicked on it, but no signs showing that they are unlocked although
>indeed then I can erase and make modifications.

The second way

(1) (2) Yes, Losing the alpha-channel on the new-from-visible does hide the
layers under it. The main reason for using it is non-destructive. The original
layers will be there in case later editing is required. Remember to save your
work in xcf format. All layers, masks, guides, text layers .... are saved.

The new-from-visible layer can be hidden by toggling layer visibility - the
little eye icon.

(3) Removing the alpha channel will replace transparent pixels with the
background colour, not necessarily white.

Lock pixels/alpha icons state can be a little difficult to see when using
Windows. That screenshot I put up is in linux. Look for a border after clicking
the icon - see attachment

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/514/original/toggled.jpg

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list