blured text on PDF-export

Users mailing list
Dear Gimp developers / users,
recently did I worked on some PDF-files. I was very pleased how easily
you can import PDF-files and have the full range of tools available to
modify these files inside Gimp.Unfortunately all text got blur out as
I exported the documents back to PDF.
Do you know any way to avoid this blurring during export?
With best regards -

Re: blured text on PDF-export

Users mailing list
oh!

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 at 03:43, Alex via gimp-user-list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Gimp developers / users,
> recently did I worked on some PDF-files. I was very pleased how easily
> you can import PDF-files and have the full range of tools available to
> modify these files inside Gimp.Unfortunately all text got blur out as
> I exported the documents back to PDF.
> Do you know any way to avoid this blurring during export?
> With best regards -
> Alex

Re: blured text on PDF-export

On Mon, 2020-09-21 at 00:06 +0200, Alex via gimp-user-list wrote:
> Dear Gimp developers / users,
> recently did I worked on some PDF-files. I was very pleased how
> easily
> you can import PDF-files and have the full range of tools available
> modify these files inside Gimp.

What you are actually doing is converting the PDF vector format to a
bitmap image and editing that. Text  will then only be sharp at the
resolution you used for the import.

You may find inkscape or sk1 preserves the text better.

Liam

(slave ankh on IRC)

--
Liam Quin -  https://www.fromoldbooks.org/

Click here to have the slave rewarded with extra chores.

Re: blured text on PDF-export

Liam R E Quin
On Mon, 2020-09-21 at 20:49 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> No, I imported several scans, edited the background to remove
> scan-errorsand exported as PDF again. I never changed text and
> document-size.

Did you change dots per inch? The PDF import does not know the dpi
setting used for the original scans, and defaults to a very low value
(72dpi as i recall, where scanned text should normally be at least
300dpi).

Note also that PDF isn't a good way to store images, as the JPEG
compression tends to be lossy and the images can deteriorate each time
you load and export them (in any program, not only gimp).

Liam

(slave ankh on IRC)

PS: please remember to "reply to all" to incude the list - it's more
likely you'll get answers that way.