Xsane with Gimp on Mac OS X

Two years ago, someone in this list explained that there was no support for
scanner in Gimp for Mac OSX,. I'd like to know if things changed in the
latest developments.

I use Sierra, Gimp 2.10 and my scanner is a CanoScan 5600F. Should I move
to another OS to use my scanner with Gimp or is there a way to make this
work on OS X?

Thanks for any advise!

dw

Re: Xsane with Gimp on Mac OS X

Developers mailing list
Hmm... is something broken with the TWAIN scanner plugin on Mac, or perhaps
have scanner drivers moved away from using the TWAIN system and so that's
not picking up your driver?

(I ported the TWAIN driver to support Mac in 2004, and it seems to still be
in the source code, so I would expect it to be included in builds by
default.)

-- brion

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 9:24 AM Alain Jennotte via gimp-developer-list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Two years ago, someone in this list explained that there was no support for
> scanner in Gimp for Mac OSX,. I'd like to know if things changed in the
> latest developments.
>
> I use Sierra, Gimp 2.10 and my scanner is a CanoScan 5600F. Should I move
> to another OS to use my scanner with Gimp or is there a way to make this
> work on OS X?
>
> Thanks for any advise!
>
> dw

Re: Xsane with Gimp on Mac OS X

Developers mailing list
Ah, it was removed in 2016 in commit
8bb48ac5de915cf5b6f2136541c403101ddee52a:

"Bug 555525 - 64 Bit Build on Mac OS X Leopard fails...

...because of TWAIN interface

Remove all Mac TWAIN stuff, we will get proper OS X scanner support
pretty soon."

-- brion

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 9:56 AM Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm... is something broken with the TWAIN scanner plugin on Mac, or
> perhaps have scanner drivers moved away from using the TWAIN system and so
> that's not picking up your driver?
>
> (I ported the TWAIN driver to support Mac in 2004, and it seems to still
> be in the source code, so I would expect it to be included in builds by
> default.)
>
> -- brion
>
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 9:24 AM Alain Jennotte via gimp-developer-list <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Two years ago, someone in this list explained that there was no support
>> for
>> scanner in Gimp for Mac OSX,. I'd like to know if things changed in the
>> latest developments.
>>
>> I use Sierra, Gimp 2.10 and my scanner is a CanoScan 5600F. Should I move
>> to another OS to use my scanner with Gimp or is there a way to make this
>> work on OS X?
>>
>> Thanks for any advise!
>>
>> dw

Re: Xsane with Gimp on Mac OS X

Kristian Rietveld

> On 29 Dec 2018, at 18:56, Brion Vibber via gimp-developer-list <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hmm... is something broken with the TWAIN scanner plugin on Mac, or perhaps
> have scanner drivers moved away from using the TWAIN system and so that's
> not picking up your driver?

The TWAIN driver had issues on macOS. I think that for macOS the right way forward is to implement a plugin that uses the ImageCapture libraries. This will give you imports from scanners as well as cameras (including iphones/ipads) for all devices that ship with appropriate macOS drivers.

I once started working on such a plugin but I have no interest in finishing it at this moment. It is not in a good enough shape to put in git. If anyone wants to continue working on this, let me know and I will happily share the code that I wrote as a starting point.

regards,

-kris.

Re: Xsane with Gimp on Mac OS X

Developers mailing list
At one point, I was thinking the same thing! Also for Windows, use the
native libraries.

Can you share your code offline with me? I'm not promising obviously since
I'm not at all a good programmer.

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 4:22 AM Kristian Rietveld <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 29 Dec 2018, at 18:56, Brion Vibber via gimp-developer-list <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hmm... is something broken with the TWAIN scanner plugin on Mac, or
> perhaps
> > have scanner drivers moved away from using the TWAIN system and so that's
> > not picking up your driver?
>
> The TWAIN driver had issues on macOS. I think that for macOS the right way
> forward is to implement a plugin that uses the ImageCapture libraries. This
> will give you imports from scanners as well as cameras (including
> iphones/ipads) for all devices that ship with appropriate macOS drivers.
>
> I once started working on such a plugin but I have no interest in
> finishing it at this moment. It is not in a good enough shape to put in
> git. If anyone wants to continue working on this, let me know and I will
> happily share the code that I wrote as a starting point.
>

> regards,
>
> -kris.

Re: Xsane with Gimp on Mac OS X

Kristian Rietveld

> On 31 Dec 2018, at 14:32, Partha Bagchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> At one point, I was thinking the same thing! Also for Windows, use the native libraries.

Perhaps there could even be one UI that works with both backends; not sure though.

> Can you share your code offline with me? I'm not promising obviously since I'm not at all a good programmer.

Yea that’s fine, I will mail you a tarball once I dug up the code.

regards,

-kris.