apply gradient to text, include & preserve alphs

apply gradient to text, include & preserve alphs

Alussam
I've tried about 15 solutions that describe applying a gradient to text, and
can't figure out how to include the tiny alpha'ed outlines around the letters.
The results look great, but not impeccable.

I start with black text and I've tried selecting it with layer -> transparency
-> alpha-to-selection AND with select by color, but when you zoom, you can see
some of the pixel borders are left out of the selection.  I can get those
borders included by increasing the threshold on select-by-color, but when I
apply the gradient it doesn't preserve the alpha values and ends using a solid
color (worse/blockey result).

Any tips are welcome!

--
ottenm (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: apply gradient to text, include & preserve alphs

Ofnuts-2
On 2/2/20 9:04 PM, ottenm wrote:

> I've tried about 15 solutions that describe applying a gradient to text, and
> can't figure out how to include the tiny alpha'ed outlines around the letters.
> The results look great, but not impeccable.
>
> I start with black text and I've tried selecting it with layer -> transparency
> -> alpha-to-selection AND with select by color, but when you zoom, you can see
> some of the pixel borders are left out of the selection.  I can get those
> borders included by increasing the threshold on select-by-color, but when I
> apply the gradient it doesn't preserve the alpha values and ends using a solid
> color (worse/blockey result).
>
> Any tips are welcome!

This is exactly what the alpha-lock is for. Set the alpha-lock on the
layer, and apply the gradient on the whole layer (without any
selection). The alpha-lock will take care of the pixels on the edges.

Alpha-lock is documented here:
https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-dialogs-structure.html#gimp-layer-dialog-lock-alpha-button