Yet another collection of brushes and patterns..

Yet another collection of brushes and patterns..

centipede-3
Howdy folks, and thanks for a great program.

I don't know where you keep you link section for external resources, but
if you want to add my brushes and patterns, feel free to do so. All is
free and homemade so no strings attached. I use most of it for game
graphics, and it works sweet. One do have to figure out how to use them
first, though :)

I add to the collection every now and then.

Stuff: http://www.artcamilla.dk/vaultage/cornucopia/
Examples of use: http://www.artcamilla.dk/vaultage/examples/

Have fun and keep coding, it makes the world happy..

Sincerely
Rene Jensen

Re: Yet another collection of brushes and patterns..

Carol Spears
On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 06:52:25PM +0200, Rene Jensen wrote:

> Howdy folks, and thanks for a great program.
>
> I don't know where you keep you link section for external resources, but
> if you want to add my brushes and patterns, feel free to do so. All is
> free and homemade so no strings attached. I use most of it for game
> graphics, and it works sweet. One do have to figure out how to use them
> first, though :)
>
> I add to the collection every now and then.
>
> Stuff: http://www.artcamilla.dk/vaultage/cornucopia/
> Examples of use: http://www.artcamilla.dk/vaultage/examples/
>
> Have fun and keep coding, it makes the world happy..

thank you for sharing this!

i was particularly pleased to see the python scripts there.  i am even
sorry that i did not pay attention in my math classes enough to have
conceived of such an approach to brushes.  my thank you extends beyond
the actual scripting but to the fact you were paying attention to some
thing.

http://www.artcamilla.dk/vaultage/cornucopia/gimp-plugins/

carol

Re: Yet another collection of brushes and patterns..

Eric P-3
The examples look beautiful!  Do you have any tutorials/techniques you
can share on how you create such nice naturalism in the Gimp?

Also, could you provide an archive of your brushes/patterns etc. for
easier download (zip/tgz/whatever)?

Thanks,
Eric P.

Rene Jensen wrote:

>Howdy folks, and thanks for a great program.
>
>I don't know where you keep you link section for external resources, but
>if you want to add my brushes and patterns, feel free to do so. All is
>free and homemade so no strings attached. I use most of it for game
>graphics, and it works sweet. One do have to figure out how to use them
>first, though :)
>
>I add to the collection every now and then.
>
>Stuff: http://www.artcamilla.dk/vaultage/cornucopia/
>Examples of use: http://www.artcamilla.dk/vaultage/examples/
>
>Have fun and keep coding, it makes the world happy..
>
>Sincerely
>Rene Jensen

Re: Yet another collection of brushes and patterns..

Eric P-3
Rene,

I just have to reiterate... these brushes and patterns are second to
none!  Have you considered what kind of license to attach to your work?
  If possible, it would be wonderful if a majority of these were added
to the default Gimp install (devs, listening?).

Everyone else, please try out the plethora of animated brushes Rene has
created and tell me if your jaw doesn't drop.  Ditto for the patterns.

I think several (not all) of the current default brushes and patterns
could go away, and Rene's work added.  Rene's are all much higher
quality (resolution and [subjectively] visually).

Eric P.

Rene Jensen wrote:

> Howdy folks, and thanks for a great program.
>
> I don't know where you keep you link section for external resources, but
> if you want to add my brushes and patterns, feel free to do so. All is
> free and homemade so no strings attached. I use most of it for game
> graphics, and it works sweet. One do have to figure out how to use them
> first, though :)
>
> I add to the collection every now and then.
>
> Stuff: http://www.artcamilla.dk/vaultage/cornucopia/
> Examples of use: http://www.artcamilla.dk/vaultage/examples/
>
> Have fun and keep coding, it makes the world happy..
>
> Sincerely
> Rene Jensen

Re: Yet another collection of brushes and patterns..

centipede-3
> none!  Have you considered what kind of license to attach to your work?

Not at all, except for the fact that people can do anything they want with
it. Which one do you suggest?

>   If possible, it would be wonderful if a majority of these were added
> to the default Gimp install (devs, listening?).

I'll be glad if they were. In fact if that happens, I'll keep on producing
so many of them that the devs would _have_ to make a category browser for
both brushes and patterns - hohoho I'm pure evil >:-]

Also do note that the collection is rather huge, spacewise. And I would like
to retain the local version at my web-home - www.artcamilla.dk/vaultage.
Those ducks really do speak latin, I can't leave them all alone in this
world!

ARCHIVES (textures, brushes, patterns):
http://artcamilla.dk/vaultage/cornucopia/20050501.tgz
http://artcamilla.dk/vaultage/cornucopia/20050501.zip

Regards
Rene Jensen

Re: Yet another collection of brushes and patterns..

Richard C. Steffens
On Sunday 01 May 2005 3:15 pm, Centipede wrote:
> > none!  Have you considered what kind of license to attach to your work?
>
> Not at all, except for the fact that people can do anything they want with
> it. Which one do you suggest?

(IANAL -- I Am Not A Lawyer -- but...)

"anything they want" is the reason to choose a license. While I can't put
google on it, somewhere I've read about software that wasn't protected by the
GPL. Later, there was a problem proving that it was indeed free software.
Putting your code under the GPL license allows anyone to use the code, but
doesn't let them place restrictions on its distribution.

If you don't mind someone incorporating your work in something that they sell
with a restricted license, you could choose a license similar to the one used
by the BSD folks. I'm pretty sure, that's the underlying OS in Mac OS-X. And
I'm also pretty sure the networking code in it is the basis for MS networking
(someone once did a character search on the Windows code files and found the
Berkeley license embedded in the code -- which is OK with Berkeley.)

So, I would encourage you to read up on the GPL and other licenses, or work
with the Gimp developers on choosing an appropriate license for your work,
but in any case, place your code under the protection of some form of
license.

And, most importantly, thanks for your contribution.

Dick Steffens

Re: Yet another collection of brushes and patterns..

centipede-3

> "anything they want" is the reason to choose a license. While I can't put
> google on it, somewhere I've read about software that wasn't protected by the
> GPL. Later, there was a problem proving that it was indeed free software.
> Putting your code under the GPL license allows anyone to use the code, but
> doesn't let them place restrictions on its distribution.

I've added a Creative Commons license. If you need any further
privileges to add brushes and patterns to the native GIMP resource set
(if the developers are interested in that) then just say so.

Thank for your help btw.

Regards
Rene Jensen

Re: Yet another collection of brushes and patterns..

Olivier Ripoll
Rene Jensen wrote:

> Howdy folks, and thanks for a great program.
>
> I don't know where you keep you link section for external resources, but
> if you want to add my brushes and patterns, feel free to do so. All is
> free and homemade so no strings attached. I use most of it for game
> graphics, and it works sweet. One do have to figure out how to use them
> first, though :)
>
> I add to the collection every now and then.
>
> Stuff: http://www.artcamilla.dk/vaultage/cornucopia/
> Examples of use: http://www.artcamilla.dk/vaultage/examples/
>
> Have fun and keep coding, it makes the world happy..
>
> Sincerely
> Rene Jensen

They are gorgeous! I am very impressed by the quality. I tested 4 (3
textures and 1 pastel) and they would really be nice addition to gimp.
Thanks and congratulations.

Sincerely,

Olivier.

Re: Re: Yet another collection of brushes and patterns..

"Rikard Johnels"
On Monday 02 May 2005 11.24, Olivier Ripoll wrote:

> Rene Jensen wrote:
> > Howdy folks, and thanks for a great program.
> >
> > I don't know where you keep you link section for external resources, but
> > if you want to add my brushes and patterns, feel free to do so. All is
> > free and homemade so no strings attached. I use most of it for game
> > graphics, and it works sweet. One do have to figure out how to use them
> > first, though :)
> >
> > I add to the collection every now and then.
> >
> > Stuff: http://www.artcamilla.dk/vaultage/cornucopia/
> > Examples of use: http://www.artcamilla.dk/vaultage/examples/
> >
> > Have fun and keep coding, it makes the world happy..
> >
> > Sincerely
> > Rene Jensen
>
> They are gorgeous! I am very impressed by the quality. I tested 4 (3
> textures and 1 pastel) and they would really be nice addition to gimp.
> Thanks and congratulations.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Olivier.

Excuse a newbie like me (when it comes to script etc)
Where exactly do i put the .py scripts so graciously shared?
I have tried several different locations ( ~/.gimp/scripts ~/.gimp/plug-ins
~/.gimp/modules) but i cant seem to find the plugin anywhere.
The source (if i read it right) should end up under /Python-fu/Alchemy
But all i have there is Clothify...

And yes, i have restarted Gimp in between moving the script around..

I think i have the brushes allright..
Havent tried the patterns or textures yet (Still working out where to put
them)

--

         /Rikard

" Sharing knowledge is the most fundamental act of friendship.
Because it is a way you can give something without loosing something."
                -R. Stallman

Re: Re: Yet another collection of brushes and patterns..

centipede-3
> Where exactly do i put the .py scripts so graciously shared?
> I have tried several different locations ( ~/.gimp/scripts ~/.gimp/plug-ins
> ~/.gimp/modules) but i cant seem to find the plugin anywhere.
> The source (if i read it right) should end up under /Python-fu/Alchemy
> But all i have there is Clothify...

I don't understand this? My files are in:

  brushes ==> .gimp-2.2/brushes
  patterns ==> .gimp-2.2/patterns
  python scripts ==> .gimp-2.2/plug-ins

and the scripts appear under (when right-clicking on an open image, not
in the generic python menu):
Python-fu/Alchemy/Brushpipe-curve/rotate-layers

> I think i have the brushes allright..
> Havent tried the patterns or textures yet (Still working out where to put
> them)

The textures are not meant for GIMP but for 3D programs. Actually the
patterns are [possibly scaled-down] copies of the textures.

Sincerely Rene

Re: Re: Yet another collection of brushes and patterns..

Owen-24
On Wed, 4 May 2005 22:58:47 +0200
"\"Rikard Johnels\"" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Excuse a newbie like me (when it comes to script etc)
> Where exactly do i put the .py scripts so graciously shared?
> I have tried several different locations ( ~/.gimp/scripts ~/.gimp/plug-ins
> ~/.gimp/modules) but i cant seem to find the plugin anywhere.
> The source (if i read it right) should end up under /Python-fu/Alchemy
> But all i have there is Clothify...

in my /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/ all the plugins have 755 permissions.

What permissions do you have for script?

Owen

On Thursday 05 May 2005 10.15, Owen wrote:

> On Wed, 4 May 2005 22:58:47 +0200
>
> "\"Rikard Johnels\"" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Excuse a newbie like me (when it comes to script etc)
> > Where exactly do i put the .py scripts so graciously shared?
> > I have tried several different locations ( ~/.gimp/scripts
> > ~/.gimp/plug-ins ~/.gimp/modules) but i cant seem to find the plugin
> > anywhere.
> > The source (if i read it right) should end up under /Python-fu/Alchemy
> > But all i have there is Clothify...
>
> in my /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/ all the plugins have 755 permissions.
>
> What permissions do you have for script?
>

> Owen

I changed them to 755 and now they work...
Probably the "fault" :)

Thanx all who replied!